Fixing the Weapon Names

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Fixing the Weapon Names

Post by Turuk »

*shrugs*

I have been in a few arms museums that have defined it as such, but the internet prevails.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
melinath

Post by melinath »

I have to admit, for me it's just a matter of preferring the word morning star to the word flail. I think it would be good to be consistent within Wesnoth. The only question is: consistent in what direction?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

melinath wrote:I have to admit, for me it's just a matter of preferring the word morning star to the word flail. I think it would be good to be consistent within Wesnoth. The only question is: consistent in what direction?
Give a good reason for picking a standard, and I'll make it consistent across all the units. Do we want to distinguish between the three weapons or just leave it to two?
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

The distinction between a morningstar and mace seems pretty hazy to me. I've generally thought of a morningstar as not having a head--Kitty's female outlaw portrait has *exactly* what I imagined it to be--but Wikipedia doesn't agree with me on this. Sources do seem to agree that a flail is only called a morningstar out of fallacy, though. I'd be perfectly happy if you made the distinction between flail and mace, and ignored morningstar.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I think the term "morning star" fits the Mage of Light's theme particularly well, whether intentional or not. If the definition is debatable, why change it for the MoL?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

For myself: I wouldn't mind seeing anything with a chain called a flail, except for the MoL's which for the reasons Aethaeryn suggested, would be good to stay called a morning star, and everything without a chain to be called a mace if it has some form of head, or a club if not (i'd count the female outlaw's for instance, as a bace, because i has a distinct head portion, even though it's not really separate from the handle)...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I'd prefer if the footpad and thug lines have their weapons be called clubs and reserve 'mace' for HI and the like, though TSI's proposal sounds good too.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The difficulty with that is that the sprites and some of the portraits done so far for those lines definitely DO have maces of one sort or another...
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
melinath

Post by melinath »

I would definitely not call what the footpad has a mace. It's a club. A reinforced club, but still a club.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Finalized and committed per the idea posted by TSI.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

melinath wrote:I would definitely not call what the footpad has a mace. It's a club. A reinforced club, but still a club.
Checked out the male Outlaw portrait's one?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I was basing my thoughts on weapon names/changes on what the unit has in the sprite, as this will be what the player sees the most to reference the weapon name that appears for an attack.
melinath

Post by melinath »

thespaceinvader wrote:Checked out the male Outlaw portrait's one?
And that is what I'd call a mace.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

These are sensible changes:
Skrim wrote:Merman Hoplite: Trident -> Spear or Pike

Merman Triton: Trident -> Halberd/Poleaxe thingy

Longbowman/Master Bowman: Bow -> Longbow

Royal Guard/General/Grand Marshal/Grand Knight/Cavalier: Sword -> Longsword

These following ones are crappy fantasyisms. An elven bow is just a bow. The paladin's sword is not special, you're just seeing it in "heroic pose" in the icon. It's the user that makes it arcane, not the sword.
Skrim wrote:Paladin: Sword -> Empowered Sword or Arcane Sword

Elves: Sword -> Backsword or Elven Sword

Elves(except for Marksman/Sharpshooter): Bow -> Elven Bow

Elvish Marksman/Sharpshooter: Longbow -> Elven Longbow
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

It's the user that makes it arcane, not the sword.
Really? Neat. I thought the Paladins were just using fancy swords and had no magical ability in themselves.

In hindsight, the Elven thingies were crappy fantasyisms, I agree.