The Era of Strife

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jami

The Era of Strife

Post by Jami »

Hello folks.

Some of you may have noticed that over the last few months several faction ideas have been proposed on this board and partially implemented before being abandoned either due to neglect, or lack of a playable platform.

Some of the factions were not viable, others are little more than redone versions of existing factions (the xxx elves, loyalist clones, etc) However, many of them had merit and seeing the ideas fall to the wayside felt much like a crime.

It is because of that, that I have decided to collect as many active faction developers as I am capable, along with voulenteer sprite artists to create a new era. An era that may one day, hopefully, be as well played as EoM or EE.

It's name is the Era of Strife.

Currently four factions exist in EoS. Each contributing its own flavor and ideas into a unique whole that, ideally, will eventually be balanced both against itself and against the default era. There are plans to expand the era, especially if more people show enough interest (and willingness to work!) to create their own factions. The only real requirments are that a faction be both able to fit seemlessly and uniquly into the existing framework, and that the faction maintainer remain active after incorperation.

The current factions with their accompannying threads are as follows.

The Eventide - Using the magic of light and darkness against their foes. These humans care little for members of other races, instead only wanting a place to allow their once-great empire to be reborn.

The Triththians - Long diverged from their defensive kin, these "Hill Dwarves" have used advances in technology to build deadly siege engines capable of destroying nearly any fortification.

The Eltireans - Technologically advanced and spiritually enlightened. The Eltireans would have lived for ages in their hidden cities in the sky had fate not forced them to flee their homes from a host of dragons.

The Free Saurians - Decades ago the saurians broke free from the iron grip of thier dragonkin overseers. Killing many of the great bests who's magic and might had held them at bay. Now, a new creature has appeared at the edges of the great swamp of Sraal-vex, and the Saurians will not allow history to repeat itself.

The current list of people working on this project are as follows.

Jamini - Maintainer. Author of Eventide. Artist for eventide and some misic.
Lizard - Author of Free Saurians.
AI - Author of Triththians.
Elrias - Author of Eltireans.
Jormungandr - Some art for Free Saurians.

If you wish to help us on this project. Please send myself a PM. Artists are welcome to work on whatever faction they want (the Trithtians and Eltireans are in dire need of sprites. The Eventide need some work and animations.)
Last edited by AI on December 29th, 2008, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some fixes, jami is inactive.
~Jami
TheWesnothian

Re: The Era of Strife

Post by TheWesnothian »

If ever you are going to put orcs in it, i got an idea, the barbarians. I stop my Company Era.
Valenwood

Post by Valenwood »

TheWesnothian wrote:If ever you are going to put orcs in it, i got an idea, the barbarians. I stop my Company Era.
Weren't "your" barbarians just Default units put in a new Faction? In fact, wasn't that the case for your entire era?

And to Jami and others, good work :) Glad to finally see this Era having a thread and all, hehe. I'll keep playesting it, as I have been earlier.
TheWesnothian

Post by TheWesnothian »

Valenwood wrote:
TheWesnothian wrote:If ever you are going to put orcs in it, i got an idea, the barbarians. I stop my Company Era.
Weren't "your" barbarians just Default units put in a new Faction? In fact, wasn't that the case for your entire era?
Yes. I don't now how to make a unit artwork.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

When I get the Free Goblins finished, would there be a place for them in this era?

Thanks.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

In which world is the Era of strife placed? Is it on the Wesnoth continent/on an island somewhere in the World of Wesnoth or is it in it's own Universe? I'm interested in this because I'm thinking* about a Campaign for the Free Saurians which explain their origin.

* thinking means: if I have Time over I may do it.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The idea so far is that it's set on the great continent, but a good ways off from wesnoth. (probably south/east/se)
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

AI wrote:The idea so far is that it's set on the great continent, but a good ways off from wesnoth. (probably south/east/se)
Oh well, never mind then. The Free Goblins are set in Wesnoth (parallel in timeline to HttT).
TheWesnothian

Post by TheWesnothian »

I'm making a new factions with self-made units, i'm not done yet. Its the woods orcs.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Version 0.16 is now on the campaign server. (if you want to, you can also check it out from sourceforge)

Changes:
-Increase Shieldman price to 20
-New sprites for Triththa (Armorer, Charger and Linebreaker)
-bugfixes, lots of them

Mostly a maintenance release, but I think most would prefer their game not choking on units that could not be found.
Jami

Post by Jami »

Gotta tank AI for keeping on this while I finished up with finals. Now that i'm back and ready to work a bit we'll be stepping up things with EoS (Plus I finally figured out SVN... )

Right now we are working on basic balance between the original four factions and looking forward to intergrating some new factions into the mix. Although I'm somewhat reluctent to reveal any details about the people we're talking with, needless to say we will probably be looking very favorably on requests from lawful factions.

Untill next time.

~Jami
~Jami
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Jami, I sent you a PM eons ago requesting that the Minotaurs be assimilated into EoS... However you have not replied, I would like to know your decision...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I've tagged v0.17 yesterday, unfortunately the forum was down at the time, so I couldn't post.
As the add-on server is still down, I haven't been able to upload it yet, so currently there are only 2 ways to get it.

1. Export it from the SVN repository on sourceforge:

Code: Select all

rm -r ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Era_of_Strife
svn export http://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wesnoth-umc-dev/tags/1.4/Era_of_Strife/0.17 ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/Era_of_Strife
2. Get the tarball from 2shared:
http://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge. ... vision=485
Extract it into your userdata/data/campaigns

Changelog:
v0.17
Multiple balance passes to saurian faction.
Many name changes to saurian faction
Fixed Desperado attack order
Added Heals +4 to entire herbalist line.
Shield bash of shieldman line changed from 6/8/10-2 to 14/20/26-1 defend-only slow
Fix resistances for two units of Triththa, also fixing an OOS issue.

I repeat: v0.17 is NOT yet on the campaign server.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Okay, since we lost the last 2 months of posts in the server crash, here's a quick update (unfortunately I didn't save my long post about the history of everything, though I still have the image)

Latest version is 0.18.2, full changelog can be found here, but here are the most important changes:
-Added 'power' (Great Strife) and 'rpg' (Strife RPG) eras
-Added minotaur faction
-Added "versioned era" system like EE has. (and EoM attempts to have, but broken)
-Triththa's smith line rebalanced
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I'm going to reconstruct my big history post here, hopefully on of my machines (which crashed, but I'll get to tomorrow) will still hold it in cache...

Image is scaled down because the forum does not seem to auto-scale images anymore (that was probably (re)added in the last two months). Full size available here. (warning: HUGEBIG format)
Attachments
strife-geography-pre-small.png
strife-geography-pre-small.png (731.2 KiB) Viewed 24733 times