Elf Portrait art thread: Archer by Ranger M

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

also, mouth and eyes make it looks demonically evil, but a lot could be fixed if more time on details
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

finally to GIMP

needs criticism now!
Attachments
druid1.png
druid1.png (17.05 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
Last edited by Thrawn on February 3rd, 2006, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? She looked like she had more clothes in the uncolored version.

I'd like it if she had at least a shirt on. having a long sleeved shirt that reveals her belly button would be OK.

If you're worried about her sex appeal... just remember that a partially clothed woman can look better than a nude one... ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

yeah, she did seem to have a 'bra' on in the pic (although a bit of cloth wrapped around would be a better description).

and the dress is too light. Make it a darker shade.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

turin wrote: I'd like it if she had at least a shirt on. having a long sleeved shirt that reveals her belly button would be OK.
a shost sleeved shirt--long would clash with magic
If you're worried about her sex appeal... just remember that a partially clothed woman can look better than a nude one... ;)
not worried about that--remember, She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, :)

I know--just for concept--it will be darker

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think a long-sleeved shirt would look better, since she has that green thing on her hand. It looks like the cuff of a shirt, which it could be, if you gave her a longsleeved shirt. IMHO, if you give her a short-sleeved one, it will look... odd. But, you're call.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

redid her--she has a top on.
@Turin--theat ...odd green thing is supposed to be magic with swirls down arm.

Also, elv captain sketch, and orc (though not really an elf
Attachments
try2
try2
elf.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
orc.jpg
orc.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
Last edited by Thrawn on February 6th, 2006, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The right arms of both of the images look messed up. The orc's twists in an impossible way, while the elf's looks too long. Also, I think you're going in the wrong direction with the extreme anime style... I'm not a huge fan of anime.
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

turin wrote:Also, I think you're going in the wrong direction with the extreme anime style... I'm not a huge fan of anime.
IMO, what I have isn't extreme anime, and I agree that going that way is bad. I don't have large eyes, pointy chin, supernaturally long bodies/chibi bodies (unless you count the arm, which is wrong). I see no other way of doing the hair, and I'm trying to make pants not the anime baggy style.

And the orc I tried to make like others in game. Besides the arm, are there other problems?

TO ALL: any tips on how to draw less anime would help (even though I like some animes, and draw well that way)

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The most anime-ish parts are the faces of the two elves (although the Druid is better, and I don't have a big problem with it), the grin of the orc, and the really baggy pants of the fighter.
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

about your elv druid...

I thiink there is a problem with the shoulder muscle....

it's too big, only boys have shoulders that big, and it's too high. if you look, the shoulder bone actually starts on the arm, (lower than the shoulder) and goes down the arm. the largest part of it is on the first third down the arm, and certainly not on the top of the shoulder.

the shoulder muscle only look that big if you raise your arm higher than your shoulder
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
JW

Post by JW »

Boucman: I think that effect is from the slight drapage of her hair over her shoulder. Take a closer look. I wouldn't have even looked at it had you not mentioned it.

Thrawn: I think you're doing a great job. The druid I still wish had thinner legs, :P the orc I think is great other than his right arm issue, and the other elf is what I think needs the most work. His pants are unnaturally large for someone wearing some type of armor. I would change him somewhat, but I like the other two the way they are (with that slight mod on the orc).

-edit:

at a second glance, the orcs legs look a bit peculiar as his stance is a little unnatural for what I imagine an orc to be doing normally. I think he should look more grounded and centered. He also looks way too happy with that huge ass grin. :P
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Boucman wrote:about your elv druid...

I thiink there is a problem with the shoulder muscle....

it's too big, only boys have shoulders that big, and it's too high. if you look, the shoulder bone actually starts on the arm, (lower than the shoulder) and goes down the arm. the largest part of it is on the first third down the arm, and certainly not on the top of the shoulder.

the shoulder muscle only look that big if you raise your arm higher than your shoulder
I agree.

I also think that giving her a long-sleeved shirt would fix this problem. ;)
The World of Orbivm
Industriebrot

Post by Industriebrot »

Oh, my god!
She is holding an octopus!
Der Stein hat keine Hoffnung, etwas anderes zu sein als Stein. Aber durch Zusammenwirken fügt sich einer zum anderen und wird zum Tempel.
[ ] Goethe
[ ] Shakespeare
[ ] Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Am I the only one who immediately knew what she was holding when I saw it? :?