The "How to play..." Series

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

The "How to play..." Series

Post by JW »

MODERATOR EDIT: This guide is now somewhat outdated, as several versions have come and gone. Many of the units (saurians, footpads, dark adepts, others) have had relatively major changes since this guide was written. There is still much value for new players reading this guide, but if something doesn't make sense, or seems "odd", it might mean that it is now outdated. Just FYI!

How to play...

This is a series that hopes to teach players how to play with and against every faction. Link to the appropriate "How to play..." thread according to what faction you are playing (or want to study) and you'll find general strategies for that faction as well as specific unit-by-unit strategies on how to play against each of the 6 Default factions (including "mirror" matches).
All strategies are given with the assumption of a 1v1 game on a balanced map, with the settings being 100 gold, 70% xp, 2gpv, and fog on. Another assumption is that the game is being played on the latest version of Wesnoth ( currently 1.2.5 for the stable branch and 1.3.4 for the development branch ). The tactics will be similar under many different settings, but if the your version is different the tactics may be drastically different, so keep that in mind.

Individual threads for each faction and factional matchups:
How to play Knalgans - Knalgan guide
How to play Northerners
How to play Undead
How to play Drakes
How to play Rebels
How to play Loyalists

Invidivual threads for add-on eras:
How to play Era of Myths

General elements of the game strategy(not done yet):
Economy
About luck and risk management
Recruitment patterns
Unit synergy
XP saving and leveling decisions
Proper use of abilities and weapon specials
Special advices regarding team games
MP netiquette

Individual guides on each of the default MP maps(not done yet)

This guide is dedicated mostly for beginner to intermediate players.
If you have any comments or suggestions make them in the appropriate faction thread, or put them here. This is currently a work in progress, so some of the pages and matchups aren't written out yet, but will come with time. I appreciate your patience.
Last edited by Iris on October 21st, 2013, 1:05 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Retiring obsolete sticky.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

This project has my endorsement. :wink:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

It could go on the Wiki...
JW

Post by JW »

Zhukov wrote:It could go on the Wiki...
It can do both! :)

A simple copy-and-paste job with a few fixes for formatting language shouldn't be too hard once it's all done. Good idea!
toms

Post by toms »

Why not just creating an index on the wiki, with links to the forum threads? :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Wiki is cleaner. It isn't riddled with 'noise' posts.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Got to agree here, the wiki also allows for easy editing when a change to to the unit stats occurs (when the forum posts would be unlikely to get updated) and it can be organised better.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

wiki
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Zhukov wrote:...'noise' posts.
kshinji wrote: wiki
:roll:
hey.
JW

Post by JW »

Okay, this will end up on the wiki eventually, so there's no need to keep pointing out how it should go on the wiki, and there is never a need to point out "noise" posts with more "noise" posts.

If you guys have any new questions/comments/cncerns/criticisms/critiques, go ahead and relay them.
appleide

Post by appleide »

JW wrote:and there is never a need to point out "noise" posts with more "noise" posts.
:lol:
If you guys have any new questions/comments/cncerns/criticisms/critiques, go ahead and relay them.
Poachers only do 3-4 to HI at night. People on server says "Thunderers are much better" than Poachers at taking out HI.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 »

Hmm...perhaps all the AI developers could use the hints JW supplies here in their AIs?
JW

Post by JW »

I've done a makeshift job of creating a wiki page. I've set up the main page to include links to the forum threads for now, and when I finish the individual threads I'll transfer them up to the wiki too.

Here's the main Wesnoth Play page: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Play

The "How to play" page: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/How_to_play...

And the Knalgan page (which I need to edit but am not going to do now): http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/How_to_play_Knalgans
Disto

Post by Disto »

jonathantan86 wrote:Hmm...perhaps all the AI developers could use the hints JW supplies here in their AIs?
AI developers?
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Big Bird

Post by Big Bird »

hey, are you working on a loyalist one yet cause that is the one i really want! please do that one as soon as you can so i can learn some tips on how to use them to their full potential