Please don't use swear words in game text

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Re: Please don't use swear words in game text

Post by turin »

How do I feel about tree-shagger? I would rather see tree-f***er. That at least would feel authentic. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

IMO it's clear that 'tree shagger' sounds silly. I think most people defending it are doing so simply because they want to make some kind of point.

Turin: when you have a chance could you please choose a more appropriate insult for the orcs to use and replace it?

Thanks!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

There is nothing I or anyone else can add to the centuries old arguments over profanity.

However, simply because one can do something does not mean that he has too. what does it cost to bend a little.

Showing concern for the thoughts of others does not take as much effort as arguing your right to trample on their feelings or sensibilities.
Me1234

Post by Me1234 »

i tend to learn toward tree-hugger because most people dont know what shagger, means. but then again, what you dont know cant hurt you.
Confucious say "If you stand on toilet, you high on pot."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Incidentally, an insult from (I think) the Redwall series related to vegetarianism was "leaf-eater". Dunno if we actually want to use that (are our elves even vegetarians? I don't think they are - they use leather armor, after all), but it's definitely better than just saying "vegetarian" outright. That would just sound too... modern. ;)

Hm... "and their leaf-loving allies", rather than "and their tree-shagging allies", how about? I'm not sure if I like that one or not. :hmm:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

turin - yes, that would be a definite improvement. I fully support that change.
Sapient wrote:daisy-armed tree boys?
wood wimps?
but, nobody liked my suggestions? :cry:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Wimp is very modern AFAIK, i'm not a fan of that one. The other one's good, though. Overll, i think it would be good to have as wide a selection of insults for each opponent race as possible, as well as some general ones for all three - it would feel more natural to me for the same insult not to be used over and over again.

A lot of this is really down to personal taste, though - on that score, it's probably the campaign maintainer's choice.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

If you're going to add insults, make it actually insulting. Something that doesn't sound as though an elementary student made it up. (Wimps?) I feel orcs would beat any of their number that said something as pathetic as 'tree-shagger'.
  • Wretch(ed)
    Weakling
    Snake
    Dog
    Cur
    Worm
    Pale
    Devil
    Ghost
    Coward(ly)
    White
    Maggot
    Trash
    Filth
    Insolent
    Swine
    Fool
    Miserable
    Lying
    Sniveling
    etc.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

How about "leaf-maggots" as a derogatory term for elves?
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

CarpeGuitarrem wrote:How about "leaf-maggots" as a derogatory term for elves?
Personally I like that, a lot. I think that 'maggot' sounds extremely and obviously insulting.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
tsr

Post by tsr »

a bit offT (sry about that OP, mods and readers):

Many good points about exposing children to cursing have been made, many bad too. I just want to add the knowledge that it is fairly easy to create translations for special cases: en_US_safe, etc

So that the people who are okey with their children killing other creatures as long as the story is told using 'nice' language can enjouy the full power of BfW.

a bit onT: I think the insults and 'scare'-language over all in wesnoth is pretty weak, but I'm not really in a position to complain, since I'm neither a english speaker or very good writer. (do you remember the threads about wolf-feeding orcs some weeks ago?)

/tsr
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

It always amaze me that people in this forum can go to great length to argue senseless things.

For me, and probably most other people in this world, a occasional soft-swear isn't much of a big deal, it is usually ignored or adds to its use in the sentence or setting. There is a few swears in the songs that i listen to, and i have no problem enjoying it, in fact if those words weren't in there it would probably take a bit of flavor out of the tunes.

Tree-shagger is something that you never hear in your life, not in the modern parts of the english world, its not offensive or provocative like f***, if someone said this straight to your face, you would be confused to as what they're saying. Besides, this is in a game, its fictional and in the fictional world something can say lots of swear at me and i would not be provoked by them at all.

And hey, don't get me wrong, but i just don't think that people are that sensitive, people start to swear as young as 12 or 13 years old, my classmates swear all the time and even the teacher says "[censored]" and "bullcrap". There are two important factors that will not affect children while playing wesnoth and encountering words like this, one being most young hip kids don't play wesnoth, and before people in here say that they're 13 or 14 years old, i need to state that you're probably considered uncool or a nerd and does not represent the majority of kids in your age group. Secondly as i've stated above, words like shagger are not considered swear. As for adults, you're mature enough to not whine about this. Are you not?

If you really like to contest this, get your facts right and know that if you find this offensive others may not, try convince the majority of people here, because in this world, democracy rules, even if there are a few exceptions.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

cool evil wrote:Tree-shagger is something that you never hear in your life, not in the modern parts of the english world, its not offensive or provocative like f***, if someone said this straight to your face, you would be confused to as what they're saying. Besides, this is in a game, its fictional and in the fictional world something can say lots of swear at me and i would not be provoked by them at all.
That's really not the point at all. The main complaint with "tree-shagger" is that it sounds stupid.

But, if you insist:
cool evil wrote:And hey, don't get me wrong, but i just don't think that people are that sensitive, people start to swear as young as 12 or 13 years old, my classmates swear all the time and even the teacher says "s***" and "bullcrap".
Does that mean we should have graphic sex scenes in Wesnoth, since the game is supposed to approximate a PG-13 rating, and people over 13 most likely know what sex is like and have probably done it themselves? By your logic, I think it does...
cool evil wrote:There are two important factors that will not affect children while playing wesnoth and encountering words like this, one being most young hip kids don't play wesnoth, and before people in here say that they're 13 or 14 years old, i need to state that you're probably considered uncool or a nerd and does not represent the majority of kids in your age group.
The majority of any given age group doesn't play Wesnoth. Does that mean we shouldn't care about anything content-wise, since the majority of people won't be offended by anything we put in? Again, your logic seems to imply so...
cool evil wrote:Um... Secondly as i've stated above, words like shagger are not considered swear.
As people have repeatedly said, yes, it is. It's a euphemism for a much more vulgar term, but it is considered a vulgarity. Every dictionary I've checked has said this.
cool evil wrote:As for adults, you're mature enough to not whine about this. Are you not?
I like how your basic argument against people arguing about it is calling them whiners. Very mature.
cool evil wrote:If you really like to contest this, get your facts right and know that if you find this offensive others may not, try convince the majority of people here, because in this world, democracy rules, even if there are a few exceptions.
As you should know by now, Wesnoth development is not run by democracy. :roll:
The World of Orbivm
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

Tree humper cames to my mind..

oh well, that worsts :p

That's really not the point at all. The main complaint with "tree-shagger" is that it sounds stupid.
Thats not what I have read, it does sounds stupid, yes.Then.. why is everyone arguing to get the most softcore insult?
Does that mean we should have graphic sex scenes in Wesnoth, since the game is supposed to approximate a PG-13 rating, and people over 13 most likely know what sex is like and have probably done it themselves? By your logic, I think it does...
Thats stupid, at the point that it is pure nonsense, 6 years old kid already says [censored], and mothercensored to people. Even if they don't know what it means, and they will keep doing it until the end of their life, sex is extremely out of context, extremely forced.

The majority of any given age group doesn't play Wesnoth. Does that mean we shouldn't care about anything content-wise, since the majority of people won't be offended by anything we put in? Again, your logic seems to imply so...
Yeah, I love when 8 years old kids play Call of duty 4 in their new ps3 while they curse and blame god (or anything else) for each kill they they, while their parents eat happily a sandwich without giving a [censored].

BTW! A GREAT IDEA! let remove undeads, their are just offensive, what if my little child starts worshipping SATAN! :lol2:

Also, all of we know that if a friend poisons you, you will get cured if you get home fast, fighting to death is safe...
Lets remove weapons.. Hippies also have the right to play the game, or i'm wrong?
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

It seems to me that you can have two options here.

1. Sneer at the other side, and make no progress at all.

2. Actually put thought into this, and help to develop something which could potentially be a unique addition to Wesnoth flavor, something which has already been supported by a developer, and make something actually happen.

Which one would you prefer?
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past