Campaign: Glory in Blood

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CarpeGuitarrem

Campaign: Glory in Blood

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Setting: Unsure, at the moment, but I'm gravitating towards the Northlands, in the First Dark Age. May change this after a more in-depth examination of everything.

Here's going to be hopefully my first actual campaign, which I'll be working on in a few weeks, I think. The storyline will revolve around an orc warrior named Drukk. His orc-clan was overwhelmed by another orc-clan, and he was taken prisoner, and forced into slavery for a new form of entertainment: the Deathpit. Think Gladiator: Wesnoth. You get to take control of Drukk for his first Deathpit fight, and then he goes through a couple more fights. You discover that he's not really a nice character at all, but is rather ruthless, cold-blooded, and a born killer.

And then comes one day, when some Undead (I'm thinking like the zombies aka Walking Corpses) who were captured by this orc-clan, and imprisoned for slaughter in a Deathpit fight, manage to break out with the help of a Dark Adept, and Drukk has to try and stop them. After success, Drukk is just tossed back as a slave, and is furious. He decides that he's going to murder the guys in charge of the Deathpit. Unfortunately, they get wind of this, and before he can execute his plan, he's forced into an impossible battle. He has to face, more or less, a veritable army of enemies, progressively tougher, with no assistance from fellow warriors. As he is on the brink of death, someone steps in and saves him.

He ends up being made a guard for a prominent orc, and he ends up getting in contact with an elf-slave in the orc's house. Unlike what he would expect, she doesn't cringe from his sight, see him as a loathsome monster. Through her, he begins to change, personally, to become less of a cold-hearted creature.

And from there...I'm not sure. I could see him going off on a quest, then. Possibly becoming a chieftain of sorts.

A few interesting things about this setup that I like...first off, the idea of doing gladiator fights. An early one or two could pit four single-unit factions against each other, so that it's like an RPG, almost. Later ones could allow you to add in smaller armies. And then the guard scenario could put you in command of the household guard, you have to fight off bandits or undead or something. I also think it'll be interesting, working the character of Drukk into things, how he's a stereotypical bad orc that kinda turns good. Who knows, he could even end up allying with humans or something.

Any thoughts?
Valentine

Post by Valentine »

I'm thinking of doing a Dark Age campaign too, due to lack of.

I think the Deathpit fights would get old real quick, if you use the same map.

And the whole Woman changing a Man thing is a little clique, but if you want to go that way..
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

There wouldn't be very many Deathpit fights...I would have to work at spicing it up, it's true. I was thinking like doing something like what they did in the Coliseum, flooding it for sea battles, and pitting your guy against mermen.

And I think you mean cliché, not clique, but you have a point. But I really can't see it working out any other way.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think it's amusing that people can always imagine Human/Dwarf/Orc men falling for Elvish women, but never Elvish men falling for women of other species... :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Oh, I never said he fell for her. I never pictured it to be anything romantic. I know, it could've been taken that way. No, it's more like...a counseling sort of role. A mentor.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Ok, a quick heads-up, I'm going to be starting work on this campaign soon, see how much I can get done over winter break. I've also got some interesting ideas involving recruitable units in the Deathpit...some things that'll make it a bit unpredictable...
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
JW

Post by JW »

All I know is that the title alone will get you plenty of downloads.

Nice pick. :wink:
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Why thank you. I like coming up with dramatic and catchy titles...and blood is definitely an attention-getter. :D

catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

It's a good start for a story, but there needs to be more to it, with a more definite story and ending planned.

The orc hero starts to change, but there needs to be more of a purpose. What does the change accomplish? What does he become as a result and how does it shape the world around him?

This is what, ultimately, the campaign should be about.

EDIT: Also, the relationship should focus on his friendship with the elf as someone strange different from him, rather than as a female. The will reduce the cliche and help make it more original.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

I do have some things fleshed out that I won't be putting here on the board. As it is, this is highly open-ended, but it won't be that open-ended and unresolved. I'll leave that to be found out in the campaign. And yes, that definitely won't focus on the fact that she's female. Essentially, because she's female, she'll be able to take on a different role than if she was male, because of archetypes. I'll definitely hype up the fact that she's an elf.

There will definitely be a character change...*chuckle* a very big one. It should be interesting.

Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

When can I download this?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You can't, yet.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Blueblaze wrote:When can I download this?
It's still in "development", it doesn't have any scenarios yet, because I really just don't have enough time, at the moment, to build the campaign. I'm having to learn how to make scenarios from scratch, same with spriting and mapbuilding. So it's taking a bit.

If anyone wants to help out, I know I had someone offer a while back, although I haven't heard from them in a while. PM me if you have experience with spriting/map-making/WML/scenario building, and you want to help, and I'll PM you the storyline.

Yeah, I also need people who have a lot of experience with balancing campaigns.

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Campaign: Glory in Blood

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I've still got all my Frankenpack files, so I can slap together placeholder graphics if you find yourself struggling with graphics.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
CarpeGuitarrem

Re: Campaign: Glory in Blood

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:I've still got all my Frankenpack files, so I can slap together placeholder graphics if you find yourself struggling with graphics.
That would definitely help. If you're willing to contribute placeholder graphics, I need graphics for Drukk, for a female elvish shaman-type character, and for a few different orcish and dwarven gladiators. So yeah, any of that you could help with, it would be cool.