Huge MP map.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Starglider

Huge MP map.

Post by Starglider »

Hi everyone, first post...

After making a few small maps to get the hang of the editor, I've been working on a mini-campaign that unfolds on one huge map. Essentially a group of drakes returns to the ruins of their old capital city, which was destroyed when they were cast out of the land many centuries ago. You get to retake your ancestor's fortress, form alliances with naga and saurians, retrieve legendary weapons, pick off the weaker opponents and finally fight a massive battle against an alliance of all the remaining non-reptilian races. Because honestly, who hasn't got feed up with all this hero stuff once in a while and just wanted to crush, conquer and burninate an entire continent for fun and profit? :)

The WML is nowhere near done (still learning it), but since there don't seem to be many really large (200 x 200) maps available I thought I'd make it available for anyone who wants to try a really long, huge multiplayer game. It should work ok with four to six players, the starting positions of players seven, eight and nine are seriously unbalanced so you'd need to play in teams to make it viable with that many players. Note that this map definitely has not been balanced for multiplayer play (yet), but the first six players should have roughly equivalent positions.

I've also made the teams from the single player version into an era, so that the correct forces can be assigned (to be appended to the end of multiplayer.cfg - player 1 should get the drakes, player 2 the humans and so on in the order shown on the menu).

Comments welcome.
Attachments
dconquest_mp.zip
Drake Glory map - multiplayer version.
(11.92 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
My dear sir, the word 'impossible' is not in my spellchecker.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Pretty amazing, nice work it looks good although sucha huge map is rather impractical for non-campaign play. It reall pleases my geographic eye. anyway I wish you luck single map campaigns have always been and idea which interested me.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Jkun

Post by Jkun »

Pretty cool lookin'. Too bad 99.9999% of the time I will honestly never, ever play a map that big. >;P

Hopefully the campaign rocks to make up for it!
Alks

Post by Alks »

But I love such maps. And I'm amazed.
toms

Post by toms »

This map rocks! :shock:

I think I download it. Even if I normally like small maps more.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

This looks like a cool map to play as a campaign, but in multiplayer vs AI. I could see myself saving and loading once every day, to extend the map for a whole week.
Sea Elf

Post by Sea Elf »

thats quite the amazing map! I dont think it would take any less than about a week to finish though nice screenshot too
I got lost in thought, it was unknown territory.

The Outcasts need your feedback

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9449
rwpikul

Post by rwpikul »

Ken Oh wrote:This looks like a cool map to play as a campaign, but in multiplayer vs AI. I could see myself saving and loading once every day, to extend the map for a whole week.
I've played a vs. AI game on a 200x200 map, expect it to take about 100 turns and to have a force of several hundred units for much of the game.

Huge map games are a totally different feel from the regular sized ones, I found I had to think of things in terms of battlefronts and you really have to think ahead for where to send your reenforcements.

Another thing to remember: When picking leaders, the only thing that matters is speed. If your leader is doing anything but recruiting or moving to a fortress closer to the front you have already lost.
--
Phoenix
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

:shock: This is the first map that has actually impressed me. :shock:
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

:shock: Oh. My. Holy. Cow. That is just...just...wow.

*bows*

Come hell or high water, I will definitely be downloading that campaign you speak of. The idea of an entire campaign taking place on a single map is great. It will probably need WML on a colossal scale, but the result could be amazing.

It's a real pity it's too big for multiplayer. You would need to put aside everything for a solid week just to finish a game. :)