The Battle for Wesnoth is an open source, turn-based strategy game with a high fantasy theme. It features both singleplayer and online/hotseat multiplayer combat.
Explore the world of Wesnoth and take part in its many adventures! Embark on a desperate quest to reclaim your rightful throne... Flee the Lich Lords to a new home across the sea... Delve into the darkest depths of the earth to craft a jewel of fire itself... Defend your kingdom against the ravaging hordes of a foul necromancer... Or lead a straggly band of survivors across the blazing sands to confront an unseen evil.
The choice is up to you...
- Units hand-animated in a vibrant pixel art style, with semi-realistic portraits used for dialog.
- 17 singleplayer campaigns and 55 multiplayer maps to choose from.
- Over 200 unit types in seven major factions, all with distinctive abilities, weapons and spells.
- Face off against other players over the Internet, or challenge your friends over a private/local network or hot-seat.
- Translated into over 30 different languages.
- Highly moddable engine combining WML and Lua scripting
- Tons of player-made content available from the official add-ons server: new campaigns, factions, and multiplayer maps with new and unique mechanics and artwork.
- Cross-platform compatible with Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, and GNU/Linux.
The stable version of Wesnoth is recommended for new and veteran players and content creators on all platforms, as it offers a well-supported and extensively-tested experience, with new releases delivering bug fixes and translation updates.
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 or later|
Apple macOS 10.8 or later
Ubuntu 16.04 or compatible
|Microsoft Windows 10|
Apple macOS 10.10 or later
Ubuntu 18.04 or compatible
|CPU||Dual-core 2.0 GHz or better||Dual-core 3.2 GHz or better|
|RAM||2 GB||4 GB|
|Disk||800 MB free||2 GB free|
|Graphics||800x600 or larger screen||1024x768 or larger screen|
|Input||Keyboard and mouse required|
With a vast community with tens of thousands of players and over 520,000 posts in our forums, help resources for new and experienced players alike abound.
Wesnoth is made possible by the efforts of players and enthusiasts from all over the world. Whether it be by creating new add-on content, contributing patches for core content and the game engine, or just testing the development version, you too can help shape the next version of Wesnoth!
If you would like to donate to the project, you can do so on Liberapay, or by purchasing the game on iOS. Wesnoth does rely on the work of dedicated volunteers, but no project can function completely cost-free. Revenue from the Apple App Store and from donations goes towards maintaining our servers, websites, and commissioning new art and music.