New spin on an old idea...

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
JW

New spin on an old idea...

Post by JW »

"Dark," "Unholy," "Blight," "Shadow," "Impure" magic.

I think there is a gameplay issue involved that needs to be resolved: water units and dwarves have resistancies to "Cold" magic - the substitute for an unholy type of attack. Does this make sense?

I say, as have several in the past, no.

I propose that the current Undead Cold attacks be made into another type, such as Blight, whatever the designers prefer, and that the resistancies of all units to this type of attack be made 0%. This would be easier than making a new resistancy type for all units and I'm guessing it would be easier to program the 0% resistancy into the actual attack itself rather than each unit.

If this doesn't make sense, please let me know why.
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

Undead shouldn't be vunerable to this type of attack, though.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
scott

Post by scott »

I think the idea is BWH, but others hold some philosophical impediments to it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Either BWH or FPI, depending on who you ask.

I say BWH.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

I wish it was that way.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Or we could take Holy in the sense of extraterrenal (maybe with an appropiate name change) and make their attacks Holy!(leaving the waterfolk with their Cold resistance).

I say this because when i once read a proposition for an "anti-holy" damage type, my best idea was that magic itself was the opposition of holy (one fueling unnatural effects like undeads, the latter trying to restablish the status), and that resistances could be worked with this in mind without adding new resistances.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

IMHO it's more KISS to have an additional damage type if that makes it more intuitively obvious who deals out which kind of damage, and who has various kinds of resistances.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: New spin on an old idea...

Post by Sapient »

JW wrote: water units and dwarves have resistancies to "Cold" magic - the substitute for an unholy type of attack. Does this make sense?
I think you meant to say, 'certain water units,' a.k.a. mermen. I've killed many nagas with dark adepts. You also bring up dwarves.

1) Mermen. Sure I don't mind if merman get unholy resistance (by grace of their cold resistance statistic). It's a fictional race, so why not? To counter-balance, though, I'd like to see them get lightning weakness (through fire weakness statistic). Fair enough? See the poll I started in multiplayer development for more on that topic.

2. Dwarves. From what I know about dwarves from D&D, they get +2 saves versus spells. So I don't think we're really making a greivious error by allowing them some unholy resistance. My preference, though, would be to strip dwarves of their "snowy" status, and give that to Orcs instead. As a bonus, orcs would be less susceptible to unholy, which makes more sense to me. After all, dwarves already have a favored terrain type (mountains and hills). Why not give snow to Orcs?

Just my two gold pieces...
JW

Post by JW »

I like your second point more than the first. The reason being I saw Scott say Mermen were losing some Cold resistance. Northerners are strong enough as is, and I don't think they have a natural affinity towards snow - even if they've been forced to claim Northern lands through lack of being able to conquer more habitable terrain.