Retire Command

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Red

Retire Command

Post by Red »

one thing i noticed was sometimes units just arent up to the tasks of fighting the enemy units.. maybe you miss clicked or Simply was new to the Unit.. well the Retirement command would allow you to Sell back the unit for a % of money which allows you to retain something to rebuild your tactics. this happen to me once where i had units that would just get killed off and waste my money so basically it turned into a butcher fest

Sorry for yet again another R command.. it think its becoming a Fetish but it seemed to fit perfectly atleast in my opinion
scott

Post by scott »

The short answer is that the lack of this feature is intentional. It's not necessarily a bad idea, but after thinking about it I think they decided to make you live with the consequences of your recruiting decisions.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
squasher

Post by squasher »

I like the idea in a (slightly) modified version:
one can recruit or recall units and retire them to your recall list when you don't need them anymore. This will not give money back, but it helps your upkeep
phpBB error: signature not found
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Like "Garrison" unit?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

I'd be even harder on the user: it would be "Dismiss Unit", and then that unit is gone, with all the gold that he has cost up to this point, and is also not on the recall list. I.e. you can send a unit away permanently, but not call the charging horseman back off the field for another day.

But maybe I'm just mean.
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

But he remain avaiable for the next scenario, isn't he ?
Otherwise, just let he be killed by some enemy.

This command may be named "fly the battlefield" and the unit may lose some experience.
Disto

Post by Disto »

lwa wrote:But he remain avaiable for the next scenario, isn't he ?

This command may be named "fly the battlefield" and the unit may lose some experience.
Don't you mean flee the battle, i personally feel, if he is out of range of any enemy units he may be garrisoned to the recall list, and should cost however much the % of the damage is of their overall cost.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Uppi

Post by Uppi »

If this was implemented, I'd always dismiss my 1 HP unit, that would be killed anyway, thus negating the XP for it and frustrating the enemy.

Although sometimes units really would become useless and are just costing upkeep. A solution might be that the units could only retire (flee) if they reach the edge of the map.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Disto wrote:
lwa wrote:But he remain avaiable for the next scenario, isn't he ?

Don't you mean flee the battle, i personally feel, if he is out of range of any enemy units he may be garrisoned to the recall list, and should cost however much the % of the damage is of their overall cost.
This is my awnser to this question.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

"Although sometimes units really would become useless and are just costing upkeep. A solution might be that the units could only retire (flee) if they reach the edge of the map."

Lets put aside the "1hp units fleeing from combat scene".

I sometimes get units in scenarios that I dont want to handle because they
basically suck. Some level 1 horsemen come to my mind here, i much prefer elves ;)

Would be cool if that unit could just be scrapped/removed from combat.
gryphonlord

Post by gryphonlord »

Just send units you're not using to get villages, or around enemy lines as a distraction. That has worked well with me, and those level one horsemen that don't seem any good are perfect for the job.
Pers

Post by Pers »

squasher wrote:I like the idea in a (slightly) modified version:
one can recruit or recall units and retire them to your recall list when you don't need them anymore. This will not give money back, but it helps your upkeep
Being able to retire units to the recall list is definitely not a good idea.
You can send your experienced troops to dangerous missions,
retire them just before they are about to be slaughtered and then recruit
them again in the same game with full hit points.
ChowGuy

Post by ChowGuy »

Being able to retire units to the recall list is definitely not a good idea.
them again in the same game with full hit points.[/quote]
I agree that the idea of dismissing completely a unit just to save upkeep, much less getting gold back, somewhat goes against the logistics of the game which is as much about managing limited resources as anything else. However retiring a unit to the recall list might be practical if

A) the unit being retired had to first return to a keep, and
B) there was an actual cost involved based on the unit's current damage rather then a percentage return.
and perhaps,
C) the unit could not, in fact, be recalled for the current scenario or at a minimum not within a set number of turns.

This would be more like evacuating a unit to the rear for long term medical treatment then retirement, and I would envision it being used only for valuable units, not worthless ones.
squasher

Post by squasher »

Pers wrote:Being able to retire units to the recall list is definitely not a good idea.
them again in the same game with full hit points.
fix: only units with full hp can be retired to recall list
ChowGuy wrote:I agree that the idea of dismissing completely a unit just to save upkeep, much less getting gold back, somewhat goes against the logistics of the game which is as much about managing limited resources as anything else.
maybe retiring a unit to the recall list would cost 10 gold or so? Then you have to choice between giving the enemy some XP or spending some gold

It wont be a problem if a unit was recalled, retired and recalled again. that is pretty much gold inefficient (2x 20 gold + a possible 10 gold)
phpBB error: signature not found
ChowGuy

Post by ChowGuy »

maybe retiring a unit to the recall list would cost 10 gold or so? Then you have to choice between giving the enemy some XP or spending some gold

It wont be a problem if a unit was recalled, retired and recalled again. that is pretty much gold inefficient (2x 20 gold + a possible 10 gold)
I had in mind something more like 1g per level, per 10hp damage or fraction thereof, which is in effect the same amount it would cost to leave that unit sitting on a village until it was fully healed.

I considered a fixed cost, which is certainly more KISS, but that still means you could, for example "retire" a badly injured L3 down 60HP and effectively "buy" immediate full healing for only 2g more then the upkeep cost of the time it would take them to heal. At that rate, even with a 10g fixed overhead it could well be worth it to gain the extra six days service time.

Even with a pro-rated cost though, you could still get that "immediate healing" feature for 20g, which I'm not sure is right. That's why it might be good to add a "one-turn per 10HP on the disabled list" as well, but that would probably require enough code changes in how the recall list is maintained, not to mention descriptor variables to keep track of availability times, that it would be well beyond KISS.

Non-recallability within the same scenario would be easier to implement, but make the option mainly of interest in campaigns, since it would amount to dismissal in single scenarios. Then again, any discussion of "recall list" is pretty meaningless outside campaigns, so....