New Campaign: Mage Republic

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What should I do with the campaign?

It is great already!
8%
Just fix the errors
17%
Write more missions!
50%
Abondon it or get someone to help me.
8%
It is very bad. Delete it!
17%

Total votes: 12

ILikeProgramming

New Campaign: Mage Republic

Post by ILikeProgramming »

How do I post campaigns on the Wesnoth campaign server.(I am currently in the proccess of making a campaign and will probably want post a version sometime soon.)
Last edited by ILikeProgramming on September 10th, 2005, 3:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
scott

Post by scott »

1. http://wesnoth.slack.it/?BuildingCampaigns and related pages might be of interest

- do you know how to access the campaign server to download campaigns?
- do you know what a .pbl file is?
- the website answers those questions

2. When:
- a properly formed campaign exists in your user data directory
AND
- a valid PBL file also exists in the same directory
THEN
- a new option appears in the campaign server download screen: 'publish campaign: campaignname'
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ILikeProgramming

Thanks
ILikeProgramming

Basic plot for my campaign(I may change this):
A group of mages from the Far Island(yes, this campaign does not take place in Wesnoth) are attacked the undead. They are forced to leave their island and return only when they become stronger. On their journeys they meat humans, elves, dwarves, orks and more undead.

I'm done with 5 scenarios and want someone to debug them (I'm not that good at playing Wesnoth)
ryn

Post by ryn »

willing and ready to debug. Send me a PM.
2B |! 2B = 3F
ILikeProgramming

Version Posted

I posted the undebugged version on the campaign server anyway, so more people could play it. Please send me suggestions or errors in the campaign.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I got through the first scenario. I got an error message then, that the map wasn't found. Check to make sure the map name is what it should be.

As for the first scenario...its playable, but it needs work. Or do you want to work on making it technically workable before moving on to balancing?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
ILikeProgramming

On my version, there's no error message. I'm trying to republish and then download it.
ILikeProgramming

I reuploaded it and then tested the campaign. It should work.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Why do you need 2 copies of the map image in png, couldn't you use .JPG it's much smaller and the game can still use it.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
ILikeProgramming

I fixed the repeat of map.png and posted a new version.
scott

Post by scott »

You should probably reassign your rank. The 5 official campaigns should appear first on the list. Also, please delete your backup files and thumbs.db files.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ILikeProgramming

Ok, no extra files :lol:

By the way, can you get past the first mission now?
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

ILikeProgramming wrote:Ok, no extra files :lol:

By the way, can you get past the first mission now?
I played through the whole campaign in BfW 0.9 on MacOS 10.3.7 on normal:

The first scenario you have definitely to much gold (500) and even worse, if you don't recruit anything and run for the ship, you get there before a single enemy is able to reach you. This means you start the second scenario with 700 gold! The map has to be throughly redesigned. Maybe you have to capture a determinate village which holds access to the bay where the ship is kept (the only natural port of the island). Make sure the enemy reaches the village before you...

In the second scenario the lich's keep should be on the near end of the castle otherwise you just can run for the central keep recruiting all mages on 50-60% defense terrain giving the undead no chance what so ever. I killed the lich before turn 10. The lich keeps recruiting in the hexes nearest to his keep. Otherwise take out the central keep and bring in a open stretch of land allowing the undead to get near your castle. The idea of a small player castle could just work fine on this map: you are intended to hold of the enemy not to sweep him away.

3 scenario: place the lich farther off the players castle; being rather resistant to magic I killed the lich with just my silvermage on the second turn...

4 scenario: functions, but would be more interesting with some terrain variety to take advantage or disadvantage of: some wood/hills before the first enemy, a river with a couple of bridges and/or an advanced stretch of land as an obstacle between the first and second enemy...

Then one more advice: work a bit more on the story line, otherwise all scenarios with "Kill all enemy leaders" objectives start to get a bit ripetitive.

I hope you got the message as it was intended:
constructive criticism ;)
Keep it up
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Glowing Fish wrote:I got through the first scenario. I got an error message then, that the map wasn't found. Check to make sure the map name is what it should be.

As for the first scenario...its playable, but it needs work. Or do you want to work on making it technically workable before moving on to balancing?
Same here, redownloaded the map now

there are some bugs in Wasteland.cfg btw