Bug in the pathfinding

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Bug in the pathfinding

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I was just innocently playing Blackwater Port when I was accosted by a rather insignificant-seeming bug. Moving Haldiel to 19,26 works fine, but 19,27 does not.

Attached are a screenshot of the problem, and a savefile.
Attachments
Blackwater_Port_Turn_3-Pathfinding_Bug.zip
(7.82 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Bad_Pathfinding.jpg
Bad_Pathfinding.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Is this with 0.8.9 or 0.8.8? Sounds awfully similar to http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=d ... m_id=11196 which was fixed before 0.8.9 (and then made moot by redsun's new pathfinder code).
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

ott wrote:Is this with 0.8.9 or 0.8.8?
Whoops, totally forgot to mention it's 0.8.9.

Of course, it is possible to tell based on the map... :)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
silene

Post by silene »

I just like it when people submit reproducible savegame. Thanks a lot, I have fixed it.

For the records and those interested, an A* pathfinder is only guaranteed to find a good path when the distance function is an underestimation of the real travel time. Trying to outsmart the computer scientists that designed A* (by putting an 1.3 factor in the algorithm) is the fastest way to get a broken A* implementation. As EP savegame just shown us.