What is Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

I mostly think of Wesnoth as a

Turn Based Strategy
94%
Role Playing Game
6%

Total votes: 125

Glowing Fish

What is Wesnoth?

Post by Glowing Fish »

Its an oversimplification, but I think of Wesnoth as a :
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, since it IS a TBS, i think of it as a TBS. Also, my conception of a RPG is like what I did (tried to do?) with Captured, which is NOT typical of Wesnoth.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

I agree, it is a turn based strategy game, albeit with some elements reminiscent of an RPG.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

turin wrote:Well, since it IS a TBS, i think of it as a TBS. Also, my conception of a RPG is like what I did (tried to do?) with Captured, which is NOT typical of Wesnoth.
It was actually after playing Captured that I devised this poll. It was really interesting, although honestly mostly because of its uniqueness. I don't know if the engine was designed for this type of thing.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

I mostly think of Wesnoth as a
:arrow: Turn Based Strategy
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
scott

Post by scott »

I would have to say TBS. If your hero tries to fight an enless series of identical enemies in Wesnoth, he'll get his ass kicked. In an RPG, he gains lots of levels.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ryn

Post by ryn »

scott: that depends on your hero and his enemies.
2B |! 2B = 3F
Glowing Fish

Wesnoth as an RPG

Post by Glowing Fish »

I seem to be the only person who voted for "RPG", although I think I voted that way because I knew it would be the less popular option.

But the thing is, Wesnoth is a TBS in my mind but an RPG in my heart. I am a constant save\loader, not because I couldn't win without losing some units, but because I can't bear to see my loyal troops die. I think: "oh no, Blent! You've been with me since I was in my father's castle!".

So, if it doesn't sound stupid, it is a "role playing game" because I do get into the role I am playing. When I am playing Civ, I don't think of myself as personally living in my Civilization, but when I play Wesnoth, I do imagine that I am Haldric, or Konrad, or sometimes the Lady Jessica :)
pravin

Post by pravin »

I think of it as a turn based strategy (with certain RPG elements. esp in campaigns)
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
Star Gazer

Re: Wesnoth as an RPG

Post by Star Gazer »

Glowing Fish wrote:...when I play Wesnoth, I do imagine that I am Haldric, or Konrad, or sometimes the Lady Jessica :)
...yyyyeeessssss...... :shock:

No, seriously, I do find that I hate losing a unit that has steadily progressed from an early scenario to be a really effective unit.

But it' still a TBS

Still worried about Glowing Fish and Lady Jessica, tho'... :wink:
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme.
This is the exact term of wesnoth in the 'home' page and I agree with it.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

I would say it like many marketers (uhh... is that a word?) say when publishing new games: a turn-based strategy game with RPG elements...

After all, the units do level, and in the campaigns the heroes have characters...
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

I think that having units that level up with wxperience doesn`t make a game RPG. So wesnoth is more like stragedy-game.

Man, i hate it when i hear someone calling Diablo 2 the greatest RPG ever. Diablo hasn`t ever seen a real RPG. The short comes from Role-playing-game(RPG) not hack-and-slash-you-way-through-endless-horde-of-monsters-without-any-alternative-methods-of-achieving-your-goals (hasywtehomwaamoayg for short :roll: )
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
General Ludd

Post by General Ludd »

I think of it as a roleplaying game. Actually, for a TBS to be good, i think it has to be a roleplaying game aswell.

All of the TBS games that I like, involve a great deal of roleplaying - in Civilization, you are roleplaying a nation. In Space empires you are roleplaying an alien species, in Dominions, you are roleplaying a faction in a fantasy world, and so on... Granted, Wesnoth doesn't have the same amount of depth in playing your role like those games do (well, dominions is arguable) but it still has an element of roleplay, and that small element is what makes the game interesting to play. Without that element it would be lifeless and uninteresting - no different than any other number-crunching strategy game.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

In Freeciv (which i've heard is a lot like civ), little to no roleplaying is involved. You just create a nation, there is no plot, etc.

Wesnoth, OTOH, has a detailed story in each campaign, and a detailed fantasy world the game takes place in.

Am I missing something here? Is Civ really that different from FreeCiv?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm