Possible to code experience gain on terrain?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Des

Possible to code experience gain on terrain?

Post by Des »

How about this for a multiplayer map:

Two bases north and south with all villages on one side. On the other side is a capture point (with a different graphic like a windmill). A unit that spends an entire turn on this point gains 5 experience.

Variations of this can throw a village or two on the side of the capture point as well.

Or instead of providing experience, the capture point provides more gold than normal.

The idea is to have at least two fronts of battle, one in maintaining villages on one side, and one either gaining or preventing experience on the other.

Another thing to do is have equal villages and a capture point on each side...one providing the extra gold, the other providing the experience.

Let me know what you guys think. Also, is this even possible to code in WML?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Possible to code experience gain on terrain?

Post by zookeeper »

Deciero wrote:How about this for a multiplayer map:

Two bases north and south with all villages on one side. On the other side is a capture point (with a different graphic like a windmill). A unit that spends an entire turn on this point gains 5 experience.
Use this as a starting point and just change it to give XP instead of damage, and on the locations you want instead of during lawful ToD's. And have the [unstore_unit] level up the unit if it reaches max XP.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Deciero wrote:Or instead of providing experience, the capture point provides more gold than normal.
This is similar to having many villages in one place. For example you could have a group of villages surronded by impassable terrain, with only one entry hex -- so that it can be guarded by one unit. ;-) The only difference is that is takes more turns to capture the villages.
Deciero wrote:The idea is to have at least two fronts of battle
Putting two groups of villages could perhaps have similar effects.

But maybe (either in original or modified proposal) each player would just grab one "super-village" and they would fight between them. It would be probably wiser to throw all your army against one supervillage, than to split it in halves, lose one half against opponent's whole army... so everyone grabs one supervillage, but enemy has more surviving units.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

These sort of questions tend to be better placed in the WML workshop forum.

However, the closest example that already exists in Mainline is the second scenario in Under the Burning Suns, where any unit on a desert space loses 4/5/6 hp per turn. You can lift the chunk of WML from the scenario and adapt it to give experience instead. Including a requirement of staying still for one turn might be tricky though.

However, 5 XP per turn would be hugely overpowering. You'd probably end up with both players sitting in these windmills unit all their units are L3, then fighting, which would make a boring game. I'd recommend either reducing ti to 1 or 2 XP per turn, or limit the number of turns you can get XP.
Des

Post by Des »

Chris NS wrote: However, 5 XP per turn would be hugely overpowering. You'd probably end up with both players sitting in these windmills unit all their units are L3, then fighting, which would make a boring game. I'd recommend either reducing ti to 1 or 2 XP per turn, or limit the number of turns you can get XP.

There would only be one capture point that gives 5xp per turn. The idea is that players fight over that one point because it is too powerful for one side to have.
Des

Post by Des »

Viliam wrote: But maybe (either in original or modified proposal) each player would just grab one "super-village" and they would fight between them.

Right. What I'm going for is having at least one critical point on the map that would force players to fight over it. Instead of only having equal villages scattered across the map, the alternative is to throw in a variant village that provides more gold or experience to units.

Take the MP map The Freelands as an example. Now in the middle of the left and right flanks put a supervillage or xp/turn giver. The result is that players would fight over these two points as a means of victory, as opposed to the lesser villages which provide normal income.

I think this would add an interesting spin to MP maps. What do you guys think?
suvorov

Post by suvorov »

I think that you should try it.... I do get bored with the mirror image multiplayer maps. I'm a fan of asymmetry. I'd like to see a "balanced" but asymettrical map. One that might favor certain factions over others. Eventually I think such maps would be good at establishing Wesnoth lore... Cities and fortresses of the various factions.

anyways yes... I would definitely be willing to test and try this map idea... the capture point in particular would just be an intersting piece of WML code that could probably be used in various other scenarios etc.
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee
rchandra

Post by rchandra »

For super-villages and especially for XP-shrines, I think making them locations with awful defense would be interesting. This would make it harder to hold the point until turn start, which is when it would actually do anything.