Another Unit Ability: Rallies

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Airk

Another Unit Ability: Rallies

Post by Airk »

Yes, we don't need any more unit abilities. It amuses me to share this one anyway.

A unit with Rallies (which would probably be akin to a Standard Bearer or something), would, effectively, give Fearless to adjacent friendly units, so they would not take any time of day based penalties. It's kinda like a weird combination of leadership and illuminates.

It's less good than Leadership or Illuminates because it never gives a positive bonus, only negates a penalty, but it also stacks with leadership - though probably not with illuminates. A unit in an illuminated area is already taking no ToD penalities. Though I guess it could cancel the negative effects of illuminate on Chaotic units.

That's my useless brainstorm for the month.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

That's clever. One of the most interesting trait ideas I've ever come across.
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

That is one of the better ideas I've heard.
Raemon

Post by Raemon »

I like it.
I'm a newbie. Don't listen to what I say.
Martian

Post by Martian »

I like it.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

i dont like it very much. any new ability should be, like, DIFFERENT, or like, VERY different from anything that already exists. even when its less useful and daytime-dependent, then gameplay-wise you would still be using it almost like leadership. good abillities enhance variety of strategies, this one doesnt. dont think of alterations of current stuff, think NEW stuff.
Null

Post by Null »

I also like this idea, I just worry that it might negate the point of a night/day attack.
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

I like it.
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Sounds like it could make for an interesting combination with other ones.
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

Would be fun to try this one on the Goblin Leader
playtom

Post by playtom »

i like it too. but this isn't the first time two abilities have combined together. :o
evolved around the confined environment, emotions, knowledge and events mixed into my life, mere mortal am i, trying to climb higher up the ladder, time passes, just then i realized, death will part me eventually. - playtom's philosophy
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sounds like it could be an extension to {ABILITY_LEADERSHIP}, so that the unit in question that has that ability of fearless application on other units, forcedly must have the normal leadership applied to, both under a single name.

However, I don't see what this implies that can't be done with a {ABILITY_ILLUMINATES} unit adyacent to a leadership-able unit, the two adjacent to the fighter. Or by having an {ABILITY_OBSCURES}, which is something I'm experimenting with.

EDIT: or of course, having a leadership-able unit that can also illuminate, adjacent to the fighter. 8) These two methods are just doable right now!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Airk

Post by Airk »

Shadow Master wrote:Sounds like it could be an extension to {ABILITY_LEADERSHIP}, so that the unit in question that has that ability of fearless application on other units, forcedly must have the normal leadership applied to, both under a single name.

However, I don't see what this implies that can't be done with a {ABILITY_ILLUMINATES} unit adyacent to a leadership-able unit, the two adjacent to the fighter. Or by having an {ABILITY_OBSCURES}, which is something I'm experimenting with.

EDIT: or of course, having a leadership-able unit that can also illuminate, adjacent to the fighter. 8) These two methods are just doable right now!
I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, but it sounds like you're making more of this ability than I meant when I suggested it. Here's a little sort of table. All entries assume a lawful unit.

Unit in Day:
Leadership: +25%
Illuminates: No effect
Rallies: No effect

Unit in Dawn/Dusk:
Illuminates: +25%
Rallies: No effect

Unit in Night:
Illuminates: 25% penalty is removed
Rallies: 25% penalty is removed

Now, leadership works with either of the other two, obviously, but Rallies wouldn't stack with Illuminates. (Illuminates would modify the ToD, so Rallies would have no effect.)

Obviously, this ability is less powerful than Leadership (And illuminates, for that matter), but it might make an interesting ability for "proto-leader" units - all the various level 1 campaign units that get Leadership when they level up, but have no special skills at level 1.

The idea being that the unit with Rallies doesn't yet have enough charisma to truly inspire his allies to greater effectiveness, but he's got enough force of presence that being near him is enough to "rally" friendly units and dispell their fear of fighting at a bad time of day.