Wesnoth 1.3.7

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.3.7

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.3.7 is out!

So this is 1.3.7. You ask what is new in this release? No idea... ;)
Okay, some of the important changes I do know. E.g. there now is a "linger mode". That only means that whenever you finish a scenario, you still stay in it until you hit the "end turn"-button. This is meant to allow you to save a replay if you want to and to have a look at your units and so on. You always enter this mode in 1.3.7 at the end of a scenario, no matter if you are in a normal singleplayer game or in a multiplayer game. But since this is a development release, there are still some bugs with this new feature. Currently there are some strange bugs with this linger mode at the end of mp games: Saving and so on will work without a problem, but chatting in it does not work. We will look into fixing this in the next release.

There is one more known bug left in this release. Currently there are sometimes problems with leveling up units and them not getting HP restored to their maximum. It's not a feature, it's a bug. We hope to fix it in the next release...

Boucman just pointed me to some deep changes in the animation engine that should have no impact at all. But you know, devs saying "no impact" always means "Man, you will have many problems...". ;)

Another good news for multiplayer guys are some changes to the "Use map settings stuff". Have a look at the players_changelog since I have no idea what exactly changed...

To shown that there were not only changes worth mentioning for multiplayer people, here is a nice one for campaign lovers: We added the campaign Liberty to mainline. I hope you enjoy it.

What else was changed? Some updated graphics, translations and probably a lot more that I am too lazy to mention now. For a more complete list (not 100% complete, some devs tend to forget adding entries) have a look at the changelog. A changelog with the changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players_changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wesn ... 2?download (83.3MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.3.6a to 1.3.7, 8.1MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is ready and available at the download page.

The Mac OSX binary is ready and available at the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is not available yet.

No idea which other binaries are ready, but all the known packagers have been contacted. Infos about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth.

Soon we will forbid 1.3.6 on the mp server because it might cause problems when playing together with 1.3.6 clients (and we want to focus on getting 1.3.7 tested ;) ). So consider doing an update as soon as possible. We want to wait with this until the MacOSX and the Windows binary are ready but once they are out we will do so.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them after reading the instructions about how to post them. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

Edit: Added the now ready Windows binary.
Edit2: Added the now ready MacOSX binary.
Last edited by ivanovic on September 20th, 2007, 10:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Damn, i thought it would come after Neo was done with his new Drakes.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Damn, i thought it would come after Neo was done with his new Drakes.
Me too. But I knew, the devs would not be patient enough to wait for him to finish them before releasing a new version. ;) Good to hear that Liberty is alive again and was moved to mainline. And thanks for clarifying the GPL versioning applied to Wesnoth.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

1.3.7 is a dev release... the basic timing for releasing dev release is "whenever the game is not broken and ivanovic has time" new features rarely affect that schedule, and art rarely brakes the game ;)

note that this is only true for real dev releases, for stable and stabilizing release, we try to be much more coherent, but the aim of these releases is to get early playtesting of new features, not to deliver a coherent content...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Myr

Post by Myr »

Is there a place one couple upload a compiled binary? I noticed there is no downloadable deb for the latest stable or dev release for Ubuntu, and I made one for 1.3.7.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Boucman wrote:the basic timing for releasing dev release is "whenever the game is not broken and ivanovic has time"
And he is the lord of translations? Should be the lord of releases. :P I wonder who I should thank for the xdeltas.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

He started with translations and took more responsbilities over time. The xdelta are also done by Ivanovic.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Myr, I'd check out Rapidshare or Megaupload for now, until a binary can get put onto sourceforge.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Myr wrote:Is there a place one couple upload a compiled binary? I noticed there is no downloadable deb for the latest stable or dev release for Ubuntu, and I made one for 1.3.7.
Ehm, there were binaries, just have a look at the debian mirrors. Wesnoth tends to be updated in there in basically no time...

The Debian packages page should show you the packages. No idea what exactly you have to do to get those into your system but at least somehow downloading the .debs by hand and making your package manager install them should work nicely.
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Will UtBS be fully playable now?
In 1.3.6 it was bugged.
MDG

Post by MDG »

Mithridates wrote:Will UtBS be fully playable now?
In 1.3.6 it was bugged.
Are bug fixes for UTBS mentioned in the changelog(s)?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Fortunately we have a new maintainer for UTBS so hopefully it will get completely playable soon again.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

UtBS is still getting rewritten, may take some more dev releases until it's really playable again. It's a huge and old campaign with lots of outdated stuff to be replaced.

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Outdated only on WML? Because in that case it'd be quickly repaired if player submit WML patches as they find deprecated code. :wink:
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Yes, the main problem is outdated WML which is either deprecated, way more verbose then required as in not using current features or even buggy. If you use the latest SVN and improve the WML posting your patches on bugs.wesnoth.org the work will be done earlier.