Plagued Ones (development stage:coding/publishing)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Angels Fell First

Plagued Ones (development stage:coding/publishing)

Post by Angels Fell First »

Hey, im relatively new to Wesnoth (really only know the basics), and thus i was going to create a faction to increase my knowlege of the game. Should it be successful, perhaps i will make an era.. who knows.

The name of the faction is "plagued ones".

Background:
During the early years of Wesnoth, a settelment housed the people of Scandentia. These common-folk lived much like every other village of it's kind. However countless wars continued across Wesnoth, leaving behind waste and bodies from the fighting. Over time these bodies have begun to rot, and decompose in to the very ground the Scandentian's grow their corps and herd their livestock on. To make matters worse, some bodies were dumped into the rivers. These were the Scandentian's main scource of water. In one major battle between two rivaling bands, infected dogs were sent by one to disrupt the enemy camp(though they didnt know they were infected, the dogs had flees carrying a disease not detectable). Any man bitten by these dogs instantly contracted this disease much similar to that of the Black Death. After the battle, bodies were thrown into the river, and floated downstream infecting the drinking water of the Scandentian's. It wasn't long before these people began dying and developing unusual symptoms e.g. rage, slight greeness in the skin, and extremly dilated pupils. The disease was past through the generations infecting everyone, though a mutation had occured, preventing death, but preserving and controlling the body as a host to this disease, thus getting the name, Plagued ones.

If anyone has played Warhammer, imagine Nurgle, that is one idea of what they may look like, just a bit more human like and less chaos.
------x------

Heres just some basic ideas for units, i've got no college at the moment so i can do alot of thinking about it:
Thier basic stats will be based on the Plagued ones characteristics. As they are infected by a plague that preserves their host's life, they have an increase in HP and resistence, however this backfires as it makes them sluggish and slow, their reactions are slow and thus they will have few attacks.

Plagued Peasant
lvl 0
chaotic
HP:24 MP:5 XP:18
melee: 3 - 3
ranged: 4 - 1
His/Her ranged attack I imagine to be some form of vomitting etc. thus being poisonous.

------x------

Plagued Warrior
lvl 1
chaotic
HP:37 MP:5 XP:39
melee: 3 - 4
ranged: 5 - 1

------x------

Plagued Chief
lvl 2
chaotic
HP:60 MP:6 XP:89
melee: 8 - 2
ranged: 7 - 1

------x------

Plagued Lord
lvl 3
chaotic
HP:78 MP:7 XP:100
melee: 12 - 3
ranged: 14 - 1

------x------
I will get round to doing more when i get some idea of what people think

Please comment, suggest, question, whatever. I am new at this and thus im willing to learn.
Last edited by Angels Fell First on October 9th, 2007, 7:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Nightwish fan?

You should note that ideas and stats are actual not the problem but graphics. So this forum is full of aborted factions because they lacked something to play with. So you should better start to learn spriting. :P

Where are manners though. Welcome to the forums enjoy your stay.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
jdsampayo

Re: new faction idea - plagued ones

Post by jdsampayo »

Angels Fell First wrote: Plagued Peasant
lvl 0
chaotic
HP:24 MP:0 XP:18
His/Her ranged attack I imagine to be some form of vomitting etc. thus being poisonous.
Are you saying that they will can not move?
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Angels Fell First

jdsampayo wrote:
Angels Fell First wrote: Plagued Peasant
lvl 0
chaotic
HP:24 MP:0 XP:18
Are you saying that they will can not move?

Woops, that's supposed to be 5 lol thanks for pointing it out.
and yes i am a Nightwish fan :wink:

Sprites should be ok though for a tester. I plan on Frankensteining sprites to begin with, mainly from zombies and human pieces.
Im ok at art, so ill see how they turn out.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Angels Fell First wrote: Should it be successful, perhaps i will make an era..
You do realize you can't have a faction without an era?
Angels Fell First

zookeeper wrote:
Angels Fell First wrote: Should it be successful, perhaps i will make an era..
You do realize you can't have a faction without an era?
yup, i hoped that if i successfully made the faction, that i could incorporate it into someone else's era. But at this moment in time i just plan on getting better at the game and making sprites

EDIT: Ive added a few more units, and I've already thought of what they will look like and what their history is. Still no stats for them yet, but ill keep thinking.

Ok, As the Plagued Ones level, the become more mutated and their appearance becomes more disgusting, until lvl 4, the disease has mutated so much that the host's body has completly changed into another being. Other people would obviously see this as a sign that the devil has taken over the body, thus naming it Sin Incarnate.

The Plagued monk is rather self-explanatory. Its simply the mage of the faction, evolving into a Priest, which is a stronger version, or a Heretic, who will probably be more based around combat than spells

The Plagued mut is obviously a dog, with the disease. As it evolves the same thing happens as it did with the Plauged warriors. It becomes a Mutated creature (of darkness to keep the who Devil feel)

And finally the Swams, are intended to be a mixture of rats, snakes, insects, birds etc. All of which have caught the disease some how. Instead of evolving into something more powerful, they simple grow in number increasing attacks and HP(representing each creature rather than just one)

Im thinking of stats and more units, as well as beginning some sketches and sprites, could take a while though
Last edited by Angels Fell First on July 19th, 2007, 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laudimir

Post by Laudimir »

Hmm, you could try going in the direction of some type of plague (or demon possessing) overmind thing.

This would make a bit more sense, as far as swarms go (I assume you meant plagued SWARM rather than SWAM).

As to magic users- usually, magic users are required to be sentient. The overmind could possibly explain this.
Angels Fell First

Laudimir wrote:Hmm, you could try going in the direction of some type of plague (or demon possessing) overmind thing.

This would make a bit more sense, as far as swarms go (I assume you meant plagued SWARM rather than SWAM).

As to magic users- usually, magic users are required to be sentient. The overmind could possibly explain this.
I see what you mean about the whole magic thing. With this in mind, im changing the whole idea very slightly. They are not completely controlled by the disease, they live normally like everyday people, with the disease inside them granting them extended life, in order to keep the "host" alive as long as possible. However the disease still poisons the body, thus they suffer the horrible symptoms of vomitting, boils etc. They have the plague however the disease's will to live means keeping the body alive.

All in all, they are not zombies, they are living conscious beings. Just the disease has left their appearance far from that, and overtime, the constant pain and suffering theses people have suffered from the disease has lead to rage and anger (much like a dog trapped in bear trap)

When the disease realises that the body doesn't have long to live, it takes over the host's mind (possess) to preserve its life for as long as possible, and thus mutations occur, showing the true form of the disease.

And yes I did mean swarm :wink: lol, im quite bad at spelling

Some sleep has done me good and ive thought of a few more units, and have coded one of them (though he is only using a peasant sprite, he is coded)

*NOTE, it is supposed to say swarm, i just cant spell, and cant be bothered to change it at this moment lol

Oh and please keep commenting and adding your opinions and ideas, especially on balancing the troops with others. To me they may look right but a more experienced person may think differently.
Last edited by Angels Fell First on July 19th, 2007, 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Make the priest look like plague doctors, with those beaked masks and long coats covering their bodies.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

You familiar with Resident Evil 4? It sounds kind of like Los Illuminados. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Plagas
Angels Fell First

TheBladeRoden wrote:You familiar with Resident Evil 4? It sounds kind of like Los Illuminados. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Plagas
I am a little familiar, i havn't played the game personally, but i do remember seeing a screen shot of this villiager walking around with a Pincer like insect thing lol sticking out the top of his head. I could imagine that to be the Plagued Lord, although it wouldnt be out of his head, perhaps through his stomache or something lol. And i like Cuyo Quiz's idea about making the doctors where the beaked masks. Though they still with have the disease, just be warying the cosutme out of tradition.

Ive got a few more units down, and have almost finnished the first draft of their evolution tree. Though i still need a name for one more unit. Could be anything you like, so please suggest. Or in turn if you dont think it requires any more units please say lol

houli

Post by houli »

Having so many lvl4's in a faction is kinda strange and probably you'll never get them used unless you make a campaign with the faction included. In normal mp games its rare to get even lvl3 units and personally I've never seen a lvl4 in normal mp game.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

houli wrote:Having so many lvl4's in a faction is kinda strange and probably you'll never get them used unless you make a campaign with the faction included. In normal mp games its rare to get even lvl3 units and personally I've never seen a lvl4 in normal mp game.
This is very true. It is better to have no more than one lvl 4 unit in a multiplayer faction.
Angels Fell First

Temuchin Khan wrote:
houli wrote:Having so many lvl4's in a faction is kinda strange and probably you'll never get them used unless you make a campaign with the faction included. In normal mp games its rare to get even lvl3 units and personally I've never seen a lvl4 in normal mp game.
This is very true. It is better to have no more than one lvl 4 unit in a multiplayer faction.
Ahh ok thanx :P .

Im therefore getting rid of a few units of which i wasn't too keen on (either name or idea) so now there's only 1 lvl 4 and a few lvl 3's.

Angels Fell First

ok sorry for being away, i've had a lot of work to do on other projects, and wesnoth has been pushed to the back lol.

And so im getting back to work on the plauged ones, tonight ill be working on some base sprites for them. But im going out now, so ill do them when i get back :wink:

ill edit this post giving a link once i get them done ^_^

EDIT:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17374

ok heres the link to the art work... im still working on them and i am new to spriting lol