Haldric I and the Rise of Wesnoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shade

Haldric I and the Rise of Wesnoth

Post by Shade »

Hi, I was wondering if there was a (small?) campaign dealing with the arrival of Haldric I (As detailed @ http://wesnoth.slack.it/?WesnothHistory ), the first king of Wesnoth, to the land of Wesnoth. Or, if there is a more detailed time line of this era. I don't want to step on anybody's toes here, but I've started work on a campaign that deals with these events. If there is prior art in this area I'm quite willing to cease and desist. At this stage things are quite tentative, but if nobody else it dealing with this time frame I'd like to build a campaign around this time frame. At this point there is little more than some doodling on paper, and a couple of incomplete maps. Here's the questions this campaign seeks to answer:

1. Who were the men of Wesnoth before they arrived?
2. How did man discover Wesnoth (or the 'Great Continent')?
<- Campaign starts here ->
3. Why did man migrate there in great numbers?
4. After they got to Wesnoth, why did the Elves tolerate them?
5. Why did King Haldric I betray the elves?
<- Campaign Ends Here ->

My answers are tentative, but here goes:
1. Who were the men of Wesnoth before they arrived? The men of Wesnoth came from an Isle to the East. They had arrived on this cold green Isle some centuries before, from some other continent even further to the East. At that time this Isle was deserted, and the forefathers of Wesnoth grew in numbers and flourished. A series of kingdoms emerged, and in times crises a 'Great King' would be nominated by consensus. But after some centuries of relative isolation, a new wave of settlers arrived from the Eastern continent. They were a wicked, brutal, and dirty lot. They were the vanquished from their homes in some war back on the Eastern continent. A war broke out between the forefathers of Wesnoth and the 'Easterners'. The 'Easterners' were not numerous, but they used dark magic, and legions of the walking dead. . . The forefathers of Wesnoth gleaned their first shards of knowledge about magic while fighting these men. After a time of great struggle a peace was reached. The forefathers of Wesnoth came to dominate most of the Isle, with the 'Easterners' pushed onto the most marginal lands.

2. How did man discover Wesnoth (or the 'great continent')? The route from the Eastern continent to the Eastern Isle was perilous at the best of times. So perilous that a stable trading relationship between the mainland and the Isle could never be established. If that was bad, thing only got worse when looking to the West. A strong, cold, ocean current swept down from the North in the Western Ocean, pushing all ships horribly off course. Ships that travelled West, and returned, reported nothing but open ocean, and vile sea monsters, in that direction. . . Some decades / centuries later. . . Men matured, they learnt of things such as the compass, and how to navigate accurately by the stars. Then, one day, a crown price of the largest kingdom on the 'Eastern Isle' returned home from a long voyage with a fabulous tale. He said that there was a continent to the West, that could only be reached by the brave of heart, and by aggressively 'tacking' to the West and North, to compensate for the Southern pull of the ocean current. . . Thus, in later ages, the human kingdom, on the South Eastern corner of the "Great Continent" became known as 'Wesnoth', or the land "West and North" of the "Eastern Isle". . .

3. Why did man migrate there in great numbers? A decade or so later. . . After the 'Crown Prince' who discovered the 'Great Continent' fell ill and died, under questionable circumstances. His younger brother, and next in line for the throne, needed a distraction. He conspired to start a war with the poor 'Easterner' kingdoms, and their dark lords. Forced onto marginal lands, time had not been kind to them. . . They would be easy prey. . . And he would lead the grand conquering army himself. . .

Well, the Prince was partially correct. The 'Easterners' were easy prey, but he forgot their fondness for dark magic. One eastern Lich-lord, sensing that the end was neigh, opened a gate to the heart of the far off orcish homeland, and pledged to visit, "all of the terrors of hell" upon the island. It is unknown if the Lich-lord survived, or managed to form an alliance with the Orcs, what is known is that the 'conquering' prince was killed, and that the largest army ever assembled on the Island was destroyed with him.

Now, the countryside teems with dispossessed 'Easterners', not warriors but refugees, and hosts of Orcs are following not far behind. . . There is no hope, and little time. . . . Just a few scant and desperate years before the unending hoards of Orcs wipe the last traces of humanity off the 'Eastern Isle'. . .

<- Campaign starts here ->

Enter Haldric I, a price of a minor kingdom. He is cast in the role of 'Moses', leading the human survivors to the recently discovered lands to the West. He is the classic reluctant hero, who build grass roots support, in spite of insurmountable odds. . .
(This is where 'the Exodus' scenarios take place)

The humans migrated to 'Wesnoth' because they had no other choice. The lands to the East were already claimed, their island home was being destroyed, and they needed to flee beyond the reach of the orcs.
(Scenarios about the voyage)

4. Why did the elves tolerate the arrival of the humans? Because of the geo-strategic situation: the Southeastern portion of the 'great continent' was always sparsely forested and lightly populated by elves. The elves quietly feared broad dwarven expansion into the region. While the elves had little desire to densely colonise the region they did not want to see the emergence of dwarven supremacy over time. When humans started to arrive in numbers the elves, after making the humans jump though some hoops (Some scenarios there), decided to be 'gracious' and allow the humans to settle. Better a third, and minor, power on the 'Great Continent', to maintain elven dominance, than the elves becoming the decidedly lesser of two powers.

5. Why did King Haldric I betray the elves (when the orcs arrived)? My answer. . . Haldric discovers that the elves decided to rescind their hospitality when they discover that trouble was following the humans. They decided to let the humans and orcs battle to the death, then the elves would mop up whoever was left, then come to some arrangement with the dwarves over the South-East. Heldric's fledgling kingdom wasn't to survive, and with a heavy heart he decides upon a plan. He will deceive the Orcs into attacking the elves, giving him time to shore up his defences. . . (This deception will be the final scenario)

<- Campaign Ends Here ->

Questions:
- Why did the Orcs decide to follow the humans to this new land? Maybe the Orcs discovered that the humans fled with a powerful artifact that they desired (Maybe, the Sceptre of Fire??)

- How does Haldric deceive the Orcs into attacking the Elves? Maybe he convinces them that the price of their colonisation was to hand the aforementioned artifact over to the elves.

Footnotes:
- Since the Litch-lord mentioned earlier was a gate builder, that could explain how the undead wound up in the East. Still more late comers seeking the 'artifact'?
- This scenario was devised as a way to solidify some of the early history of Wesnoth. I'm quite open to suggestions. . .
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

The information in the time line is taken from the main campaign and Daves three challange scenarios. One of the scenarios provides the back ground information from the early days of Wesnoth. It is about the forces sent by Haldric II to help the elves though.

To answer your questions as best I can (dave makes up the history, I'm just the guy who writes it down):

1. The Men of Wesnoth have forgoten where it was they came from by the time of Konrad.

2. Unknown

3. They liked it I gusse

4. They Elves were cautious of the Humans who had apeared in great numbers and they were not inclined to fight with humans as long as they kept controll of thier forests and the humans stuck to the plains and grassland.

5. Haldric I valued the life of soldiers over his agreement with the elves and selfishly witheld his forces from giving them aid.

Your idea sounds interesting for a campagin though, but you should try and get some more facts out of dave.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Shade

Thanks. . . Anybody else?

Post by Shade »

Thnx,

Yeah, I could use some clarification. Still plucking away at it. Hope to have a beta of the first few levels in a week or so. . .
>>1. The Men of Wesnoth have forgotten where it was they came from by the time of Konrad.
That fits, its OK, this is ancient history we're dealing with. . .

>> 2. Unknown
Even better. Not mucking up the written history then. . .

>>3. They liked it I gusse
LOL. Yeah. Man has a tendency to do that, but they do it best when they do it in a vacuum. I think that they'd have trouble colonising against entrenched elves and dwarves, hence my explanation. . .

>>4. They Elves were cautious of the Humans who had appeared in great numbers and they were not inclined to fight with humans as long as they kept control of their forests and the humans stuck to the plains and grassland.

OK. This still fits. I'd like to give it a bit of a higher order geo-political context. . . But still, it fits with the spirit of what I said, with a little bit of elvish spin. . .

>> 5. Haldric I valued the life of soldiers over his agreement with the elves and selfishly withheld his forces from giving them aid.

Hmmm, this is the part that is hard to reconcile. . . Maybe this was the elvish spin on events, or what Haldric I said in public. . . to avoid the perception that he was spying on the elves. Still can be made to fit. . .

I saw the tread with the three challenge scenarios listed. When I get time I'll download them and check the dialogue and story. They seem old. Will they work with a current ver of Wesnoth?