King of the hill - updated

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

telex4

King of the hill - updated

Post by telex4 »

I think the game needs far more good multiplayer maps by default (random maps are good, but not as interesting as carefully designed maps). I've been playing around with the map editor and randomly generated maps (from the multiplayer screen in-game) to try and quickly make something good.

Attached is a map I've wanted to make for a while, based on a map that used to be in Total Annihilation - King of the Hill.

The idea is that you have four castles inhabited by players, one in each corner, and an uninhabited fifth one in the middle, with a reasonably high number of villages around it. Players can either choose to fight from their castle, or make a dash for the hill in the middle, from where they should be able to hold the other players off, especially if you work in teams.

It's especially fun with fog of war, since you don't know whether the other players are going for the hill :)

I'm only just playtesting it now, so comments and revisions (especially with village positioning) are very welcome :)
Last edited by telex4 on May 28th, 2004, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Update... I've worked on the map a little to redistribute villages, and tidy up the tiles so it looks more consistent, and less like a random map :)

Give it a go!
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Oops.. bugfix (one player started on a mysteriously empty castle!)
AT

Comments?

Post by AT »

Anyone have any comments? I'm testing it now.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Afraid I've only played the first one, but I found it to be interesting. My brothers are crazed multiplayers, and I had them test it with me. Had Undead, Knalgan Alliance, Rebels, and Northerners. Each player has a relatively equal chance of reaching it except the NW player, they are behind a bit. It was most easily defended by the elves. My 9-year old brother took control of it, and built three woses around the parameter. These held pretty well, while he controlled the villages. Eventually I overpowered him, but I think if the Dwarves had taken it, it would have been even more defensible. All in all, a good multiplayer scenario.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I played it with my wife against some AIs last night. I usually play random map games with low village counts and 2 gpv. I set this to 2 gpv...and soon found that that was a mistake :) I guess it was designed for 1 gpv, which is fine, I guess I should have realized that ;)

We didn't actually finish our game because the huge incomes 2gpv gave us made it get somewhat out of hand.

One thing that struck me is for a 'King of the Hill' type scenario, there really aren't that many villages in the middle -- to me there are really villages all over the map, including in the middle.

I did think it looked like a nicely designed map overall though.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Yes, I did put more villages in the middle at first, but then found it so absurdly easy against the AI, unless they were all allied, that I took some back out.

Now it's not so much that you get lots of gold for being in the middle, but that, if you can hold the hill, you're in the best position to strike the enemy.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

telex4 wrote:Yes, I did put more villages in the middle at first, but then found it so absurdly easy against the AI, unless they were all allied, that I took some back out.
It would be cool to have an AI that can be told to try to move its AI to another castle under certain conditions :)

This wouldn't be easy to do...but it would be cool to have ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Dave wrote:It would be cool to have an AI that can be told to try to move its AI to another castle under certain conditions :)

This wouldn't be easy to do...but it would be cool to have ;)
That it would. The AI would need to take into consideration the risk in each turn though, according to:

- The balance of units between castles
- The number of villages the enemies have (i.e. how many will they recruit during the move)
- The urgency (i.e. how many turns are left, how many turns will it take to reach the new castle, how many turns will the AI need after it arrives)

And to be really good at it, the AI would need to move its units to prepare for the move, to try and eliminate units in between the castles, and hold the new castle rather than venturing off and getting killed.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Since people seemed to like this scenario, will it go into CVS? (Apparently I need a definite 'yes' from a developer)

If there are any tweaks needed, I can make them first.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes, I will ask Cedric to add it to the CVS.

Thanks for your contribution!

David
cedric

Post by cedric »

telex4 wrote:Since people seemed to like this scenario, will it go into CVS?
King of the Hill will be in the (soon to come) next release.

--
Cedric
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Bump!

An update on the map... mostly moving villages around to encourage players (especially the AI) to move into the center of the map, and to make it a little easier to hold the hill.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

(can someone commit this new version to CVS?)