Defense of the Goblin II - A new version, a new world!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Baufo
Inactive Developer

Defense of the Goblin II - A new version, a new world!

Post by Baufo »

I am currently working on another DotX MP-scenario I will call Defence of the Goblin. The difference to other DotX scenarios is that you don't get a tough 1000hp unit to defend but a weak level 0 goblin. You can not only purchase upgrades for yourself but also for you gobby. Furthermore you can buy cavewall hexs around him and better defensive terrain (I plan to let him start in water) and open secret passages or teleporting hexes to your opponents goblin.
I think that I can to most of the WML myself (and copy it from existing DotXs) but I have been trying to create a map I like without success the whole afternoon. So please, don't let me down! Where are your ideas for the map? If you try to help me you should know other DotX maps and try to expose the starting positions of the gobby a bit so there is enough room to built walls.
Last edited by Baufo on May 13th, 2007, 7:09 pm, edited 28 times in total.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

To Dave_N3T: That was a pretty neat map you have just shown me at the MP server. But I forgot to save the game and you left so fast that I could not ask you to host it again. So, please, post it here! I really liked it!
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Why not make the map a labrinth of cave wall? Not neccessarily have cave floor, but making it a maze would be cool
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Maybe not for the entire map, but I like the idea of a maze, random generated with shroud.
To bad I don't know how random map WML works.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

AFAIK, no good for your purposes. You'd be better off writing a WML event to generate the map randomly.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Doesn't that cause OOS errors?
Elvish_Pillager

You can use pseudorandom.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

It seems like a heavy task for WML. Maybe you'd be better off extending the map generator code.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
server

Post by server »

Elvish Pillager wrote:You can use pseudorandom.
A reminder: Pseudorandom won't work before turn 2....
Elvish_Pillager

server wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:You can use pseudorandom.
A reminder: Pseudorandom won't work before turn 2....
A more important reminder: You should read the description on the PseudoRandom page before using (or possibly even making statements about) the pseudorandom macro. :roll:
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

The first version (without maze) is now ready.
I'm going to test it on the MP server soon.

Note: Prices are not balanced yet, bugs might occur. If you are going to try it you please tell me your experiences.

PS: I hope I have not stolen too much WML, let me know if you want me to rewrite the copied parts :wink:
Last edited by Baufo on August 18th, 2006, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

to me this sounds like a possible case of too many game elements all at once. Wesnoth is complicated as it is...

In my experience giving someone a ton of options and choice like this leads to a few problems. It can lead to choice paralysis unbalance and a watered down importance of any individual element (should I get my goblin a double hp bonus or double terrain bonus, who cares its the same thing)

not that i care, odo whatever wyou want obviously, just something to consider :)

have a good day
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Becephalus wrote:to me this sounds like a possible case of too many game elements all at once. Wesnoth is complicated as it is...

In my experience giving someone a ton of options and choice like this leads to a few problems. It can lead to choice paralysis unbalance and a watered down importance of any individual element (should I get my goblin a double hp bonus or double terrain bonus, who cares its the same thing)

not that i care, odo whatever wyou want obviously, just something to consider :)

have a good day
Well, If I want a balanced competition I play an official map with default factions. If I want to have just some crazy fun I want to play a MP-scenario.
That's it.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

What is it with all these defense of the x-unit scenarios?
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I personally love them. I know that the idea is getting old.