The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

matdavhans

Post by matdavhans »

I'm having the same problem as Dale. Proven by the Sword almost seems impossible (unless I am missing something). I keep rushing Deoran towards the criminal, but the darned thieves keep jumping in the way. I always seem to be one turn short.

<edit>

After a few more attempts i was finally able to get to the citadel. My other troops got lucky and killed the thieves by turn 3. I got my injured leader right outside the citadel and let the criminal attack me. I was then able to run past him.

I think that this scenario does need some more turns, seeing how it is impossible to kill the criminal in 5 turns (Deoran being the only unit to get there in time to attack) and you can't get to the citadel unless the criminal moves (which he doesn't always).

-------

On a different note, I wanted to say great job on the campaign. I have only played a few other campaigns, but this one has been my favorite so far. Keep up the good work.
</edit>
aelius

Post by aelius »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll add a couple of turns before the bandits sack Westin. Playing it again, you do have to be pretty lucky to make it.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!
- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Grignr

Post by Grignr »

First off, I'm really enjoying this campaign so far. I especially like the sober and somewhat quasi-archaic flavor of the narration and dialogue, the wider variety of scenarios, the layouts of the maps themselves, and the overall high-quality feel. Keep up the good work!

I've encountered a bug, though: after I die in Pebbles in the Flood, the message box asking me if I want to save my game gives me a whole lot of random code appended to the name of the save file. It looks like the WML for the next scenario somehow got into the field where you type what you want to save the file as-- and it doesn't let me edit the field. Then, if I click "Yes", it gives me an error ("The game could not be saved") and returns me to the same save window. If I click "No", it gives me a Game Over message ("The game is over.").

I'm using Sithrandel's build of Wesnoth 0.9.3, The South Guard version 0.9.0 (on Hard mode, if that makes a difference). If needed, I can snap a .jpeg of the strange save screen.
aelius

Post by aelius »

I'd love to see a screeenshot of that at the end of Pebbles. Also, if you have a save-game from the beginning of the scenario, I'd like to look at that. I've never seen the game do that before!

I'm glad you're enjoying it, and even happier that someone finally decided to be merciful to the bandits! (I think you're seeing the better branch.)

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

I've found another bug. In the 'Messenger' scenario, only the ranger appears, not the knight who is supposed to carry the message. Its not just a case of an invisible unit since he doesn't appear on the small map either. This is with the latest version (downloaded yesterday) and wesnoth 0.9.3.

Thanks
Rothrorn the Wise
aelius

Post by aelius »

Did you load an older saved game of Choice in the Fog? I've changed the unit type for Sir Gerrick, and that might be causing the problem. I don't see anything obviously wrong...

Can you PM me the save file?

- b.
Grignr

Post by Grignr »

Admittedly, when I chose to have mercy on the outlaws I figured I'd end up with both the outlaws /and/ the elves on my side, since that seems to be how these things usually work in other campaigns. ;) The elves then leaving was a surprise and a nice touch.

Here's the save file (from the beginning of the scenario), and the screenshot of the issue itself:
Attachments
Pebbles_in_the_Flood.zip
Save file from the beginning of the Pebbles scenario.
(4 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

8b.The_Tides_of_War.cfg looks like it has no linefeeds, only carriage returns. Not sure how this would cause the behaviour observed by Rothrorn, but try fixing that first (eg. in TextWrangler, change the file type to Unix from Mac).
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Unfortunately, I only have Text Edit to do that sort of thing. Is there a way to do that in Text Edit? Or the terminal? Some sort of global find/replace?

- b.
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

aelius wrote:Did you load an older saved game of Choice in the Fog? I've changed the unit type for Sir Gerrick, and that might be causing the problem. I don't see anything obviously wrong...
Ahh! That would explain it, so I guess I need to start from scratch.

Thanks!
Rothrorn the Wise
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Code: Select all

perl -pi -e 's/\r/\n/g' 8b.The_Tides_of_War.cfg
should do it. Replace the filename by the full path, eg. select the file in the Finder and drag it to the Terminal window to paste the full path.

Text Wrangler is free, it used to be known as BBEdit Lite. See http://www.barebones.com/ or more specifically http://www.barebones.com/support/textwr ... ates.shtml
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Thought I post some feedback after playing through to "Into the Depths". Overall I have enjoyed this campaign, but there are some issues I would like to point out:

* As mentioned before, 4 turns to reach Westin is just not enough, I can't see how that can be done without having quite a lot of luck or as I ended up doing save/load until I got there so I could proceed.

* I'm sorry to say this, but Into the Depths just is extremely boring. This has to do with several factors:
- It's way to big, and with no clue where to go you can easily end up wandering around for 20 turns just to discover that you have ended up in a dead-end and have no choice but to restart the scenario.
- Since most units move so slowly it takes at least 15-20 turns before you get to any sort of action at all. Moving a bunch of units 1 to 2 tiles for 20 turns just isn't fun at all.
- When you finally reach the dwarves they end up clogging up the narrow passages so now I find myself standing there clicking end turn waiting for the possibility to maybe get a unit in there if there will ever be room...

Sorry for the long rant, but I can't stand these maze-like narrow slow moving underground maps (in any campaign) :)
Easuth

Post by Easuth »

Some quick notes on my South Guard runthrough (0.9, Wesnoth 0.9.4, "Hard" level):

--Having the same problem as Grignr in finishing Pebbles. Game crashes.

--It's wonderful that South Guard works at all in the new Wesnoth version; apparently it's not remotely guaranteed. And on such a short campaign, AMLA hardly matters at all. About the only person it would matter with is your leader, Deoran, and Gerrick, who starts mastered, and Deoran and Gerrick are the only two it doesn't work for because they're unique characters. Might be true for Jarek too, but I didn't get him leveled all the way up to find out.

--Many characters in this story are free support ("loyal"), but don't show on screen as having the "loyal" trait, which is confusing when it comes to recalling troops. For example, the peasants that show up in "Proven by the Sword" should list "loyal" as a trait. They're hardly the only ones, though. I'm not sure about the elves you get in Vale of Tears. They don't require support, but you can't recall them later. I'd call them "aloof".

--On "Choice in the Fog" and "Long March", the early finish bonus is less than the maximum per turn bonus you can get for having all the cities. This doesn't seem to be due to an incorrect calculation in the early finish bonus, but rather a different way of calculating the turn bonus when you have all the cities and it's sufficient to support the troops you have. Provides a disincentive to finishing early.

Those last three are minor points, but I thought I'd mention them since you're on version 0.9. Great campaign! :D
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

frame wrote:Thought I post some feedback after playing through to "Into the Depths". Overall I have enjoyed this campaign, but there are some issues I would like to point out:

* As mentioned before, 4 turns to reach Westin is just not enough, I can't see how that can be done without having quite a lot of luck or as I ended up doing save/load until I got there so I could proceed.
I think it was rather easy, just run there with the captain guy and the horseman who's your leader.

3 turns was the amount I needed. And this was on the hardest difficulty.
frame wrote: Sorry for the long rant, but I can't stand these maze-like narrow slow moving underground maps (in any campaign) :)
Neither can I, although I haven't got that far yet. :)
aelius

Post by aelius »

Easuth wrote:Many characters in this story are free support ("loyal"), but don't show on screen as having the "loyal" trait...
Nice catch. That's something that crept in in one of the 0.9.x Wesnoth releases. I'm working on fixing it.
frame wrote:4 turns to reach Westin is just not enough, I can't see how that can be done without having quite a lot of luck...
Funny. I've never had a problem with that. Did you bolt for Westin on the first possible turn? I may put something in the dialogue indicating the urgency with which you have to go. I'm wary of extending the time too much. I want you to have to move!
frame wrote:Into the Depths just is extremely boring.
I whole heartedly agree. I'm just no good at doing underground scenarios, and Into the Depths really looks bad when compared to what Turin's done with the Scepter of Fire and Quartex's incredible UtBS work.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to put a lot of work into getting better at underground scenarios. Any one out there want to take a crack at re-writing Into the Depths?

I'm going to upload a maintenance version tomorrow probably that fixes some of the minor bugs.

- b.