Mage and red mage death frames

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
slightcrazed

Mage and red mage death frames

Post by slightcrazed »

My first attempt at being useful to the Wesnoth community (other than playing the game, of course).

Criticism welcome, as well as any advice.

Enjoy!

slight
Attachments
mage-die-1
mage-die-1
mage-die-1.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
mage-die-2
mage-die-2
mage-die-2.png (1.63 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
Last edited by slightcrazed on July 15th, 2005, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I once beat Drizzt Do'Urden at thumb wrestling.
slightcrazed

Post by slightcrazed »

Red-mage
Attachments
red-mage-die-3
red-mage-die-3
red-mage-die-3.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
red-mage-die-2
red-mage-die-2
red-mage-die-2.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
red-mage-die-1
red-mage-die-1
red-mage-die-1.png (3.15 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

To my untrained eye, the Red Mage die frames look good. But, the Mage ones look odd. More specifically, he looks like he's doing an Obi-Wan Kenobi and disappearing with his robe just falling to the ground. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

The red mage looks okay, except the end. Did he get crushed up into a ball, or was he terribly deformed by some disease? And I agree with turin on the Mage. Make him fall foward instead of backwards, like this:
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
slightcrazed

Post by slightcrazed »

Actually, with the blue mage I was following the death frames of one of the arch-mages, which did the same thing (He seemed to kind of dissappear into his ropes). I had contemplated doing something dramatic (after all, these are mages, can't we embellish their deaths a bit?) like make him burst into flame and then disappear, but I thought that would be over the top.

As for the Red mage, the last frame is supposed to be of him lying on his back, as if he was hit in the front and then fell backward. It was hard to get the perspective right. I assumed that the camera angle is somewhat from above, and not straight on. I can fiddle with it somewhat, but I'm not sure how much better I can make it.

slight
scott

Post by scott »

I think the L1 mage should just die. He's not powerful enough to pull an Obi-Wan. Another question - if he disappears, shouldn't his face and hands disappear on the first frame?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

scott wrote:I think the L1 mage should just die. He's not powerful enough to pull an Obi-Wan. Another question - if he disappears, shouldn't his face and hands disappear on the first frame?
And it looks like the hand is still there in the second frame...

and Jetryl said it'd be good for a unit to have at least 3 to 4 dying frames for ity to look good, BTW.
slightcrazed

Post by slightcrazed »

I'll give these another shot then.... I'll give the mage falling forward a go, and I'll try to refine the last frame of the red mage and see what I come up with.

Any other suggestions before I get started?

slight
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ankka wrote:and Jetryl said it'd be good for a unit to have at least 3 to 4 dying frames for ity to look good, BTW.
YES! It sunk in! Someone heard it!

Anyways, another propagandist message for me to spit out - when a unit dies, his body typically turns in some way (your current images are no exception - he is rotating along one axis, from having his head pointing straight vertically, to straight horizontally).

And when the body turns, surfaces that were not visible are now visible, and vice versa. This means you have to draw new stuff, not just move old stuff around and call it an animation.

Death animations are hard - in fact one of the hardest there are to do, and this is because the whole body moves and turns.
slightcrazed

Post by slightcrazed »

Just out of curiosity, is there any restriction (or preferance) on the type of death animation? I had the idea of making the red mage burst into flames and then disappear, but I don't know if this is too over the top, or is not in line with what is expected.

slight
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

slightcrazed wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there any restriction (or preferance) on the type of death animation? I had the idea of making the red mage burst into flames and then disappear, but I don't know if this is too over the top, or is not in line with what is expected.

slight
Hmm... Strange, actually. That would be good for a fire spirit (in a Mage's Tale), but I'm not sure it would fit a mage. I know: WINR, but still...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

slightcrazed wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there any restriction (or preferance) on the type of death animation? I had the idea of making the red mage burst into flames and then disappear, but I don't know if this is too over the top, or is not in line with what is expected.

slight
Well, if it looks cool, it probably will be accepted. Generally speaking, the higher level unit's death animations should be neater than a lower level unit. So if you want to do something really amazing and spectacular, you may want to start with the higher level unit. On the other hand, from a practical perspective, it is easier to work the other way around. If you do a simple death animation with the low level unit, it should be easier, and gives you a basis for adding more dazzling effects at high level.
slightcrazed

Post by slightcrazed »

A Second attempt.

Reactions please.
Attachments
mage-die-2
mage-die-2
mage-die-2.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
mage-die-1
mage-die-1
mage-die-1.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 5094 times
slightcrazed

Post by slightcrazed »

and...
Attachments
mage-die-4
mage-die-4
mage-die-4.png (2.52 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
mage-die-3
mage-die-3
mage-die-3.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 5089 times
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Very nice!!! :)