A fun concept I am working on (of interest to RPG creators?)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

A fun concept I am working on (of interest to RPG creators?)

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

It isn't anything too difficult to code nor anything "new" (not sure if has been done before in Wesnoth tbh).
But toying with stuff I came up with a cool way to play basically an endless game in a "small map" and without loading scenarios.

What I do is create several small maps (30x15, castles in the images are for holding leader npcs) and create "transitions" between them.

How it works?
Well, there is a variable that stores the "location" or current screen (in my case, called currentzone), and each time one of the hero units moves to transition hexes (hex+radius 1 where name of the zone is), it changes the screen.
-It kills all npc controlled units that cannot recruit, removes all labels, removes all images.
-Loads the corresponding map file, units, images and labels of the new screen.
-Sets the currentzone to the name of the new zone.
-Teleports hero units to the new location depending on the road is.

It is possible to create the illusion of a continuous exploration of an immense, endless area, without dealing with the issues of making big maps.

I felt like like sharing it to see opinions, especially of other rpg creators. ;)
Attachments
concept.png
concept2.png
concept3.png
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on November 5th, 2018, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enclave

Re: A fun concept I am working on (of interest to RPG creators?)

Post by enclave »

looks like you could be the first author of that style rpg :P
PapaSmurfReloaded

enclave wrote: November 5th, 2018, 11:13 pm looks like you could be the first author of that style rpg :P
I might turn these maps into an ARRPGA map Human DM Mode, too lazy to make a storyline and create a campaign.

I can imagine a remake of the Fall of Trent looking awesome using this system. :roll:

:whistle:
PapaSmurfReloaded

Well I have finished a demo, and I uploded it onto the add-on server.
I don't really know if I'll further develop this, maybe in the future.
Xara

Post by Xara »

I have created a 2p-scenario in 1.12 called the Dungeon , which is basically a scenario with the style of the Race to Dimaga Beach that has exploited the similar techniques. I made it so that one can go through a combination of layers in each run. The main technical problem I had was that the WML for all the maps need to be loaded at once at the start of this one scenario, so the volume of the scenario is limited before it should encounter performance issue.
Last edited by Xara on November 8th, 2018, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
PapaSmurfReloaded

Xara wrote: November 8th, 2018, 1:22 am I have created a 2p-scenario in 1.12 called the Dungeon , which is basically a scenario with the style of the Race to Dimaga Beach that has exploited the similar techniques. I made it so that one can go through a combination of layers in each run.
Oh I see, I wasn't familiar with it. :o
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Look like a nice concept. So you always replace the existing map and teleport the units. Your concept is great as it it allows fast game play.
But are those tiles random made or due you use fix patterns?

As far as I can see you use patterns, which is quite understandable.

I use a similar concept in my encounters - I'm checking the terrain, save the location of the hero on the worldmap and load a scenario.
This scenario than selects a random-map based on the terrain (which is mostly streets/grass).

One thing I like to share - save your maps as text and than use a terrain mask like that:

[terrain_mask]
x,y=$randomx,$randomy
mask="border_size=1
usage=map

Gll, Gll, Ur, Gll, Ur, Gll, Gll
Gll, Gll, Ur, Gll, Ur, Gll, Ur
Ur, Gll, Ur, Gll, Gll, Ur, Gll
Gll, Ur, Gll, Uu^Uf, Ur, Gll, Gll
Gll, Gll, Ur, Ur, Gll, Ur, Gll
Gll, Gll, Ur, Gll, Gll, Ur, Gll"

[/terrain_mask]

As far as I've seen that is a nice way to get a higher performance. After all I use more than 80 different terrain masks in my infinite random dungeons and as far as I've seen they are still loading fast. After all it's just text.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
PapaSmurfReloaded

Heindal wrote: November 9th, 2018, 5:27 pm
Spoiler:
Nop I just load a premade, different map with [replace_map]
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Yup, I'm using replace map, too. Try it with a terrain mask, so you can instantly change a map with almost no loading time. I always believed that you've used that technique already ^^. Just play with it and never forget the good looking tutor :eng:, that told you about that feature.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
enclave

Post by enclave »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: November 9th, 2018, 5:59 pm Nop I just load a premade, different map with [replace_map]
yap, Heindal is saying that if you have slow loading time with [replace_map] as it will need to load all the maps in begining of scenario, you could use [terrain mask] instead, where you would have same maps just stored as a text.. (if you open your *.map with text editor and then copy paste it into [terrain_mask] code..). This would have no loading times and no slow speed or any performance issues. IF you have any slow performance with [replace_map] at all.. im not 100% convinced there would be any.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for pointing this out enclave. Now it's rest time.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

It's really fun to test your demo. I played it alone. For a single player it would be better to use 'infinite movement' by restoring the movement when it is zero. So you can highly increase the exploration speed.

I like your approach to map design. You don't use many different terrains, but it still looks very cool.
Good work.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Heindal wrote: June 20th, 2019, 6:54 pm It's really fun to test your demo. I played it alone. For a single player it would be better to use 'infinite movement' by restoring the movement when it is zero. So you can highly increase the exploration speed.

I like your approach to map design. You don't use many different terrains, but it still looks very cool.
Good work.
It is a really basic concept, I am surprised you actually had any fun :lol: , I don't think I'll ever develop it.
Having screen transitions allows for changing the scale of the map (exploring the world vs inside of a city vs inside a house), and one can use a variety of maps which will have no lag issues since they are small.

The infinite movement thing is a great idea actually, given than players are not in battle of course.
PapaSmurfReloaded

I uploaded a new version, I was bored and developed a little more the concept. Perhaps some day I'll make a full add-on out of this. :roll: