Linux 1.12

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PaperWall_

Linux 1.12

Post by PaperWall_ »

Hello i was wondering if there was a way to get battle for wesnoth 1.12 on linux. my friend is using 1.12 and i want to be able to play with him but i cant(he uses windows) can someone please tell me how to get the 1.12 version of battle for wesnoth on my linux ubuntu? Thanks alot!
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Linux 1.12

Post by beetlenaut »

Try the package install link here first. Maybe that will be an older version though.

I suspect that most of us Linux users build the executable from the source code. You can download the source into your /usr/src directory, and use the commands from the page above where it says, "Compiling". You might have to install some extra packages to get this to work, but once your system is properly configured, you can always have the latest version minutes after it's released. I highly recommend learning how to do it this way if you don't already know. If it's the first time you have done this, you will probably run into trouble, so just post back here.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

I have not used them, but here are some instructions you can try:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-wesnot ... rivatives/
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

The Wesnoth 1.12 Debian (Ubuntu is Debian based) source package is already ready.

Rhonda created it some days ago.
The process from the creation to the deployment in the ubuntu backports repository usually takes some days.
I can confirm that it still has not arrived in the package pool yet.

You can still build the package or just a working binary yourself.
The procedure is comparatively straight forward on Debian/Ubuntu systems.
PaperWall_

Post by PaperWall_ »

ok guys thanks for your help. I've never built my own from the source yet but im sure with some help and the right people i can get one running. Thanks for helping me! You guys are great!
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Are the instructions on this site actually correct? I was under the impression that this would produce an unoptimized "-O0" build which would run quite badly. See a different thread: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... th#p572483

Maybe we should treat this bug in the cmake script and make it do a release build by default.
PaperWall_

Post by PaperWall_ »

hey guys can you tell me how to get 1.12 by making it myself? or can oyu put it on the download page? thanks
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

PaperWall_ wrote:or can oyu put it on the download page?
It is on the download page. What you are looking for is the "source code."
iceiceice wrote:Maybe we should treat this bug in the cmake script and make it do a release build by default.
I think we definitely should. It's a bit much to expect most users to know how to choose a release option, but developers should know how to change options if they need to.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

beetlenaut wrote:
iceiceice wrote:Maybe we should treat this bug in the cmake script and make it do a release build by default.
I think we definitely should. It's a bit much to expect most users to know how to choose a release option, but developers should know how to change options if they need to.
That seems like a good idea.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Ok, I think someone should make a bug report about it then. I would fix it myself but I don't know the cmake language.
PaperWall_

Post by PaperWall_ »

so i know im looking for the source for 1.12 and its on the download page... could i have a link for the instruction on how to compile it and make it work as a game. Thanks for tolerating my noobiness! XD
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Okay, the official page is here, but since you said you are on Ubuntu here is a simplified version which is basically what I would suggest:
  • Download the source code and extract it. Then navigate your terminal to the place where you extracted it.
  • Execute the following commands to get the wesnoth 1.12 library dependencies:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get build-dep wesnoth
    sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev

• Try to compile the source code using scons. You just have to type

scons

If you don't have scons, you might need to do

sudo apt-get install scons

first.
  • Launch the game by typing "wesnoth" or "./wesnoth"
If that doesn't work then I would look at the error messages and try to corroborate it with the official instructions page.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

PaperWall_ wrote:so i know im looking for the source for 1.12 and its on the download page... could i have a link for the instruction on how to compile it and make it work as a game. Thanks for tolerating my noobiness! XD
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesnothBinariesLinux#Compiling
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

iceiceice wrote:Okay, the official page is here, but since you said you are on Ubuntu here is a simplified version which is basically what I would suggest:
  • Download the source code and extract it. Then navigate your terminal to the place where you extracted it.
  • Execute the following commands to get the wesnoth 1.12 library dependencies:

sudo apt-get build-dep wesnoth
    sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev

• Try to compile the source code using scons. You just have to type

scons

If you don't have scons, you might need to do

sudo apt-get install scons

first.
  • Launch the game by typing "wesnoth" or "./wesnoth"
If that doesn't work then I would look at the error messages and try to corroborate it with the official instructions page.
If you are very new to using the terminal, I will give some extra instructions:
"Download the source code and extract it. Then navigate your terminal to the place where you extracted it."
First part is easy, download the source and extract it. Next, open up the terminal, type cd and a space, then drag the extracted wesnoth source folder into the terminal window and hit enter. Now the commands you type will affect the wesnoth source folder.

"Launch the game by typing "wesnoth" or "./wesnoth" "

./wesnoth will only work once you have navigated to the wesnoth folder, after it has been compiled by scons, as I have mentioned above.

Good Luck! Building is easy once you've done it a couple of times! :geek:
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

I have ubuntu too and still now binary are not released here. I compiled myself wesnoth 1.12 until the official binary package will be relased.
Still now the best thing to do is to build it yourself.
A lot of players still playing in the old 1.10 version, so for the moment I will suggest to keep both. I have made a copy of wesnoth 1.10 binaries in my home and I compiled 1.12 in my home too... and now with a single bash script I can run 1.10, 1.12 or trackplacer :D
I suggest to compile wesnoth using scons

To devs:
how can I forse scons to use -m32 flag? I wanted to try to build also the 32bit version :whistle: