Scenery over walker but under flier

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
beetlenaut
Developer

Scenery over walker but under flier

Post by beetlenaut »

Is it possible to have a piece of scenery or item that covers a normal unit in its hex, but appears below a flying unit in the same hex? Are flying units drawn above layer zero?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
cephalo

Re: Scenery over walker but under flier

Post by cephalo »

I bet you could design a flyer that would fly over such terrain, but I would be surprised if existing flyers were drawn on a different layer than other units.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I was going to use a bat, but a modified bat would work fine. I just can't think of how to do it.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

beetlenaut wrote:Is it possible to have a piece of scenery or item that covers a normal unit in its hex, but appears below a flying unit in the same hex?
Well, I don't think this is the best idea because this one fires after a unit moves to the hex, but how about:
- spawning a moveto event with [filter] type=something Bat, then remove and place the item/scenery-image (depending on the unit) as "image=" and "halo=" with [if] + [have_unit] + [else] tags... If the bat is on the hex, the x,y is "image=", and for the other units, showing the image as "halo="...

There may be a hint for a better idea on this Alarantalara's thread: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 01#p493881

If I misunderstand your question, sorry...
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Something like that may work. I don't think halo is correct because halo images don't change according to day/night rules, but I think I could change the terrain layer depending on what was on it. It wouldn't be pretty during the unit's move, but it would work otherwise. It may be a bear to code, but Alarantalara's thread should help with that.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Terrrain layers are static, you can't change them based on the presence of units.
You could add an event to change the terrain depending on the unit on it where the two terrains are identical other than the layer of the image.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

That's kind of what I figured would be involved. Thanks.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide