AI changes on Windows

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jieverson

AI changes on Windows

Post by jieverson »

Have anyone worked with Wesnorth on Windows?
I am having problems to try AI modifications.

First: I am using this example of how to execute the game from the terminal:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38344

I am trying to execute the following line on terminal:

Code: Select all

wesnoth -m --controller 1:ai --controller 2:ai --parm 1:fog:no --parm 2:fog:no --parm 1:gold:100 --parm 2:gold:100 --parm 1:village_gold:2 --parm 2:village_gold:2 --ai-config 1:jieverson.cfg --ai-config 2:jieverson.cfg --side 1:Northerners --side 2:Rebels --nogui
If I remove the "--nogui" it seems to work allright, but with the "--nogui" it is not showing on terminal who have winned the game.
I know that on Windows the data is writed on the file "stdout.txt" and not on terminal. But, it just write on the file if I run the terminal as administrator.

Second: Another problem is that I have changed the AI for my custom AI: "jieverson.cfg", but it is not working.
My custom file is at "C:\Users\Jiéverson\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.11\data\add-ons\AI-demos\ais\jieverson.cfg"

The file is current just a copy and paste of the "ai_grunt-rush-Freelands-S1", but it don't seems to work.
The result is always "winner: 1 (using ai_default_rca)" or "winner: 2 (using ai_default_rca)".

I tried using the Fred ai:

Code: Select all

wesnoth -m --controller 1:ai --controller 2:ai --parm 1:fog:no --parm 2:fog:no --parm 1:gold:100 --parm 2:gold:150 --parm 1:village_gold:2 --parm 2:village_gold:2 --ai-config 1:~add-ons/AI-demos/ais/ai_grunt-rush-Freelands-S1.cfg --side 1:Northerners --side 2:Rebels --nogui
But, the result still say that the winner have used the "ai_default_rca".
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: AI changes on Windows

Post by Iris »

jieverson wrote:I know that on Windows the data is writed on the file "stdout.txt" and not on terminal. But, it just write on the file if I run the terminal as administrator.
There is a whole topic dedicated to this particular point in Technical Support.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

jieverson wrote:Have anyone worked with Wesnorth on Windows?
Basically: no. Almost all development takes place on *nix machines, which generally means that the whole project doesn't work too well on other systems, including, but not limited to, the main executable, wesnothd, python tools, perl tools etc.
I also never used wesnoth from command line (not on windows or at all), so I would expect bugs. Best you can do is copy the exact command from mattsc (who worked most with it lately and reported a number of bugs, but all on MacOS, most of them system independent however) and hope that it works.
Needing to be administrator is an acceptable restriction however.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Anonymissimus wrote:Needing to be administrator is an acceptable restriction however.
I hope you meant ‘unacceptable’.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
jieverson

Post by jieverson »

shadowmaster wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:Needing to be administrator is an acceptable restriction however.
I hope you meant ‘unacceptable’.
Yes! It's unacceptable. I am a windows user (I am a .NET developer and a hardcore gamer when I am not working, so windows is the only option).
But thanks to you guys, I have solved the problem.

I just found "stderr.txt" on my Virtual Store (C:\Users\<My User>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle of Wesnoth), and then have deleted it.
After deleting the file, the original (on c:\Program Files (x86)\Battle of Wesnoth) start to be updated.

Another detail was that, to execute a custon AI (like mine, Ron or Fred) I had to copy the folder "AI-demos" from "My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth\data\add-ons" to "C:\Users\<My User>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle of Wesnoth\userdata\data\add-ons".

I realized the Fred Rush is biiiiiig slow. So, I will do my experiments based on Ron Rush.

Thanks to all.... if I have more problems or do another discovery, I will contact u all :eng:
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

jieverson wrote:I realized the Fred Rush is biiiiiig slow. So, I will do my experiments based on Ron Rush.
Yes, Fred is not in a good shape at the moment. If you look at my recent commits, they are all geared toward speeding things up. Of course, one of the reasons why I want to speed things up is so that I can add more evaluations, meaning Fred will always be slower than Ron - but hopefully not this much slower.

I'm glad to hear that you got your problems solved.
jieverson

Post by jieverson »

Maybe should pin my solution to this topic:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23894
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

jieverson wrote:Another detail was that, to execute a custon AI (like mine, Ron or Fred) I had to copy the folder "AI-demos" from "My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth\data\add-ons" to "C:\Users\<My User>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle of Wesnoth\userdata\data\add-ons".
I don’t use Windows, but if my memory serves the problem you are encountering here is that you are not passing a few additional command line parameters to make sure Wesnoth uses ...\My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth as the user preferences/data directory instead of the built-in fallback of <wherever Wesnoth.exe is located>\userdata. You may be able to determine what those parameters are by looking at the properties of the Start Menu or desktop shortcut originally created by the Wesnoth installer — then you could create a .cmd/.bat file for easier command line invocation in the future.
jieverson

Post by jieverson »

Nice, I will try it at night!
jieverson

Post by jieverson »

shadowmaster wrote:
jieverson wrote:Another detail was that, to execute a custon AI (like mine, Ron or Fred) I had to copy the folder "AI-demos" from "My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth\data\add-ons" to "C:\Users\<My User>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle of Wesnoth\userdata\data\add-ons".
I don’t use Windows, but if my memory serves the problem you are encountering here is that you are not passing a few additional command line parameters to make sure Wesnoth uses ...\My Documents\My Games\Wesnoth as the user preferences/data directory instead of the built-in fallback of <wherever Wesnoth.exe is located>\userdata. You may be able to determine what those parameters are by looking at the properties of the Start Menu or desktop shortcut originally created by the Wesnoth installer — then you could create a .cmd/.bat file for easier command line invocation in the future.
Ty shadowmaster! It have worked nice =]

The param is "--config-dir Wesnoth1.11"

Are there a way to execute the game 500 times to compare the different AIs?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Check out the files in utils/ai_test (included in source distribution but not in all (any?) binary packages).
Alternatively, SeattleDad created a modification of the above to deal with the commandline bugs in 1.10. You can find it in the AI-demos add-on under ml_utils.