Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Re: water animation

Post by EELuminatus »

Pretty much liking the idea, there are several campaigns which could use them, but there might be issues with "blood" - Wesnoth has to remain playable for the young ones, too : might be strange, but bones should be ok, whereas something clearly identifiable as blood is not, as far as I know. Some darker, tainted water might however do the job, as well, even look better than blood-red water.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

EELuminatus wrote:Pretty much liking the idea, there are several campaigns which could use them, but there might be issues with "blood" - Wesnoth has to remain playable for the young ones, too : might be strange, but bones should be ok, whereas something clearly identifiable as blood is not, as far as I know. Some darker, tainted water might however do the job, as well, even look better than blood-red water.

No, censorship of that is just [censored]. It will not be rejected on grounds of appropriateness.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Plus, in pixel art, at least to me, bones are a bit more disturbing than blood.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I don't find anything disturbing, at least on Wesnoth's sprite scale. (but I can't think of anything that I'd consider disturbing...)
But really, I also would looooove to see all different sorts of water!
Check out my sprites!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Zarel wrote:Plus, in pixel art, at least to me, bones are a bit more disturbing than blood.
Reminds me, in China MagicTheGathering allegedly had to change the art of all their cards that depicted skeletons, to slightly less skeletonish - is that some cultural thing?
em3

Post by em3 »

Blarumyrran wrote:Reminds me, in China MagicTheGathering allegedly had to change the art of all their cards that depicted skeletons, to slightly less skeletonish - is that some cultural thing?
I've heard the same case was with World of Warcraft...

Anyway.. I can't imagine a CG sea of blood to be disturbing in any way. Unless some naughty bits would flow in it... :hmm:
Last edited by em3 on February 26th, 2010, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ride on shooting star
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Blarumyrran wrote:Reminds me, in China MagicTheGathering allegedly had to change the art of all their cards that depicted skeletons, to slightly less skeletonish - is that some cultural thing?
It's half-cultural, half-the-Commies-are-idiots.

There are superstitious people who are afraid of skeletons, but as people have more exposure to Western culture, it's not that common for it to actually matter. They only do it because the government likes to be like "Remember, we exist!"
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Outstanding animated water effect!

How is it coming Boucman?

In regards to the water-to-land transitions, i believe we can make something more flexible and future-proof.

Currently the wave-on-the edge-of-the-shore transitions rhyging5 did have the grass built into them. But if we took the grass and the beach out, and just had the fading water edge and wave we could layer that over any other reasonably similar terrain. This would save labor, and radically reduce the number of pngs needed.
order.jpg
order.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
See how we can make different terrains work by switching the lower transition to (for instance) a dirt transition?

The other thing that needs to be noted is the width of the land part of the transition. Water can be, and often is only 1 hex wide. If we fill the whole thing up with beach transitions, there's no room left for enough water to make it look like an actual water tile.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

as stated in another thread, I have it working with what was provided to me... but there are to much missing for me to actually commit...

having the animation in a separate layer is doable and is indeed more sane from a reusability point of view. if you could provide me with such a tile+animation, (even if it's only in one direction) I could start integrating it in the engine...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Boucman wrote:if you could provide me with such a tile+animation, (even if it's only in one direction) I could start integrating it in the engine...
Here. It's a quick hack, but should do the job. it would be probably be easier and better to do this from the original layered files, so i didn't try to hard.

EDIT:
Also, if i understand properly, he was asking that each animated hex would animate out of sync, i.e. hex 1,1 might be on frame 2 while hex 2,2 was on frame 7... did you get that to work?
Attachments
grass-to-water-nw-n PNGS chopped.zip
(118.41 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I believe non-synchronized animations were recently implemented.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I think we droped the idea of synchronizing beaches at some point... it's very tricky, if not impossible to do with macroes.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Beaches don't need to be synchronized; the waves crash out of sync in the real world, even on a straight beach.

So as long as all the tiles animate out of sync, we'll look good.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

then we're good

animations are randomized in mainline
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I'm just wondering-- :)
Does anyone have any idea when this might be included into mainline?
(sorry if shouldn't be asking this...)