3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.7.0 [Complete]

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MrEPIC

Re: MP Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.4.3) for 1.6 and 1.8

Post by MrEPIC »

Tesafilmchen wrote:seems we got ourselves a problem,
i updated the addon, then we finished beating up the trolls and undead. Next scenario, all recall lists are gone. I dont wanna start from the beginning so i could you give us the old addon (before removing tax etc) or is there another way of fixing this recall-list thing?
I'm sorry that this has happened to you, but I am uncertain as to what could have caused this problem. I just tested the version that is on the add-ons server, and the recall list is kept each scenario. Do the automatically-recalled units get recalled? (the footpad, elvish scout, elder wose, trapper, red mage).
I don't have a backup of the version before I made this update, but if you could upload a save game then I may be able to help solve this problem.
3 player co-op campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.6.19)
1v1 campaign: Tug of War (v0.4.0)
Tesafilmchen

Post by Tesafilmchen »

here are the saves
Attachments
after.gz
(99.36 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
before.gz
(158.74 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

Here's the fixed save. Just kill the troll leader and you should advance to the next scenario with your recall list restored.
Spoiler:
Attachments
fixed.gz
(166.22 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
MrEPIC

Re: MP Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.5.0) [Completed!]

Post by MrEPIC »

Finally, after several months, I have uploaded the final scenario to this campaign. Have fun, report issues, and of course I am still open to suggestions! In particular, I am wondering if shop prices should increase over time, because at the moment it may be too easy to make many "super" units. Furthermore, I plan on adding a speaking-only conclusion and credits scenario in the next update, which you can expect either tomorrow if I have time or next weekend.
sneef

Post by sneef »

Hello,

I am getting a crash -- first screen, the lieutenant enters the leaders-only tent and orders up an "Imbue my sword..." leads to microsoft C++ visual C runtime library - runtime error! and Wesnoth exits.

1.7.14-1.8beta7
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

sneef wrote:Hello,

I am getting a crash -- first screen, the lieutenant enters the leaders-only tent and orders up an "Imbue my sword..." leads to microsoft C++ visual C runtime library - runtime error! and Wesnoth exits.

1.7.14-1.8beta7
Thanks for reporting this, I haven't tested it on 1.8 beta 7 yet, the latest 1.8 cycle released I have tested this on was beta 4, so I'll download it now and test it out. I suggest that you play it on 1.6, for I am very certain that the campaign works. Also, the version on the 1.6 add-ons server is several weeks ahead of the one on the 1.8 server and you will most likely find people to play with you if you play on 1.6.

EDIT: I've just uploaded 1.5.1 for both 1.6 and 1.8. I directly ported the code from 1.6 to 1.8 (mostly text markup changes) and removed the code that was most likely causing the crash. It should work now (at least it does for me), so please download and try it out. Then, don't forget to tell me what you think of it and any suggestions you have. :)
ozean

Re: (1.6, 1.8) 3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.5.1 [Complete]

Post by ozean »

I have just started a new game with a friend on the latest beta (1.7.14/1.8b7) and the upgrades that we bought in the start screen are gone in the first scenario. The characters seem to default to the basic unit type’s attribute (i.e. HP for a standard lvl2 stalwart, not for the custom chars). Since we never played this add-on before, I do not know if this is expected behaviour (but it felt strange). Do you need a save game or anything?

(We both upgraded to the latest version of the add-on before playing.)

Edit:

In addition, the less than three players option does not work, the game aborts on load if one slot is set to empty…
MrEPIC

Re: (1.6, 1.8) 3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.5.1 [Complete]

Post by MrEPIC »

ozean wrote:I have just started a new game with a friend on the latest beta (1.7.14/1.8b7) and the upgrades that we bought in the start screen are gone in the first scenario. The characters seem to default to the basic unit type’s attribute (i.e. HP for a standard lvl2 stalwart, not for the custom chars). Since we never played this add-on before, I do not know if this is expected behaviour (but it felt strange). Do you need a save game or anything?

(We both upgraded to the latest version of the add-on before playing.)

Edit:

In addition, the less than three players option does not work, the game aborts on load if one slot is set to empty…
I'm very sorry that you and your friends have experienced these problems, ozean, and I am grateful to you for the patience that you have shown to me in dealing with my mistakes. I hadn't sufficiently checked through my code and was hasty to get a new version uploaded to the 1.8 server, so I didn't notice that many things in the old code did not work on the updated engine, including many things not mentioned in the stickied topic in the WML workshop. But these details are tedious, and it should suffice for me to say that the reported problems have been fixed in 1.5.2, which I just uploaded to the add-ons server.
Note: Further updates and new features will be restricted to the 1.8 development branch, but if there are any bugs (I'm sure there are) in the 1.6 branch, post in this forum or send me a PM and I'll see what I can do about them.
revenant

Re: (1.6, 1.8) 3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.6.1 [Complete]

Post by revenant »

I just downloaded the 1.6.1 version and I like the WML but when I got to lvl 2 Attack_on_Carcyn, I couldn't recruit any units. Do I have to do something specific?
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

revenant wrote:I just downloaded the 1.6.1 version and I like the WML but when I got to lvl 2 Attack_on_Carcyn, I couldn't recruit any units. Do I have to do something specific?
Well to recruit in the second scenario you have to move to one of the nearby keeps. They are shown by the tent encampment tiles, and there are 2 to the north and 1 in the south. Once you get there you should be able to recruit like you would in a regular game. This has certainly never happened to me and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to recruit anyone if you move to a keep. If you still have trouble you can send me a save file and I'll take a look.
anuviel

Post by anuviel »

Hello. Awesome campaign. I am playing alone with all three slots filled in. All item purchasing,, recruiting and such works nicely and without issues. In the Attack on Carcyn scenario, I killed initial leaders and got the units I wanted promoted into leaders.

For example - loyalists.

I killed the initial leader by running into the orcs and my Master at Arms got promoted into leadership position. I successfully recruited with him and I was able to equip him without an issue in the shops.

When I killed the last leader and went onto the next scenario, upon scenario starting I had all three original leaders, my Man at Arms disappeared and was replaced by the original leader.

I am playing on the latest development version. I can post a save file if it is necessary.

Thanks
anuviel

Post by anuviel »

Went on to play with single player and the other 2 leaders suddenly appeared in 3rd scenario.

Edit:

The colors of the teams also revert back to the original colors even though I chose different ones.

The team names also revert to thwp1, thwp2 and thwp3 rather then to stay named as they were in first to scenarios.

Experience of the leaders is reverted back to 0/5000 - not sure if it was intended to be like that or not.
sneef

Post by sneef »

Something else perhaps is that the dwarf leader has lost his multiple ranged attack upgrades at start of The Grey Swamp scenario.
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

Anuviel:
Based on my testing, all of your problems are related to loading a savegame. If you reload in 1.8, in the next scenario the leaders will be reverted and the recall list will be duplicated starting with the 4th scenario, the grey river. Besides this, even Thrion is brought back, although I'm sure that he was removed from the recall list at the start of the 3rd scenario! These issues are causing me some major headaches, since I haven't been able to discover what in the code could cause this behavior. I would be very grateful to anyone who is able to help me resolve the source of all of these problems.

Sneef:
Could you post some more details, such as a save before and after you noticed this bug? I'd like to know if only the dwarf leader's ranged attacks are affected, or if anything else is as well. Thanks!
Last edited by MrEPIC on March 27th, 2010, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
anuviel

Post by anuviel »

Hi. Yes, I believe it has something to do with the saves as well but something else might be amiss as well.

I uploaded two save games.

Please note that all of the leaders in save 01 are not the original leaders but are other units who got promoted to leadership position after the original leaders died. Some are forth or fifth down the line as I had to kill a couple of leaders to get the units I wanted for leaders to get promoted.

Two leaders, elf and dwarf are on the 1st level and only the third leader has been leveled up - Men at Arms - that leader is the only one for whom I purchased multiple upgrades. I noticed that make me a Great Swordsman upgrade does nothing for Men at Arms as well as the Holy Sword upgrade. To get his attack to be arcane I had to buy an amulet for him after buying the holy sword, the attack did not become magical, like it becomes for the original leader, but just arcane.

Please note that I also killed the mage, Sellyn, as he took leadership position before the Man at Arms but I did not like him for a leader.

In save 02 (third scenario) - My new leaders disappear and are replaced by the Original leaders at their default level - The mage Sellyn is however NOT recalled and he is not on a recall list while the rest of regular units who survived scenario 01 are.

I do not know much about Wesnoth code however when I check the scenario files I see that you use thwp1 for a save id - seeing as player names revert to that - it might have something to do.

If I think of anything else I will post.

Thanks
Attachments
02.zip
(80.65 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
01.zip
(116.03 KiB) Downloaded 483 times