Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: thespaceinvader's portraits - Wose

Post by ancestral »

My only suggestion is trees of that size have got be old. As you work on it, do whatever you can to make him seem old (maybe extra "wrinkles" in the bark) yet verdant and vibrant with life.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Spi

Post by Spi »

Now this is just a non-artist opinion, but I want to suggest certain things nonetheless...
The moss, I think is too much on the pale blue side, insomuch as to make it look like rot or mycelium. I'd suggest making it more staurated and greener, wouldn't it add more texture and depth to the bark texture?
I simply love the face; the concept is great, the eyebrows are great, and what a nose! :) but when my eyes start to wander down on the trunk I feel something is missing: don't oaks have really think bark? It would tend to be slightly darker from what I remember but that is entirely up to you, as I would be in no condition to even try th drawing myself...
Just a couple of suggestions passing by, nothing more.
Good luck with the drawing! (it looks tough)
Spi
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

I like the new left arm on the last version.

May I suggest the use of fern and moss as eyebrows, beard or just as part of the texture for the bark?

Greetings, Fabi
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Update: texturing preliminarily finished on the wood, beginning on the canopy (though I need to perfect the technique there.)

It's not intended to be moss, it's intended to be lichen, which comes in a wide variety of colours, including a type which commonly grows on oak bark which is a desaturated greenish/bluish grey...
Attachments
wose.png
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Both the lichen and the bark look awesome :D I take it you're going to define the canopy a bit more from where you've already started it? (is that comprehensible?)
For the dark gods!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Yeah - the canopy needs some serious finesse and reference work - it'll be a relatively long process I fear.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Oh, definitely. I wouldn't be up to colouring that just for the fun of it.
For the dark gods!
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

One little niggle; his 'beard' hangs perpendicular to the rest of his leaves. I think it would be better if you either made the beard of something that would hang like that - creepers, moss, cobwebs with leaves in, or something, or if you changed the beard's layering so that it is in the same plane as the rest of his canopy.

kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Wow, the texture really improved this guy a lot!

And his right hand stands out nicely against the trunk colour-wise, unfortunately the other one (the fist) fuses with the shoulder/arm optically because of the colour as well as the placement (evil tangent between the branch and the upper edge of the knuckles...).
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Girgistian wrote:Both the lichen and the bark look awesome :D I take it you're going to define the canopy a bit more from where you've already started it? (is that comprehensible?)
Agreed, the bark and lichen textures are fantastic. Which is only going to make doing the canopy harder, given the standard it now has to reach. :o
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Adri42

Post by Adri42 »

You Artists contribute so many great ideas about the nature of the creatures of wesnoth! Please, If you have the time, contribute them to the Writer's forum! :)

And the bark makes the wose almost look like a real tree (others have mentioned that already, right? I agree with them :D )

EDIT: Grammar correction
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

NEW!

Explorer portrait sketch. Go to town, people, I'm reasonably open to any suggestions at this stage, except about the facial hair, which WILL NOT change. I'd be particularly interested in improving the look of his pack, and adding some more survivalist type gear around the place - he currently has a compass around his neck, and a map-case (or possibly telescope - something long and cylindrical) on his strap. A mess tin attached to the side of his pack, and a shovel by his bed roll.
Attachments
explorer.png
explorer.png (114.28 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Flint and tinder box? Lantern?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

Bulkruka (i have no idea what that is called in english).
http://www.faltjagare.se/images/utrustn ... flaska.jpg
The lid seals it tight so it was used both for carrying water and for boiling food.
As for the pack itself what material is it going to be made of?
Most old army packs i have seen are made of cowhide, that looks pretty good.
http://www.5-preussische-brigade.de/Tor ... nister.htm
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Rope ! Lucky charms ! Laundry set to dry on his backpack ! Ham ! And a short knife for his meals. :mrgreen:

Beforehand, I think you should work some more on his anatomy : his left profile shows the start of a belly, yet the belt and compass seem to be resting on a young man's flat chest. For such a character, who will likely be covered in gear, drawing anatomical lines (think of a mesh) that follow the curve of his belly, arms and shoulders will help a lot !

There's also something that bothers me with his face : his eyes give him a very juvenile expression, quite the contrast with his craggy chin and beard. Maybe I'm being mislead by the thin eyebrows ?
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !