SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.9!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

voris

SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.9!

Post by voris »

Welcome to the new SurvivalXtreme thread!
If you need to find something in the old thread:
Latest news:

Version 2.17.9 is released
Features added in 2.17.1 - 2.17.9:
Version 2.17.0 is released:
And, of course, the complete list of 2.15.0 changes:
That's about all for now. I also cleaned up the grammar in a few places and polished the intro screens a little bit. I'm going to keep working on porting the rest of my SXVE changes to the shop system and homogenizing the shop systems between SXGE and SX. Oh, typing out all those abbreviations reminds me that I also changed all the SX scenario titles to be "SX <foo>" where <foo> is the rest of the name. That way you can actually read the entire titles in the list.
Last edited by voris on May 30th, 2009, 10:34 am, edited 10 times in total.
MCP

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.14.0!

Post by MCP »

Keep up the good work! You, Mabuse, and -stf- are pushing us into the future: Wesnoth 1.6 and beyond
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Excellent. Sounds like good work is coming our way! Thanks for keeping the old SX maps alive.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

well, im of course also happy :D
i think i dont need to mention that,
but i do it nevertheless :lol2:

gj
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Aemo

Post by Aemo »

First of all, I absolutely love this mod! :D Big thanks to the devs!

Now, not sure if this's the right place to put bug-reports but I didn't find any thread that seemed more suited.. :hmm:

The lichs' drain ability on the melee attack seems to have vanished in the version currently on the add-on server, is this WAI or a bug?

I'm using SX + SX addon.

Thanks
/Aemo
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Aemo wrote: The lichs' drain ability on the melee attack seems to have vanished in the version currently on the add-on server, is this WAI or a bug?
I'm using SX + SX addon.
For the ADDON its WAI.
Drain (and absorb) was completey removed for all PlayerChars. Regardless of the Era you are using. (it will be removed in-game)

There are also other "forbidden" specials like plague (and similar), stone. These two mainly because it is rather annoying havin' weakest units spawned (that just block hexes) everytime you kill something, or having stoned units that obstruct the map

Drain was removed for all Players since its an OP (overpowered) special that seriously affect and destroy gameplay. Sure it can be handled somehow by mapdesign (for example placing undeads only as enemies), but why not simply get rid of it anyway, if its just annyoingly OP in most cases.
And its also not really needed, the lich and also the bat stay useful for what they are (a very powerful ranged unit and a very agile, flying unit with 50% pos. armor at start), and all addon maps can (and should) be beaten without drain.

for enemies it is kept of course.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
voris

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.15.1!

Post by voris »

I posted a minor bugfix today. See the first post for details.
voris

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.15.1!

Post by voris »

Bigger bugfix this time. Seems SXGE Mythos has a problem. I'm debugging it now. I left it in a quarantine folder so if someone else notices what is going on, let me know here. :)
Golbeeze

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.15.2!

Post by Golbeeze »

Mythos uses EoM, so odds are good it has to do with the era. I don't know if EoM has come out for 1.6 (i really haven't been able to play much wesnoth for a long time now) but if it has you may need to check some/all unit IDs.

voris

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.16.0!

Post by voris »

Ok, after running through a few minor bugfix releases yesterday, I've released 2.16.0 because I'm pretty confident after some playtesting that all problems are solved.

The SXGE Mythos scenario was causing problems because of its dependency on the Era of Myths and the many changes to that era I hadn't accounted for. I went through it line by line and fixed all unit name changes, removed units that no longer exist, and changed the inclusion paths. It now works like a charm. Since it's only one scenario that needs that era and the description warns you of the need, I'm hesitant to make the entire SurvivalXtreme addon dependent on it. I'm open to feedback on that point. :)

SX Battle has been changed in small ways. The center is no longer open at the beginning so you can't rush through the center in the first several turns. The bosses also no longer die just because the hero in that quadrant died. The other idea I had was to get rid of that boss's chest along with the boss. Basically I just thought it was weak to get a free chest because that hero died. I'm open to making the chest go away with the boss rather than making the boss stick around if people think it slows down the game too much the way it is now.

Finally, I added some extra options to the Enhancements section of the shop to let you buy up damage and hitpoints in larger chunks so it doesn't take quite so many clicks to get what you want when you have a lot of money to spend.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Just in case you didn't know, SXGE Extended is dependent on the Extended Era. I guess that didn't cause problems or you'd have mentioned it? I don't know how many SX maps depend on non-default eras, but if there are enough you could make a non-default SX add-on. Or just make sure there are easy warnings for the maps that aren't default eras. I know I left warnings in the descriptions, but I don't know how many people read them. Also, I named them closely after the era (Extended and Mythos :lol2: pretty obvious) in the hopes that people would notice it.

EDIT: Also, the 4 maps i made using mercs could use some balancing with the stationary guards. I never had a chance to fix them up. A good deal of them are too strong.

voris

Post by voris »

Golbeeze wrote:Just in case you didn't know, SXGE Extended is dependent on the Extended Era. I guess that didn't cause problems or you'd have mentioned it?
Mythos didn't cause problems either until I'd downloaded the Mythos era and then only because there were so many large changes to it that your old hooks no longer worked correctly. It was only because others alerted me that I noticed about EoM since I just hadn't gotten around to downloading it for 1.6 yet.

So, it's possible once EE ever gets published that a problem may arise, but it's not out yet and no problems have arisen with it not released yet.
Golbeeze wrote:I don't know how many SX maps depend on non-default eras, but if there are enough you could make a non-default SX add-on. Or just make sure there are easy warnings for the maps that aren't default eras. I know I left warnings in the descriptions, but I don't know how many people read them. Also, I named them closely after the era (Extended and Mythos :lol2: pretty obvious) in the hopes that people would notice it.
Yeah, I kind of forgot how much yours all used outside addons. I think I will ultimately just bundle them up as a dependent era like you say. But, for now, I've got Merc, BEEM (closest thing to EE out there I can find for 1.6), and Myths all loaded and no errors so I'm going to leave well enough alone as I work on modularizing the shop some more and turning *it* into a core dependency addon of its own. :)
Golbeeze wrote:EDIT: Also, the 4 maps i made using mercs could use some balancing with the stationary guards. I never had a chance to fix them up. A good deal of them are too strong.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll play around with that soon.
voris

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.16.1!

Post by voris »

Very minor update. I created the snowblind ability which is just like ambush but for frozen terrains. Yeti has been replaced with SX Yeti and has this ability.
voris

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.0!

Post by voris »

Version 2.17.0 is released

Short summary in first post: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 32#p349932

Longer summary here:

There is now a warning every time someone steps on a shop. Even though movement updates on the display for everyone right away most of the time, sometimes it seems like a slower computer or laggy connection can make it wait to update movement until after the unit has left the shop still. This warning will show up no matter what so you'll always know when someone's on a shop and it even warns that shopping might take awhile if they have 500 gold or more. Thanks -stf- for that idea!

The enhancements screen now has more options for bulk purchases which means even fewer clicks to get what you want later in the game when you've built up a lot of money to spend. It's also offering discounts the more you buy at once. These bulk purchases (and discounts) are offered for ranged damage/strikes, melee damage/strikes, and hitpoints only. The both damage/strikes and movement options don't offer bulk purchases at all. For the both, it just isn't the sort of thing you usually need more than a couple of to tweak something like a net. For the movement, this is taking away the bulk movement buy that used to be there but that's because I didn't want to do all the coding to tally up the cost for a bulk buy now that it increments the cost for each movement you buy.

Which brings me to: movement now increases in cost for each movement you buy. Even on Xtreme mode, it actually starts out cheap which gives you a slight early game advantage. By the time you get above 10 movement, however, it gets increasingly prohibitive to buy more movement. On Xtreme I think it is at 14 movement that you hit the point where you will have spent more in total on movement than you would have under the old straight 30 gold/move system. This will probably get tweaked based on feedback just like the terrain and other increasing cost items will.

Speaking of terrain, I upped the starting costs for every difficulty but easy. If you're playing easy, it should not be difficult to buy all terrains down to one move eventually. On Xtreme, depending on the type of leader you're playing, this is much less likely now. It might still be too cheap but I didn't want to make it too bad on my first tweak. As always: feedback welcome. :)

Back to the enhancements screen, I added options to toggle the visibility of the melee, ranged, and both options. The default setting is to show melee and ranged but hide the both. Your preferences stick between visits and are tracked for each player.

Weapons options have images which should make that long list a bit more readable. There are also options to toggle the visibility of the melee and ranged weapons which should also help make that list a bit more manageable. Also, I have heard you and the sx prefixes to weapons are gone! I agree they were ugly and it wound up not being as interesting as I thought it might be to be able to tell which were bought in shop and which weren't. Don't worry, the second reason I was using the prefixes, to filter the weapons so you can't buy extras, is being handled without using the visible name now and you still can't buy the same weapon twice.

Weapon damage and strikes values are increased as you train up in the relevant damage and strikes. This means buying a weapon later in the game can actually be worth it now.

It seems like Clonkinator had unintentionally taken out what I consider one of the more important features of the core SX engine: that the enemies get a bump in power when a human player dies. They were still getting the money but not the turn boost. I've put that back in so watch out! ;)
A Guy

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.0!

Post by A Guy »

Well, I'm willing to assist, provided that I have computer time.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.