MP Campaigns broken in 1.1.13

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

MP Campaigns broken in 1.1.13

Post by Rhuvaen »

I just submitted this bug. I'm not sure in which version this broke, but it has been working correctly from 1.1.2 to 1.1.8 at least. (some people were playing Elf War with 1.1.11 and not reporting problems).
Bug#7936 wrote:These features were first tested working by me (Rhuvaen on the forums) in 1.1.2 and last in 1.1.8 or so.

Now in 1.1.13 we find they do not work anymore...

This is what happens when a scenario specified by next_scenario is loaded in networked play ("multiplayer campaign"):

1. identifying correct controller by save_id:
All controllers are now set to the host, and players in the previous scenarios become observers.
Correct behavious: controllers are assigned according to save_id.

2. passing variables:
All variables are now cleared from one scenario to the next (except recall lists).
Correct behaviour: variables remain available throughout the whole chain of scenarios.

I noticed that in the end screen of the first scenario, there was a bonus dialogue only for the host player...
The first can be fixed by passing control over from the host to the players, but it is of course super-clumsy.

I'm not sure what fixes to the multiplayer code happened between 1.1.8 and now, but they must have broken this...

:cry:
Attachments
MP_Camp_Test.zip
Testing scenarios for basic MP campaign functionality
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Is this a backburner issue? :(

I'd be willing to put some help into this, but I don't have the time diving into the code without some guidance...

Clearly, some (relatively) recent changes in the multiplayer code have broken this functionality. Any ideas?

Or should we just stuff our ideas for multiplayer campaigns in an old chest and bury it until Wesnoth 2.0? :?
appleide

Post by appleide »

I support Rhuvaen...
:( I can do nothing to help. (Don't look at my BASIC hacking abilities, :roll: .)
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

There have been some very important fixes to the control passing code since 1.1.8.

Regarding the "backburner"-- MP Campaigns are such a rarity, you shouldn't expect the developers to be actively testing them each time a related piece of code is modified. Also, it's a bit late to be reporting these problems now; if you really want MP Campaign support to be a high priority, you should at least use the latest version so you can make timely bug reports.

Probably the coder you are looking for is Dirus, EdB, gk-gen, or YogiHH on #wesnoth-dev. Personally, I consider MP Campaigns a new feature, so I'm not concerned about getting it into 1.2. There is life after 1.2, you know...
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I told EdB about this bug, and he said he will look into it this weekend if he has time.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Thanks for your effort, Sapient! :D

If I overshot my target making some noise, that's because 8 days without a response or acknowledgement made me take some steps. I'm not expecting anyone else to test any such features and am not (in this thread, at least :wink:) advocating any changes to be implemented before the next stable release. But sometimes it's disappointing to see how on this forum irrelevant random posts get so much attention whereas issues concerned with the development of the game don't.

I guess that's the reason IRC gets mentioned time and again :P. I'm just not an IRC type of guy... :? (guess I just hate synchronous faceless communication!)
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Ah, this rings a bell here. Some time ago, i did a large fix to savegames. It turned out that it was too large :? and it had to be reverted, but i found that variables don't get saved properly. So if anyone is taking on this before i can do, look at the code collecting all the savegame information and simply add variables to it.

I will start a second try but this will need some time in a row and that is one of the things far out of reach for me at the moment. Maybe when the new year has started.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

An update:

1. controller issue: EdB has found a fix for the bug and has amended the trunk and 1.1.14+svn branches. So this problem will be fixed in the next release! :D

2. variables issue: further testing is needed - this seems to be a savegame only issue. There is still the open bug #6412 which breaks continuing MP campaigns from savegames - maybe this is a related issue? Which bug report corresponds to the savegame problem you mentioned, yogibear?

Anyway, MP campaigns capability is improving. I'll do some more testing in January when I'm back from holidays... (looking for smilie with a christmas hat - but there is none!)
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Is there any chance the variable bug will be fixed in the next time? Hard to make a MP campaign without variables that are carried over to the next scenario..
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

The variables bug was a false alarm :oops:. They are carried over. There might still be an issue with them in savegames with what yogibear mentioned, but I don't know about that.