Team Coloring Script and the Undead

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jormungandr
Art Contributor

Team Coloring Script and the Undead

Post by Jormungandr »

I've made an attempt to teamcolor a good number of the Undead units. Possibly more interesting than the images themselves is the script I used to automate it; it's a simple Ruby script that uses ImageMagick to replace all occurences of certain colors in an image with one of the valid teamcolor shades of magenta. A simple input file lets you specify this mapping:

Code: Select all

24,0,0=4
127,0,0=7
255,127,127=15
On the left is the RGB color being replaced, on the right the number of the teamcolor shade to replace it with (lower is darker). If the changes needed to teamcolor a unit are simply a matter of color swapping, this makes it real easy to do all the animation frames at the same time.

The attached contains the script itself, the results of running it on the various skeletal units, and the input files I used to do so.
Attachments
skeletons.zip
(129.71 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

These skeletal images look good. Especially with pink I think the skeleton is a bit over team-colorized. I'd add team coloring to his shirt but not his axe.
Last edited by quartex on March 22nd, 2006, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

quartex wrote:Especially with pink
No offense, but I'm not sure you understand how this works. So in case you don't, here's the scoop:

The pink is a variable; the pink is what gets changed to other team colors. It's never the final color.

You see, we don't make the images in the final color they end up in - that would be a hideous amount of work. Instead, we make them in one color, and some code that Darth Fool made changes a certain small set of colors on the unit (the hot pink, which we'd never normally use) to whatever color the team is using. This also never saves any pictures it makes to the hard drive - it makes these on the fly, every time the game runs.

(Unless you were referring to our current purple color set, which does kinda look a little bit like pink. That color is being changed to a deep royal purple, though.)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks for the clarification.

I still stand by my previous assertion that the skeleton should have his clothing team-colored but not his axe as well.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

quartex wrote:Thanks for the clarification.

I still stand by my previous assertion that the skeleton should have his clothing team-colored but not his axe as well.
Yeah.

The axe is a side-effect of the "one-size-sorta-fits-all" script; little things like this need to get retouched by hand. The script is good enough to do most of the work, but not all of it. The original colors that were laid down on the unit were laid down without us expecting that this would come to pass.