Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

ruffian portrait

Post by Blarumyrran »

contours inked by TSI
mnewton1

Re: ruffian portrait

Post by mnewton1 »

I love it! the only thing I would suggest changing is getting rid of the zits/boils and the hand looks wrong
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

A few comments :

- I like the look on his face and the idea that he has some kind of skin disease, but those boils feel a little lonely on such a smooth skin. Maybe you could go further by adding other signs of disease (eczema, rough-textured skin), or simply show some hair on his forearm.

- The hand doesn't fit with the club. The way his hand is currently drawn, it feels that any object held would point toward his left breast/shoulder region.

- The lighting makes his chest/arms kind of flat. I suggest brighter or more saturated highlights on his right shoulder and upper arm in order to give him volume. Possible darkening/desaturating of his left shoulder to push it in the background.

- The all-black linework could be smoothed by using dark tones instead of pure black, while maintaining black linework in shadow patches. For instance I'd keep black for his right shoulder (the one closest to us), but draw a dark blue line for his left shoulder. Dark brown lines for the club and skin, etc.

Edit for a last-minute comment
- What becomes of his left arm is unclear : we see it in the space between the hand and club, but it's not continued below. In a natural pose, you'd see no arm at all or you'd see it all the way down :wink:

Altogether looking good, keep up the good work :)
Last edited by LordBob on January 8th, 2009, 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

good to have someone else getting into the portrait business! :)

additional to what lordbob already said i'd like to add that i think that his head is a tad big and the head-body connection is unclear, too. regarding the skin disease i think that it would be a really nice idea for a specific character in a campaign but i'm not so fond for it in the generic unit portrait. and take care that you differentiate the different materials: skin, wood and cloth all look pretty much the same right now (apart from the colours, of course :P).
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

So did some edits per the flaws pointed out.

The boils are there to show the filthy and extremely poor conditions i suppose ruffians are supposed to live in (being both level0 and outlaw), id really like to have them stay.

The head/body size ratio was fixed with a cheap Scale - but imo the artifacts emerging from that arent very noticeable to a casual viewer (even tho its very noticeable if you zoom higher than 100%)

//edit: some little mess with the mouth..
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

- The hand is better oriented, but still not perfect. The grip you drew isn't wrong, but the left-side contour bothers me. The best suggestion I can come up with is, you look at your own hand holding a club-like object (the neck of a bottle should fit in size and shape). I'll try and make a quick paint-over that should illustrate better :)

- The boils feel more natural now that you added a red patch underneath. I'd say keep them, they're fitting for the character.

- The rip-like something you added on his left shoulder doesn't work : it suggests an entirely different orientation of the shoulder compared to the rest of the body. Either draw it differently, or recycle it as a collar.

- This one's nitpicking : due to shadow depth, the club sometime seems to be hovering above the shoulder. In a natural lighting, shadows are deeper where the object obstructing the light is closer to the shadowed surface. If you deepen the shadow on his chest next to the club, the posture will be easier to read

Altogether looking good, just a little more work :wink:
Attachments
Crappy paintover to illustrate
Crappy paintover to illustrate
ruffian_paintover.png (136.37 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The outfit makes me think of Star Trek. :P
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

^ yeah... makes me think of a clean-shaven Klingon a bit. But anyway: about the skin disease - maybe some scars would be better? As someone said it seemed out of place and even with the modification it seems a bit odd. :hmm:
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits