Standing and idle animations?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

right now, units have no knowledge of other units, except the one they are facing (if any)

I plan to add neighbouring units soon, but it's not done yet

as to limitating it in a more generic way, no. That would force dirty hack for a minor case.

I have implemented a way to tweak animation probability easily to help with idle anims, that should do the trick.

as for your other ideas... they are all easily doable, but probably not worth the effort (artwise, codewise it's trivial)

right now the anim engine can do much more than what it is currently used for, and I don't think most artists really realise yet how versatile it is... things like final blows, special attack against certain units, damage dependant death anims, damage dependant hit anims are perfectly doable, we only need art for them.

I'm not advertising it too much to keep focus on 1.2 art, but I'll do something about it once 1.2 is out, don't worry about that
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
hunz

Post by hunz »

I didn't see any bat animations, I want to see they flying!

Some idling animations should not be played all the time (like a soldier swinging his sword) but some other are needed to play all the time (like a bat flying).

And IMO the animations shouldn't have any wind-effects, it will look weird if a unit is affected by a wind coming from right and other unit by a wind coming from the left.

Hugs, peace.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

hunz wrote:Some idling animations should not be played all the time (like a soldier swinging his sword) but some other are needed to play all the time (like a bat flying).
The swordsman swinging his sword is an idle animation. The swordsman's hair (if it was visible) waving in the wind is a standing animation. They're conceptually very different things.
hunz wrote:And IMO the animations shouldn't have any wind-effects, it will look weird if a unit is affected by a wind coming from right and other unit by a wind coming from the left.
That's why the capes and hair and whatnot waving should be done in a subtle way, one which doesn't really convey what direction the wind, for example, is blowing from. Just small movements, nothing big.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I didn't exactly feel like committing these without consulting the other art people, so...what do you think?

:D
Attachments
zombie-idle.gif
zombie-idle.gif (31.57 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
adept-idle.gif
adept-idle.gif (37.68 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

zookeeper wrote:I didn't exactly feel like committing these without consulting the other art people, so...what do you think?

If we put it on a really long delay, such that people will wonder if they just saw what they thought they saw, I'm totally fine with having that zombie animation in. It has to be on the level where's it's a borderline easter egg, otherwise not only is the game immersion muddled, but a lot of the humor is lost, too.

In fact that's really a general policy for ridiculous animations, so long as they're not grossly anachronistic.

As for the dark adept animation, the current dark adept is getting replaced; which I covered over in two threads in Art Dev (I'd have the new one in, but I'm not quite happy with it as-is). The animation itself is fine, we'll just need to retool it to match - fortunately, the undead are now at the top of my sprite to-do list.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I think this is the perfect time to remind people about the "frequency" tag which was implemented specifically for that case...

the idle animations are played every ~30s IIRC, however, using the frequency tag you can reduce that by making the unit "miss an anim" every so often...

and I love both these anims :)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

The zombie animation should be rare but not only because it's rather funny but also because you'll often have lots of them on the screen.
Of course, the optimum would be something like the "En Guard" animation from Eleazar for the case when an enemy is near. In this case, we don't want Idle animations. Might even make sense to use something like the idle animations just in a more protective way. Of course, that's even more work then defensive position frames (which would be a lot of work already).
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

zookeeper wrote:I didn't exactly feel like committing these without consulting the other art people, so...what do you think?

Quite funny both of them, and the silly zombie in particular looks great. :)

I agree with the low frequency needed for these to work best in game.
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, I sort of figured these (especially the WC, the adept slightly less so) would have a very low frequency.

In other news, I already committed these two. Not perfect, but will do until/unless someone wants to tweak them.
Attachments
young-ogre-idle.gif
young-ogre-idle.gif (26.83 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
whelp-idle.gif
whelp-idle.gif (22.67 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Those are awesome! =)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

:D That jiggling ogre made me crack alright. (Although not as much as the heavy-adept)
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Good call on committing those, zookeeper; they're excellent! :D

They're exactly the kind of animations we want for this. Perfect.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Jetryl wrote:Good call on committing those, zookeeper; they're excellent! :D
Awesome, indeed.

Ok, zookeeper's work inspired me to post these... they're pretty basic, but might work nevertheless. Once and if approved I'll post the .pngs and sequences.
Attachments
skeleton-idle-animation-1.gif
skeleton-idle-animation-1.gif (7.48 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
pikeman-idle-animation-1.gif
pikeman-idle-animation-1.gif (5.77 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
general-idle-animation-1.gif
general-idle-animation-1.gif (10.06 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Redeth wrote:Ok, zookeeper's work inspired me to post these... they're pretty basic, but might work nevertheless. Once and if approved I'll post the .pngs and sequences.
The general and pikeman (especially the general) need some additional inbetween frames on their head movement - the pikeman only needs one for when he turns his head to face the other way, the general needs several to ease how his head snaps around. Other than that, they're excellent.

Also, the skeleton is fine, IMO, as-is.

I'd like to see any of Zookeeper's thoughts on these..
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

We seem to be moving in the direction of having most of the undead idle animations be slightly to extremely humorous. :/
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm