Docks & Ships

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GregorR
Posts: 51
Joined: September 26th, 2005, 9:19 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Docks & Ships

Post by GregorR »

I'm developing a campaign that uses docks and ships. I figured others might be vaguely interested. Attached is a screenshot of humans using warships.

Also, if anybody wants information on how I got all of that working, feel free to ask :)
Attachments
Screenshot of docks and ships
Screenshot of docks and ships
docks.jpg (150.43 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin »

We have limited upload space... perhaps you should link to that screenshot, or post a thumbnail, instead of uploading the whole thing...

PS: I don't like the idea of ships interacting with normal units. How is a spearman throwing a javelin at a ship going to damage it at all? And how would he do a melee attack against it?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
capitol
Posts: 81
Joined: December 13th, 2003, 7:05 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by capitol »

great stuff :)

And a ship is more than wood and cloth, it has to have a crew to operate it, is a spearman kills one of them the ship looses some of its value.
"The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children."
GregorR
Posts: 51
Joined: September 26th, 2005, 9:19 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Post by GregorR »

turin wrote:We have limited upload space... perhaps you should link to that screenshot, or post a thumbnail, instead of uploading the whole thing...
:oops: I didn't have anywhere else to put it. Should have put a thumbnail instead, however >_>
turin wrote:PS: I don't like the idea of ships interacting with normal units. How is a spearman throwing a javelin at a ship going to damage it at all? And how would he do a melee attack against it?
The ships can only go in the deep water, the normal units cannot go in deep water, so there's little interaction. They do interact with mermen (the whole reason I made them), but that's all within water, I think it makes enough sense to be worth the added terrain use.
User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin »

humans can go in shallow water, which is always adjacent to deep water. In fact, probably a lot of the fighting would take place there.

In any case, they can interact with mermen. So, can you explain how a single merman does enough damage with his tiny trident to do any damage to a galleon? It seems to me like the riflemen vs. tanks scenario. In real life, no matter how many riflemen shoot at a tank, no matter how long they spend shooting at it, no damage will be done. It seems to me it would be the same with a spear vs. a ship.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ILikeProgramming
Posts: 837
Joined: April 14th, 2005, 4:17 am

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Will the code be added to WMLFragments?
scott
Posts: 5242
Joined: May 12th, 2004, 12:35 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

Post by scott »

turin wrote:humans can go in shallow water, which is always adjacent to deep water. In fact, probably a lot of the fighting would take place there.

In any case, they can interact with mermen. So, can you explain how a single merman does enough damage with his tiny trident to do any damage to a galleon? It seems to me like the riflemen vs. tanks scenario. In real life, no matter how many riflemen shoot at a tank, no matter how long they spend shooting at it, no damage will be done. It seems to me it would be the same with a spear vs. a ship.
I guess resistances will have to reflect that. If you consider "death" for a ship a hole big enough to cause flooding, and you assume they do not have advanced anti-flooding features modern ships have, then you're in business. By that premise, it does not take much to kill a ship. If you pry back enough wood with your spear or sword to create a hole, you can do it. If you can smash the hull with a hammer, likewise. Fire likewise. Riflemen can shoot out tank treads, but I see your point.

Here's a suggestion, if you need one:
Pierce: 90%
Blade: 80%
Impact: 30%
Fire: -30%
Cold: 100%
Holy: 0%
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin »

Even if the hull has a decent-sized hole in it, it will take quite a long time for it to flood, even with less than modern ships... so, really, you'd have to kill the unit and then it would get one more turn in which, if it could heal back up above 0 HP, it would still be alive. That would get complex. ;)

PS: Yes, infantrymen can shoot out tank treads. That would make them immobile, not dead.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
xaero_radiance
Posts: 19
Joined: October 1st, 2005, 5:41 am

Post by xaero_radiance »

http://www.photobucket.com

Free images hosting if you guys wanna use it, It'll free up a little space on the forum's...
User avatar
Cuyo Quiz
Posts: 1777
Joined: May 21st, 2005, 12:02 am
Location: South America

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

turin wrote:Even if the hull has a decent-sized hole in it, it will take quite a long time for it to flood, even with less than modern ships... so, really, you'd have to kill the unit and then it would get one more turn in which, if it could heal back up above 0 HP, it would still be alive. That would get complex. ;)

PS: Yes, infantrymen can shoot out tank treads. That would make them immobile, not dead.
I think we can take into account the psychological effect into account too. Hole breaks, people move like crazy, some trying to fight, some trying to scape, some trying to avoid flooding.

In the end, maybe making a hole in the hull can be more effective that raiding the boat, but of course, the crew will attack you when you try to harm the boat.

On tanks: Shoot out the treads, or even better, hop on on the front (you don't attack a tank when it is at full speed with rifles, so i guess the tank isn't going fast), place your gun in that hole by which the driver sees, and finally make a daring shoot out. You can also go by the hatch, eiter way is dangerous, as attacking a boat, to make holes in it owuld be :) .
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
User avatar
Tomsik
Posts: 1401
Joined: February 7th, 2005, 7:04 am
Location: Poland

Post by Tomsik »

scott wrote:Cold: 100%
but cold attack could kill humans, in wood you have some water too, when it freezes it ice destroy wood. 20% max i think.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1272
Joined: August 27th, 2004, 8:05 am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Docks & Ships

Post by Rhuvaen »

GregorR wrote:I'm developing a campaign that uses docks and ships. I figured others might be vaguely interested.
Cool stuff - for a custom campaign. I really appreciate the fact that those that contribute see very different possibilities for the game, and try to utilise them :).

I personally find treating ships and other units the same a bit strange. Water combat is not one of the most exciting aspects of the game, due to limited terrains. The early 70% defence mermen and naga have shown this. Presumably these are going to be used as transports. So what happens when it sinks - you lose all your level 3's aboard? Not so exciting.

And a deepwalking horde of WC's can stop a navy, how's that? :?

It can certainly be thematic for a campaign however, and kudos to you if you can make it work cleanly :D!
unsung
Posts: 708
Joined: May 15th, 2005, 5:54 pm
Location: Raging somewhere..

Post by unsung »

turin wrote:
PS: Yes, infantrymen can shoot out tank treads. That would make them immobile, not dead.
no, they can't.

the tread is rubber, the little wheels are pretty immune t orifle fire. you can break the treads, but it can still move, unless th ecrew is unlucky. if they break, run up, and pull part of it off, however........

cuyo, you need a bolt cutter to open a tank hatch, and the crew is armed. plus, the drivers window is bullet proof. and an m1a1 has 3 .50 cal machine guns that can penetrate lightly armored vehicles, and most other tanks have similar weapons, so the infantry would like, you know, die.

anyway, It think it could be a good idea, but ships should have NO interaction wwith anyother unit type.you could make anew teerain type thats 100% impasable to seperate shallow and deep water........
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Disto
Posts: 2039
Joined: November 1st, 2004, 7:40 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Post by Disto »

unsung wrote:
turin wrote:
PS: Yes, infantrymen can shoot out tank treads. That would make them immobile, not dead.
no, they can't.

the tread is rubber, the little wheels are pretty immune t orifle fire. you can break the treads, but it can still move, unless th ecrew is unlucky. if they break, run up, and pull part of it off, however........

cuyo, you need a bolt cutter to open a tank hatch, and the crew is armed. plus, the drivers window is bullet proof. and an m1a1 has 3 .50 cal machine guns that can penetrate lightly armored vehicles, and most other tanks have similar weapons, so the infantry would like, you know, die.

anyway, It think it could be a good idea, but ships should have NO interaction wwith anyother unit type.you could make anew teerain type thats 100% impasable to seperate shallow and deep water........
I believe they were using older examples for tanks, but if you think about it, nowadays, we have stuff like anti-tank missiles, which may cause problems for tanks, and if you threw a grenade into the wheels on the tracks it will quite possible immobilise it, also you can blind them with such things as smoke screens so they can't actually see anyone to shoot at, there are many things infantry can do to a tank, but thats generally 100 to 1, so if a group of tanks come along the best idea would be to retreat. Remember a tank can't hide in ditches or bushes whereas a infantryman can... There are many weaknesses to tanks.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
unsung
Posts: 708
Joined: May 15th, 2005, 5:54 pm
Location: Raging somewhere..

Post by unsung »

the explosion wouyld merely break th etread. it would still fuction unless part was pule doff the wheels or the beak was massive.

u.s. infantry can take one down yes, as can any superpower, but other infantry......

and tanks are made ot work in groups. deploying one alone is considered foolish.


okay, I really need to get around to creating a topic for all the arguments I start about these things.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Post Reply