Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.4.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Do you ever use the Episode II menu entry to launch the campaign?

Poll runs till August 6th, 2020, 4:21 am

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 12

ShadowWalker

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by ShadowWalker »

The Royal Meeting story scenario is broken for me, most of the time the screen is just black. After trying around a bit I was able to get it to work by removing the {FULLSCREEN_CUTSCENE_UI} macro.

I wonder if is a problem just on my system? And if so what could be the cause of it?

Wesnoth version 1.14.9
Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.1
OSX 10.11.6

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

*peeks out from behind the curtain*

I've definitely not been hiding all this time.
ShadowWalker wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 4:46 pm
The Royal Meeting story scenario is broken for me, most of the time the screen is just black. After trying around a bit I was able to get it to work by removing the {FULLSCREEN_CUTSCENE_UI} macro.

I wonder if is a problem just on my system? And if so what could be the cause of it?
This and similar issues in other campaigns should be fixed in Wesnoth 1.14.13 (or more specifically 1.14.10 and later), but if somehow it keeps happening I'd be interested in a bug report through the official support channels for Wesnoth since I'm responsible for the engine fix in 1.14.10.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm (now available for Wesnoth 1.14).

Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.2 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.2 is out!

Surprisingly enough, not much has happened on this front. Like, really nothing at all. I mean, this is such a high-quality campaign it has basically not required any maintenance work since 2.1.1 because it basically maintains itself or something? I know, sounds crazy.

There are some bug fixes in this version, certainly, and I think they are listed below. Maybe? Probably? I don't remember.

Oh yeah, need to mention this important little detail: if you are playing with music enabled, you will need to upgrade the IftU Music add-on to version 0.3.2 since this release uses a couple of tracks introduced in that version. If you are using the game's Update All functionality then it should all be done for you and you don't need to worry about anything at all, though. Just... push the button I guess.

The complete changelog for this version of IftU follows:

Code: Select all

Version 2.1.2:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200621.
  * Updated art licenses for CC BY-NC-ND 4.0, CC BY-SA 4.0 and CC0 content.

* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Anlindë Elvish Avatar.

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: French (Naia only), Russian (complete).

* Music:
  * Added Telaron's Climactic Contemplation and Western_Theme2 to IftU Music

* Scenarios:
  * S2 - A Real Confrontation:
    * Don't scroll back to Lédinor when he remarks on the newly recruited demon
      (fixes #64)
  * S7 - Goliath:
    * Made it more practical to find and obtain the Void Armor item.
  * S10 - The Source of Light:
    * Fixed Berserker Potion increasing the unit's HP pool without increasing
      its current HP as well.
  * S16 - Dawn of War
    * Properly displayed gold carryover bonus in the objectives after defeating
      enemies (fixes #50).
  * S19 - Under the Sands
    * Clarified objectives (fixes #52).

* Units:
  * Chaos Cardinal migrated to Naia and expanded with a new baseframe by VYNLT
    and slightly different stats over the mainline Ancient Lich.
  * Use 1.14 rodent fangs icon for the Rabbit's incisors attack.
  * Chaos Hound line is now considered part of the wolves race and receives
    names and traits accordingly.
  * Implemented a more elegant way to disable Enchantress advancement to Sylph
    (fixes #38).
  * Terror ability no longer affects same-level units.
The complete changelog for the included version of Naia follows:

Version 20200621:
-----------------
* General:
  * Updated art licenses for CC BY-NC-ND 4.0, CC BY-SA 4.0 and CC0 content.

* Terrains:
  * Fixed Wall Moss terrain not having working graphics when playing IftU
    instead of AtS.

Version 20200620:
-----------------
* Lua and WML library:
  * Added [fade_to_black] and [fade_in] to the list of skippable actions to
    solve issues with terrains remaining in dark screen mode when skipping
    certain cutscenes using them, e.g. AtS E3S1.
  * Patch a border case with FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT in Wesnoth 1.14 affecting
    scenarios such as AtS E3S3.
  * Added a mechanism to inject global events without relying on [campaign].
  * Major characters with AMLA upgrades available now have their XP bar
    displayed in blue.
  * Added [item_prompt] and adapted IftU's PICK_UP macro to make use of it.
  * Added UNIT_SPEAKS_FOR_UNDEAD_MINION* from IftU.
  * Fixed [invert_direction] yielding north for north.
  * Added [no_op].
  * Added [variable_in] and [position_equals] WML conditional tags.
  * Added VARIABLE_IF_ELSE, VARIABLE_POS_EQUALS, VARIABLE_LEXICAL_IN utility
    macros.

* Units:
  * Chaos Cardinal migrated from IftU and expanded with a new baseframe by
    VYNLT and slightly different stats over the mainline Ancient Lich:
    * 80 HP -> 89 HP
    * Melee 8-4 -> 9-3, plague(Ghoul) weapon special added
  * Door unit event handlers now have unique ids.
  * Chaos Hound unit line now belongs to the wolf race, giving them traits and
    names accordingly.
  * Removed overlong death animation for the Aragwaith Lancer that only uses
    the baseframe as a placeholder.
  * Terror ability no longer affects same-level units.

* Terrains:
  * Migrated Flat and Rough Overlay terrains from AtS.

Okay, I know what you are all thinking right now. "Iris it's been like 2 freakin' years and the world is ending, where the heck is After the Storm for Wesnoth 1.14?" And I know you want answers. So... Give me just a little moment here...
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm (now available for Wesnoth 1.14).

DukeSwampy

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.2 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by DukeSwampy »

Well darn, I just completed the prequel IftU (alternative): The Dark Master, and now this campaign are just updated.
Spoiler:
PS.:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)

Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.3 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.3 is out now.

As far as I know, there weren't any game-breaking bugs in IftU 2.1.2/AtS 0.10.0 (except the one, see below). However, there was one thing that I was working on for AtS 0.10.0 back in October which I had to postpone in order to get the first release out within a reasonable timeframe, and which I actually somehow managed to rewrite thrice finish up over the past couple of days.

AMLA browser display
Screenshot_20200625_022502.png
Screenshot_20200625_022502.png (149.51 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Screenshot_20200625_015537.png
This release of IftU/AtS includes a new Unit Advancements option in the context menu for units such as Anlindë and Elynia who have AMLAs other than the game's default +3 HP AMLA. If you somehow haven't heard of AMLAs before, they are generally upgrades a unit that has already reached its maximum level can get as it reaches 100% experience again.

The drawback of having custom AMLAs is that they've always been considered third-class citizens by Wesnoth's UI, since the game wasn't originally designed with unit advancements and other RPG-like stuff in mind. Even in version 1.15.3 they exist in this weird limbo where the engine supports them fully but doesn't provide a proper interface to visualize them. I wrote the Naia Unit Advancements dialog with the intent of bridging the gap a bit and hopefully inspiring people to re-use it in their own add-ons or, in the best case, get a similar solution implemented into the game itself at a later point.

AMLAs in this release of the campaigns remain otherwise completely unchanged. Note that the Unit Advancements option does not appear for units that do not have any non-default AMLAs; and in particular, it will not appear for Anlindë before she reaches level 4 for the first time. Once there are eligible units around, however, you will get reminded of the existence of the option exactly once on the next playable turn.

Replay OOS issues fixed

Coincidentally, while working on the above and with gfgtdf's extensive help, I found a solution for a rather elusive issue that has affected IftU since version 2.1.1 and AtS since the first 1.14-compatible internal releases. Basically, the feature that made it possible to skip cutscenes completely by pressing Escape also made it so a couple of seemingly inoffensive WML actions ([move_unit_fake] and [move_units_fake]) would be skipped as well, thereby causing the engine's internal unit counter not to be incremented. Turns out this is a really Bad Thing™ for replays (and multiplayer) resulting in OOS errors if you don't make sure to skip cutscenes at the exact same point in both live games and the resulting replays.

This release fixes the issue by making [move_unit_fake] no longer bump the internal unit counter regardless of whether it's being skipped or not. Wesnoth 1.15.4 is gonna ship with a nearly identical fix, but 1.14.x versions are stuck with the existing behaviour in order to avoid breaking multiplayer and replay synchronization across the board.

Other than those two points, this is a rather boring release for IftU in particular. On the plus side, you don't need to restart the campaign to benefit from the changes.

Version 2.1.3:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200625.
  * Fixed OOS errors caused by Naia's cutscene skip functionality, first
    introduced in version 2.1.1.

* Scenarios:
  * Added a hint to all scenarios about browsing through unit AMLAs. This is
    only displayed once per save and it is triggered by Anlindë reaching level
    4 for the first time, or by Elynia existing on the game map.

Version 20200625:
-----------------
* Lua and WML library:
  * Add `table_size`, `table_empty`, `table_keys`, `table_merge` global functions.
  * Moved `AMLA_VITALITY` macro from AtS.
  * Fixed OOS errors in replays due to cutscene skipping with `[move_unit_fake]`
    causing the unit counter to desync (After the Storm #68).

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: Spanish (complete).

* Units:
  * Added a context menu option to browse through custom AMLAs for player units
    that have them (e.g. the protagonists of IftU and AtS) (issue #3, After the
    Storm #69, Invasion from the Unknown #70).
  * Revised race descriptions: Shaxthals.
  * Revised unit descriptions: Water Tidal, Water Spirit, Aragwaith Sorceress,
    Aragwaith Guard, Aragwaith Greatbow, Aragwaith Swordsmaster.
Have fun! 💜

HenryY2020

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.3 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by HenryY2020 »

In S7- Goliath, I don't know how to get the Void Armor. The author said it's more practical but I can't find any clues on how to do so. Can anyone here help me with this?

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

HenryY2020 wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 3:59 am
In S7- Goliath, I don't know how to get the Void Armor. The author said it's more practical but I can't find any clues on how to do so. Can anyone here help me with this?
It's more practical in the sense that you should be able to do it without running into the turn limit or triggering the boss fight, but it's still kind of an easter egg item more than something you're supposed to be able to find on your own since it's very OP compared to anything else you can get in the campaign.
Mildly spoilery version:
Full spoilery version:

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Okay, time for a poll.

Major IftU spoilers ahead, as well as some mild spoilers for AtS.

Originally, IftU was a single campaign, internally arranged in 4 "episodes" or acts, with no gameplay implications beyond the presence of a boss at the end of each one:
  • Episode 1: S1 (Border Patrol) through S7 (The Elf versus Goliath / Goliath boss scenario)
  • Episode 2: S8 (Errand of Hope) through S13 (Face your Fate / Chaos Warlord boss scenario)
  • Episode 3: S14 (Bye and Behold) through S18 (Armageddon / Armageddon Imp boss scenario*)
  • Episode 4: S19 (Wesmere) through S23 (Interim+Welcome to the Lair+Broken Heart / Chaos Emperor boss scenario) + S24 (Epilogue)
* In later versions the scenario in question gradually mutated into what is now S17 Voice of the Armageddon, the Chaos Cardinal/Mal Hekuba boss scenario.

Later, during IftU's brief existence as a candidate for mainline inclusion, I did some work on rearranging the campaign's structure. Because one of the concerns brought up was its length, it ended up with two episodes, available in the Campaigns menu as two different campaign entries:
  • Episode I: Seeking the Light: S1 (Border Patrol) through S13 (Face your Fate / Chaos Warlord boss scenario)
  • Episode II: Armageddon: S14 (Bye and Behold) through S23 (Into the Lair+Until Death+Broken Heart / Chaos Emperor boss scenario) + S24 (Epilogue)
The reason I made both episodes available in the Campaigns menu was that I felt that potentially it would be possible to completely split the campaign into two at the S14 mark without impacting the gameplay significantly. Back then there wasn't any functionality in the game engine to allow sharing information across campaigns, so people would have been forced to start Episode 2 without a recall list. Because of balancing concerns, I never made a proper effort to finalize the split. Moreover, as AtS' development resumed and its own Episode 1 was completed, I started to get a lot of complaints about the fact that the player's progress couldn't be transferred over to Episode 2; and also, people complained that their progress in IftU couldn't be transferred over to AtS. Much later, Wesnoth's implementation of persistent variables to share information across campaigns matured enough to solve the problem on the AtS side of things.

However, the fact remains that IftU wasn't really designed with a hard episode split in mind, from a gameplay perspective. And while it should be more than possible for me right now to force the split at S14 and allow transferring the player's progress over to IftU Episode 2, I'm not terribly convinced it makes sense to force an unnecessary pause there where the player must go back to the main menu and select Episode 2 to continue, as opposed to just clicking Continue Player at the intermission screen (present since IftU 2.0).

The current approach of having an optional split right before S14 also has the big drawback (for some) that the victory laurels on the Campaigns menu and difficulty selection dialogs most of the time do not reflect the player's actual progress. Because of Wesnoth's design, the entry for Episode 2 in the Campaigns menu is technically an entirely separate campaign, with its own title and internal id; it just happens to share almost all of the code and assets with Episode 1.

So one thing I am considering right now is dropping the Episode 2 entry in the Campaigns menu entirely. This would mean bringing IftU back to the monolithic campaign format for good, which to be honest would make some of the underlying code much simpler, especially if Galas and Mal Keshar get their advancement trees implemented later. The question is whether anyone really feels that the Episode 2 entry still has some value in spite of all the inconveniences it causes for me and the confusion it causes for everyone else.

If you have an opinion, thoughts, etc. on this matter, feel free to share them here. Otherwise, there's a good chance that the Episode 2 entry will just go away entirely in version 2.2.0 (which is also likely to be the version to introduce unique unit types and AMLAs for Galas and Mal Keshar along with AtS 0.11.0).

The poll is now available at the top of this thread.

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Voted "no" in the poll. I agree with Iris that having two campaign entry points needlessly complicates things, and it could also be a pain in the ass to balance properly.
My active add-ons: [WIP] Ogres Era
My inactive add-ons: Tale of Alan (1.12),The Golden Age (1.12/1.13),XP Bank (1.14),Alliances Mod(1.14) (all add-ons no longer supported)
Co-creator of Era of Magic

Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.4.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.4 2.1.4.1 is out.

Almost all maps got a few minor visual enhancements. That's about it, really.

Oh. Right. There's a few fixes for OOS issues related to user interfaces showing up in the middle of replays.

Version 2.1.4.1:
----------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200724.1.

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: Russian (complete).

Version 2.1.4:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200724.
  * Replaced deprecated Lua API calls.
  * Made first-time character introductions prompt replay-safe.

* Scenarios:
  * Cosmetic changes to the maps for the following scenarios: S1, S2, S3, S4,
    S5a, S5b, S6, S7, S8, S8x, S9, S10, S10x, S11, S12, S13, S14, S15, S16,
    S17, S19, S19x, S20, S21, S22B, S14x, S14z.
  * S23A - Into the Lair:
    * Added snowfall effect to the starting area.
  * S24 - Epilogue:
    * Minor UI tweaks.

Version 20200724.1:
-------------------
* Language and i18n:

Version 20200724:
-----------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Giant Ant.

* Language and i18n:

* Lua and WML library:
  * Added `[variable_default]` and `VARIABLE_DEFAULT` macro.
  * Fixed collectable items prompt triggering during replays and causing OOS
    issues, as well as not behaving properly on keyboard Enter/Esc presses.
  * Removed `hex_facing` function and its implementation details, superseded by
    mainline APIs in version 20200620.
  * Added `opposite=` option to `[set_facing]`, along with an `OPPOSITE_FACING`
    macro for the `FACE_*` utility macros.

* Terrains:
  * Added snow and rain weather effects.
  * Added snowy and dead oak Great Tree variants from Archaic Resources.
  * Fixed some technical terrains being available in the Help browser.

* Units:
  * Added a hint for partially-locked advancement trees (AtS E1 and E2) to the
    Unit Advancements dialog.
  * Added an option to toggle back to the on-map unit stats to the Unit
    Advancements dialog.
  * Units of the spirits race now get the mainline elemental trait instead of
    the custom spirit trait. Note that this makes them not receive the
    `not_living` status anymore.

Have fun! 💜

zbtb7

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.4.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by zbtb7 »

Yo,
long time fan of this campaign here, and I'd like to say I really appeciate all the work you've done and keep doing throughout the years. Do you have any general prediction about when is the next update going out? No pressure, I'd just like to know if it's good idea to wait for the new AMLAs and (possibly) merged campaigns or I should just go on with it now :)

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.4.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

The next release (2.1.5) is slated to be primarily a bug fix release in addition to bringing several unit balance changes for IftU S14 onwards. But no, the AMLAs for Mal Keshar and Galas aren't going to arrive any time soon. They will come with IftU 2.2.0 and AtS 0.11.0, but that's going to take me a few months at the very least since they involve more intricate planning and extra playtesting to avoid upsetting both gameplay and lore — and in Galas' case it will also most certainly involve new baseframes.

Merging both episodes is really just a matter of removing the second entry in the Campaigns menu, and won't impact gameplay otherwise.

As for what I mean by balance changes for S14+ in version 2.1.5:
SPOILERS and preliminary information heavily subject to change:
2.1.5 will probably be out at some point this week or next week.