No Randomness Mod Released

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Re: No Randomness Mod Released

Post by Dugi »

I have updated it, making it round the damages up. This should make all units damageable. I liked this changes when I tested it.

I have also investigated how can Mabuse's No Luck Era show the changes in damage calculations. I didn't expect it to be coded that way. That way of coding it makes it impossible to round the damages up.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Have you considered the effect this has on Thunderers? They become much better here, due to their frontloaded damage - previously, they weren't as good at killing low-HP units.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That is a problem of the conception, not of the code. It wasn't my idea, and in the first post, I have written that I like the randomness. I just did it because nobody knew how to make an add-on that would affect singleplayer campaigns (where MP modifications or eras won't work).
ExVault

Post by ExVault »

Marksman and Magical will always do 60% and 70%? But what if defender is standing in deep water?
I think this is more correct:

Code: Select all

if attacker_code[i][2][j][2][k][2].id == "marksman" and attacker_code.id == u1.id then
     if this_defense < 60 then this_defense = 60
     end
end
if attacker_code[i][2][j][2][k][2].id == "magical" then
    if this_defense < 70 then this_defense = 70
    end
end
Great mod btw. Thanks for sharing.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Magical is supposed to always be 70% in the game. But Marksman is indeed supposed to change if the chances to hit are over 60%.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Yeah, right. Magical should give 70% chance to hit in any case, not just if the defender's defence is lower. I will fix it.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Dugi wrote:I have seen a lot of people complaining on the forums that they want a mod without randomness..
Dugi wrote:and I don't want to see any posts of this kind. Ever..
Impossible task imho: BfW is a game with a very high stress level. Amount of information to manage, learning curve and mistakes pusniment in BfW have all high stress level (only cathegory with low stress is time reaction). It is well known that as higher stress level a game has, less people enjoy it (BfW will be always a minoritary game). Every time someone complain about randomess, it is just complaining about the stress level being to high. Those complains always will come from people that don´t master the game and will never have a good game design as outcome. Day a complain about randomess come from a 2000 elo player we could start to talk seriously... :whistle:
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Exvault's discussion has been moved here.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I've made an update, version 1.3. Most custom chance to hit modifying weapon specials should work as well and I also fixed the problem with marksman not setting the chance to hit to 60% regardless of the target's defence. It is now available also for the 1.12 beta versions.
ExVault

Post by ExVault »

Dugi wrote:I also fixed the problem with marksman not setting the chance to hit to 60% regardless of the target's defence.
But thats Magic. Marksman should be cumulative. Or did I misunderstand your fix?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Eh, I wrote it wrong. It checks if the weapon special is cumulative and behaves accordingly (regardless of the name now, only the properties matter). If you make a weapon special named marksman and is not cumulative, it will not be cumulative, if you make a weapon special named magical and make it cumulative, it will be cumulative.
swangdoodles

Post by swangdoodles »

Hi,
Thanx for this nice add-on.

I tried out your new version of No Randomness Mod. It works fine with all the different chances-to-hit.

I did notice that (in this new version) units dealing only 1 damage, now get their damage rounded down again, and do no damage at all... Wasn't that fixed in an earlier version?

Thanx,
Swangdoodles
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That's quite a bad case, because if they dealt 1 damage, they would be stronger than they should be. Do you suggest to set the minimal damage to 1 regardless how close to 0 it may be?
swangdoodles

Post by swangdoodles »

Hmmm... Good point. Setting a minimal of 1 damage would indeed make these 1 damage dealing units a lot stronger...

I don't know if that would be the way to go, that would be your decision to make.

I just thought that I remembered that these units did deal their damage when I was using the previous version of your add-on...

So in theory a unit that has a 1 damage attack that has 10 strikes... Should hit some of them and miss the others (depending on the terrain-defence)...? Is that what's happening right now??
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Currently, it's up to Wesnoth to decide what will happen if a unit deals 0.4 damage.

Think of this case. A monster deals 1 damage with 10 attacks. It attacks a fencer standing on a village (70% defence), dealing 0 damage with each hit, 0 in total. However, if it was rounded up, it would deal 1 damage with each hit, dealing 10 damage in total. The fencer should take in average 3 damage. Now, what is better? Neither of the cases, we can't implement healths and damages with a floating point and some luck dependence goes against the principle.

I didn't have the idea to have a mod like this, so I am not the one who is to decide how will this be solved. I created this because I figured out how to make an easy-to-use mod like this.

Come on, decide.