Insane Hermit

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Insane Hermit

Post by EvilEarl »

I was going to have my first project be a mappack, but I came up with a small campaign idea that wouldn't leave me.
Spoiler:
All I need to do is finish scenarios 3-7 before I make my first release. The system will be kind of different as you control the hermit, whose magical minions spawn at regular intervals instead of being recruitable. Also, since I made the hermit mage close to invincible, the objectives will be more kill the enemy as quickly as possible for the first 4 scenarios, defeat enough enemies in a specified time for 5, and keep the enemy away for at least a certain amount of time on 6 and 7.

I suck at describing stuff on forums so this may not sound as good as it really is. I hope to be done with the first release by the end of the week so I can show what it's like.
After that I will just have to deal with translations, bug fixes, balancing and graphics tweaks.

Here's the sprite of the insane hermit, but I still haven't completely smoothed out everything yet.
Attachments
insanehermit.png
insanehermit.png (4.99 KiB) Viewed 6936 times
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
Darkaros

Re: Insane Hermit

Post by Darkaros »

Sounds interesting. Though, I think I need a recap on Scenario 5's plot...

So there's:

1 Human Force
1 Dwarven Force
1 Orc Force
2 Allied Undead Forces on East and West of the Map
2 Allied Elven Forces on North and South of the Map

Right? Will it be a general free for all with the Hermit trapped in the center, or will more of the forces be allied with each other? Either way, that sounds... Complicated.

I don't like the idea of an invincible old hermit, though. I think it'd be better if he was just 'invincible' because he had a lot of minion cannon fodder killing everyone (and some sort of system letting you choose your spawnable minions), with reasonably powered up Great Mage-ish stats.

Either way, I really like this idea. Looking forward to it.
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

Darkaros wrote:Sounds interesting. Though, I think I need a recap on Scenario 5's plot...

So there's:

1 Human Force
1 Dwarven Force
1 Orc Force
2 Allied Undead Forces on East and West of the Map
2 Allied Elven Forces on North and South of the Map

Right? Will it be a general free for all with the Hermit trapped in the center, or will more of the forces be allied with each other? Either way, that sounds... Complicated.
It will be an allied attack because no one likes this guy (would you like someone who killed anyone trying to move within a mile of their property?)
He isn't supposed to win anyway, just has to kill a certain number of units (will increase with the difficulty) within a certain amount of time, and then he will retreat into the cave. The WML isn't too hard either, a fight with multiple factions is simple if you set everything right.

And on that part about the invicibility, I mean that it will probably take a bunch of units piling it to kill him (he has regenerates and most of his attacks have berserk and magical, but he is not invincible.)
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Getting close, just finishing with dialogue on scenario 5.

I thought more people would be commenting on this . . . :hmm:
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

EvilEarl wrote:Getting close, just finishing with dialogue on scenario 5.

I thought more people would be commenting on this . . . :hmm:
Ideas are a dime a dozen, more people will comment when there is actually something to play and test.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Here is my first version of my campaign "Insane Hermit". Just download the archive, extract the campaign and put it into the UMC campaigns folder (at least for Linux, I'm not sure for Windows and Mac).
Insane_Hermit0.8.zip
(186.68 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
The campaign is seven scenarios, crudely balanced except for scenario 5 which I will have to rethink (I've put a temporary setup that let's you see how I want the scenario to work but it will be brief enough that it doesn't slow you down). I've tested it for stability and there should be very few (if any) bugs in it. For completeness, I have a TODO at the end of scenario seven and an epilogue that will be added after a while.

I'll start a feedback forum when this gets on an add-on server (I'm not sure how to get it on or if it can right now, given that it has only the English translation, American, not UK just in case that needs to be pointed out.) and when I figure out how I get permission to start it on the UMC feedback forum.

So until then, I will accept feedback here but I would prefer that I get notified about bugs and scenario imbalances as a higher priority.

I will revive the artwork thread for this campaign once other issues are completed.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
melinath

Post by melinath »

You don't need permission to post an addon on the add-on server. And you don't need to have translations.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

ok, will do. But what access do I need to the add-on feedback forum to make a thread?
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

Look here for the UMC feedback forum guidelines.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Insane Hermit is on the add-on server now.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
docrock

Post by docrock »

grats on that one, nice twists to regular BfW gameplay. just ... at the end of the dwarf scenario i get an error "The game could not be saved", which is a first for me, i never got that one before and i can't get rid of that error box. doh.
edit: playing on BfW 1.6.2 (and it really seems i can't finish a post without having to edit it)
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

I've only got the BfW 1.6 because it takes freakin forever for the Ubuntu versions to come out. I mean, only the 1.6, 1.4 etc. are the only versions that appear on the Ubuntu package list, none of these 1.6.1 or 1.6.3.

But I'll look into scenario 2 and figure out what I did wrong. Are you sure that was the only scenario with that?

EDIT:I don't get that error when I play and I can't see anything wrong in the scenario file. It might just be some issue with how you use 1.6.2 and I use 1.6. I'll try to upgrade and test as soon as I can.
Last edited by EvilEarl on July 6th, 2009, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

EvilEarl wrote:I've only got the BfW 1.6 because it takes freakin forever for the Ubuntu versions to come out. I mean, only the 1.6, 1.4 etc. are the only versions that appear on the Ubuntu package list, none of these 1.6.1 or 1.6.3.
Thought about self-compiling?
It's not so hard after all. I do it under Ubuntu all the time.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

I'd self-compile if only I could sort through all of the instructions in the wiki and figure out what I specifically need. Could you pm me on how you do it? I want to keep from cluttering this thread unnecessarily.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Huston

Post by Huston »

you don't even need to do that. you just need to open up Synaptic package manager goto the sources and add these 2 sources:
deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/itwesnoth/debian/ binary/ #wesnoth binary stable/unstable
deb-src http://download.tuxfamily.org/itwesnoth/debian/ sources/ #wesnoth sources stable/unstable

after you've added these 2 sources you'll need to hit the reload button. then you'll be able to install the updated versions of wesnoth via synaptic.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future