Case of the Missing Scepter

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TofuOgre

Case of the Missing Scepter

Post by TofuOgre »

Case of the Missing Scepter (version 0.1) is the bare bones of a campaign. The finished campaign will have a Fallout style ending with 400X300 jpg's depending on options you have picked during the game. Right now, it is rather linear, just one battle after the next without thinking about the best ethical outcome.

Other improvements would be the art work. I thought I could cartoonify photos with GIMP. However, the main character portraits are awful to behold. They are sort of smeared or too human looking.

As for balance, I have not even played scenario 14 or 15 or 17 through. If you find it impossible, tell me about it.

docrock

Re: Case of the Missing Scepter

Post by docrock »

hi, currently playing the first version of your campaign on BfW 1.6.1 on default difficulty. so far it's been good fun and i like your innovative ideas about campaigning.
the first inconsistency i noticed is in "Camp Hackalot", the scenario objectives tell you that Squeeky may not die. yet he/she/it is absent from the map. as starting units i only get Flotsom, Holmz, Gongadin and Tabbithe.

edit: just noticed, Squeeky is as "Squeegy" on my recall list. that might cause it.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Frigeridio

Post by Frigeridio »

TofuOgre wrote: Case of the Missing Scepter (version 0.1) is the bare bones of a campaign...
Where am I supposed to get this? I couldn't find it on the 1.6 server :?
Once there was "l'ultimo cruco", but he got lost in a forum crash...
May his posts rest in peace.
jdp

Post by jdp »

I've played through to the swamp scenario and enjoyed it a lot. It's very imaginative.

In the swamp, just Squeeky and Gongadin appear and neither can recruit troops. There is a message saying that Squeeky has appeared with some troops, but there is nobody with him. Unless I am missing something, this seems to make the scenario impossible. I played through to the 20th turn just in case reinforcements arrive, but nothing comes.
docrock

Post by docrock »

Where am I supposed to get this? I couldn't find it on the 1.6 server
just looked at the 1.6 add-on server and i can confirm this. it has been there (positively, else i would not have this campaign) but as it seems bad things have happened to this server and this campaign like some other add-ons are gone.
Frigeridio

Post by Frigeridio »

docrock wrote: ...but as it seems bad things have happened to this server and this campaign like some other add-ons are gone.
As it seems your campaign was eaten by the evil "404_file-not-found"-monster, which is lurking on the add-on server. After all did you not ask for feed back? :wink:
So could you just re-upload it?
In case I'll give it a try and promise you to give you my impressions.
Once there was "l'ultimo cruco", but he got lost in a forum crash...
May his posts rest in peace.
docrock

Post by docrock »

been just through "Toll Road" and i got to say i am impressed. well, on the one hand one could say that objectives should be formulated more clearly, on the other i have to say that this is one hell of balanced. impressive. on the third hand (jeez, do i have one?) i have to say that the undead are unnecessary, at least at default difficulty. though (anybody lend me a hand?) for a difficulty level called "Easy" (default) this is kinda hard. i don't mind, but maybe you might consider calling your work an expert campaign. that scenario definitely does require some very advanced tactics to get a good outcome, so ...

edit: well, maybe you should think about those fire drakes again. the leader of that castle is going to suicide into the players forces before anybody can get them.
edit2: in "Bay of Pearls" there is still "Sqeegy" left on the recall list after "Sqeeky" did leave.
edit3: yo, and soon after "Squeety" does join in. you should really check the spelling there.
TofuOgre

Post by TofuOgre »

jdp wrote:I've played through to the swamp scenario and enjoyed it a lot. It's very imaginative.

In the swamp, just Squeeky and Gongadin appear and neither can recruit troops. There is a message saying that Squeeky has appeared with some troops, but there is nobody with him. Unless I am missing something, this seems to make the scenario impossible. I played through to the 20th turn just in case reinforcements arrive, but nothing comes.
Oddest problem with that scenario. I had it working with Gongadin recruiting. He had a gold crown, too, but it was beneath the silver crown graphic. But in fixing another problem, I seemed to mess that up without figuring out how I got Gongadin to recruit in the first place.

So, I have throw-away unit called Recruiter doing the recruiting.
TofuOgre

Post by TofuOgre »

docrock wrote: edit: well, maybe you should think about those fire drakes again. the leader of that castle is going to suicide into the players forces before anybody can get them.
edit2: in "Bay of Pearls" there is still "Sqeegy" left on the recall list after "Sqeeky" did leave.
edit3: yo, and soon after "Squeety" does join in. you should really check the spelling there.
Yes, Squeeky and friends were supposed to be throw-away characters, but they were cute and useful. Since I had worked out how to store characters by scenario 13, I'll just store Squeeky and start on trying get those [option] tags working for the final scenario.

Otherwise, I have finally played through all 20 scenarios in version 0.1.1 (the dialogue gets weird after 12 in version 0.1 I because ctrl-x the Mycrokroft character unit tag).
jdp

Post by jdp »

I played through until the end and loved it. Very imaginative. It was challenging at times, but not too challenging if you focus on building up the strength of your forces early on and collect gold when you can.

I noticed a couple of things:

In the last chase through the caves, Flotsam isn't there at the beginning. This isn't a problem except that if I hadn't recalled him, any references to him wouldn't have made sense.

I felt that the scenario where the forest burns down was much too easy. There wasn't really anything to do except move to the crystal. The idea behind this scenario is particularly imaginative, but I think there need to be quite a lot more elves.
CMaster

Post by CMaster »

I've found a small nasty bug in scenario 10:
The scenario ends when all enemies are defeated, yet the next scenario is not set properly. This is nasty, because it deletes your autosaves and bumps you back to the toll road, if you choose to defeat all enemies before choosing the exit. All progress in scenario 10 is lost.

So I think, you should set victory_when_enemies_defeated=no for all five files, and not just the one you don't use...

It's a nice campaign. Unfortunately I didn't find the time to replay scenario 10, so I haven't seen the rest of it yet :|
I'm a reciever!
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

And I didn't even know you could get display cases for scepters ...

TofuOgre

Post by TofuOgre »

CMaster wrote:I've found a small nasty bug in scenario 10:

It's a nice campaign. Unfortunately I didn't find the time to replay scenario 10, so I haven't seen the rest of it yet :|
Yes, I noticed that error awhile back.

I have finally played the thing to the end, occasionally changing save files to see if other options worked.

So, get the new version, it should be 3.1. However, the new version starts recording variables in scenario 6 (Bay of Pearls), which effects some dialog and which ending scenario is played.
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

First; i must ask, is floatsom's face that of a certain Capt. of marsupials?

second; AT the toll road that stubborn knight would only hang around the first camp no matter what machanations i tried.

third; with several of the scenarios, i felt a little cheap as i whacked the opposition leader when the did something foolish, like in bay of pearls the leader charged out into water infront of my full army with his full army watching him from shore.

fourth and FATAL; could not move past the COMS-listra with capn jear, scenario as when i ended it the program just spun its wheels, any unit i put on the; dwarven pass, undead or frozen pass, caused a system not responding.

on the other hand i really enjoyed what you have done, a very creative, amusing and crafty campaingn. I really hope it all gets ironed out.

hope to add a saved game just prior to crash in the hope it helps.

stillcen
Attachments
COMS-Listra_with_Capn_Os.gz
(17.83 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
COMS-Listra_with_Capn_Jear-Auto-Save45.gz
(213.88 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
l5.gz
(178.91 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
TofuOgre

Post by TofuOgre »

stillcen wrote:
second; AT the toll road that stubborn knight would only hang around the first camp no matter what machinations i tried.

third; with several of the scenarios, i felt a little cheap as i whacked the opposition leader when the did something foolish, like in bay of pearls the leader charged out into water infront of my full army with his full army watching him from shore.

fourth and FATAL; could not move past the COMS-listra with capn jear, scenario as when i ended it the program just spun its wheels, any unit i put on the; dwarven pass, undead or frozen pass, caused a system not responding.

stillcen
You don't need the leader to move to the castles' throne, just a side 2 unit. Plus, I want the player to concentrate on promoting the units from the last scenario. As for recruiting fire dragons, maybe I could change the map a little to make that a bit more possible.

I don't know about the AI engine. I usually put the enemy leader at aggression=0 caution=1. He should not be wandering around picking fights.

Now about the last one. I played it without errors. It's Homz that needs to be on the exit--unless you pick up the Bat Wand, then it's anyone. I think I will add dialogue like Flotsom asking, "Homz, can you find an exit out of here?"

But mostly, you want the Bat Wand, otherwise, Squeeky is helpless. There are six special weapons to pick up, but you can only pick three.