1.5 Level 0 campaign: Fool's Errand

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Orcish Shyde

1.5 Level 0 campaign: Fool's Errand

Post by Orcish Shyde »

A youth leaves home with his band of followers, seeking fame and fortune. The first thing he finds is a village overrun by a terrible plague, which caused the dead to rise up from their graves. Hilarity ensues, as I haven't completely written the plot yet (although I DO have some ideas, so watch this space).

The campaign is intended to include all the finished L0 units made by Ken Oh, plus a few of the modified Peasants that were somewhere on Darker_Dreams' hard drive and got stuck in the Art Workshop. In a blatant rip-off of UtBS the main unit has a bunch of custom AMLAs instead of levelling normally (although he does start at level 0 like everyone else).

Planned features include messing with WML to refund half the cost of recalling L0 units, since I'm not sure they're worth 20 gold whatever they level into, and a level 2 (maybe even 3) version of the Torchbearer line. And more missions. Don't forget the extra missions. :P

NOTE: 'Fool's Errand' has been ported to 1.5.x. I don't ever intend to do a backport to 1.4; however, the 1.4 version isn't really so big that any bugs with it can't be dealt with in this thread alongside 1.5 bugs.
Last edited by Orcish Shyde on February 13th, 2009, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
Glowing Fish

Re: 1.4 Level 0 campaign: Fool's Errand

Post by Glowing Fish »

I like the first scenario.
I didn't manage to level up a single unit in it though. Maybe I should be playing on a heavier difficulty?
Maybe you could have a single Level 1 Soulless so that my little Level 0 units can surround it, through their pitchforks/arrows and gather experience?

Also, when does Map 2 come out?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

There's a L1 Soulless for you to fight if you play on Hard.

Also: Map 2 "The Baron's Men" is out. I intend to make 2 branches for this, a lawful and a chaotic one; since I like releasing finished products the lawful branch will probably be done first.

I wouldn't recommend keeping your saves particularly, as the next thing I'm likely to do with the campaign is shift it to 1.5 in order to use currently non-existing features (specifically, the 'recall' event, so I can make it cost only 10 gold to recall L0 veterans).
Necromancer (campaign)

ariondys

Post by ariondys »

Ohh, they're so cute. Little level 0s

I was :D, though I got my adventurer to level the 1st time, I stopped and played on hard.
This caused me to die a couple times and I went back to medium.
Then I died a few more times... I must've lucked out the 1st time.
Then I got a guy to level and he carried the day!
Came off the 1st scenario with a level 2 archer, and 1st level light bearer. And then the next scenario was easy despite my incompetence. That 2nd level archer carried the day!

I felt a bit of struggle not getting xp for hitting and defending in general

Gonna be an awesome campaign!
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Version 0.1.3 has now been posted to the 1.5 add-on server, complete with scenario 3 of the lawful branch "Thieves' Town". The chaotic branch isn't going to be started until the lawful one is finished, sadly.

Due to various bugfixes "Thieves' Town" hasn't been fully tested as yet; I'll get to it.
Necromancer (campaign)

cretin

Re: 1.5 Level 0 campaign: Fool's Errand

Post by cretin »

you should probably start updating your first post for as this thread gets longer some might not notice if you made any changes.

This campaign looks like fun ill give it a try.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

tried the game and it's quite interesting =)
sneakthief

Post by sneakthief »

third scenario... :augh: :augh: too many thugs, I lost all my guys that leveled within the first 8 turns, and they were just sitting on the villages>< other thatn that awsome game so far
cretin

Post by cretin »

i had a lot of problems, mostly with those surprise encounters all over the freaking place, but came out pretty good. Ended the Scenario with a White Mage, Red Mage, lvl 3 Archer, lvl 2 Archer, General (the lord guy), my lvl 2 leader, 2 fencers, lvl 2 heavy infantry, and a lvl 2 pikeman (maybe some more i cant remember right now (At least one lvl 2 rabble rouser)).

EDIT: Started the Scenario with 5 lvl 1's (2 Spearman, Archer, and 2 Rabble Rousers)
My replay is corrupt so i dont know the exact ending.

I have to agree though there are SOO many enemies wandering around, and thugs really hurt.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

The trouble with thug-spamming is acknowledgeded, and will be fixed in about 2 minutes when I upload the next version to the 1.5 add-on server. cretin, I'd restart the scenario as your levelled up units could make the rest of the campaign too easy. [SPOILER WARNING:] If nothing else, Baron Mandrogan is scheduled to die in combat scenario 4, so making him a General was a bit of a waste of time [SPOILERS END HERE]

Sadly, I also had to remove the code that makes sewage poison units, as it made the game freeze on my machine.
Necromancer (campaign)

cretin

Post by cretin »

ah i liked that feature, the sewage. yeah i think i overdid the levelling up, i figured i did but just wanted to tell you that some 'can' possibly get rediculously strong units. Is it possible that you can cap unit level to 2 or something?
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Orcish Shyde wrote: Sadly, I also had to remove the code that makes sewage poison units, as it made the game freeze on my machine.
that was what made me killing thugs simple enough =\
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

lu_zero wrote:
Orcish Shyde wrote: Sadly, I also had to remove the code that makes sewage poison units, as it made the game freeze on my machine.
that was what made me killing thugs simple enough =\
Good thing you don't have to face hordes of thugs anymore then.

Also: Uploaded a new version to the add-on server, including a dialogue scenario and combat scenario 4 "Spirit Host".
Spoiler:
Necromancer (campaign)

syntheticsoul

Post by syntheticsoul »

It was definitely possible to kill the leader in scenario 4, at least on easy. With two white mages and the fanatic's illuminate ability the ghosts go down no problem, letting you go straight for his keep and knock him out before turn 10. Maybe add some lvl2 units around his keep as bodyguards so the player is hesitant to go on the offensive? And walking corpses/soulless might be better than ghouls so that the allied units can be turned and used against you, adding to the defensive feel.

But so far this is a very interesting campaign, keep at it!
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

thieves spam is seems as damaging btw.