The appearance of the NO FOG clan.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Locked
Tippsey
Posts: 226
Joined: May 19th, 2005, 4:41 am

Post by Tippsey »

Meh never joining this but you could always go the w3 way of clans and just use nf at the end of the name, looks a lot less clunky.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
User avatar
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer
Posts: 1973
Joined: February 21st, 2005, 9:37 pm
Location: Kazakh
Contact:

Post by Doc Paterson »

King Arthur wrote:You're making me angry Doc.
And you're making me laugh again, which I appreciate. Did you have a problem with something I said?
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Saurian Bibleist
Posts: 19
Joined: April 17th, 2005, 8:57 pm

Post by Saurian Bibleist »

King Arthur wrote:You're making me angry Doc, I have a proposal,
You know, it's funny- You made some comments on the server about people not knowing how to use commas, didn't you? Let me help you out.

"You're making me angry, Doc. I have a proposal ; ..."
Take that plank out of your eye.
Saurian Bibleist
Posts: 19
Joined: April 17th, 2005, 8:57 pm

Post by Saurian Bibleist »

Dragon of Flame wrote:
King Arthur wrote:You're making me angry Doc, I have a proposal, we play a 1x1 you and me, you use undead and I use loyalists, on any map I chose, if you lose you'll have to join the clan fog, if I lose I'll leave it.
Be careful Arthur.
:twisted:
Take that plank out of your eye.
Dave
Founding Developer
Posts: 7071
Joined: August 17th, 2003, 5:07 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by Dave »

Right. I'm off to log onto the server with the username 'Dave NO FOG NO SHROUD NO DRAKES PLZ MORTUIRI ONLY NO RECRUITING'.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
unsung
Posts: 708
Joined: May 15th, 2005, 5:54 pm
Location: Raging somewhere..

Post by unsung »

lmao.
I'm going to add all that to my name sometime for fun.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Re: The appearance of the NO FOG clan.

Post by Noy »

Elvish Pillager wrote: Reasons to dislike fog:
  • It all but eliminates the Undo feature; Undo is a very important feature and should not be trifled with.
  • It facilitates winning by unwesnothish means; to surprise an opponent is not to defeat him tactically.
  • It is annoying to be surprised from the fog; fun should not be had at the other's expense.
I think that basically covers it.
#1 I don't find UNDO a vital feature. It might be in SP (but then again so is save loading), but in MP since everything else is final, making moves isn't

#2 thats completely wrong, and for someone who is researching strategy and tactics, its quite ignorant. You quote Sun Tzu extensively... well here is a good one for you;

All War is based on Deception.
(book 1 #18 )


And again, its only your view that it is "unwesnothy." It depends completely on your point of view of what wesnoth consist of. I think the wesnoth is a strategy game and I think it should have as many aspects that inform strategy and tactics as possible.

#3 Thats part of the game. Fog brings a new, uncertain element to the game. it makes recruitment that much harder. Actually in many fog games I don't purchase units anything but scouts until I know what I'm up against. I've also designed new purchase strategies to get the best balance against as many different factions. And its displays far more skill to use units that are not the best suited for a particular faction, than it is to automatically know what to purchase and use the main stratgies against an enemy.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Post by Noy »

Dave wrote:Right. I'm off to log onto the server with the username 'Dave NO FOG NO SHROUD NO DRAKES PLZ MORTUIRI ONLY NO RECRUITING'.
TRAITOR! You promised to join my NO FOG NO SHROUD NO DRAKES MORTUITY NO RECTUITING AND NO EXPERT clan!!1!11

I am going to hax0r your computer!
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Post by Noy »

Upon discussing with dave, We've decided to form the No Strategy clan.

Its really hard, that umm thinking stuff, so we want to play games that we don't have to. It sucks when someone thinks more than you and then win :(

Seriously though, I don't mind no fog games. I personally don;t like them, but thats whats great about wesnoth, you can play as you wish. Making a clan about it though... thats umm weak.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
superabo
Posts: 16
Joined: May 16th, 2005, 8:27 pm

Post by superabo »

Can I join the "fog sometimes" clan? I like fog (and shroud) on big random maps, because it feels more like warfare, and it's fun to have to change your strategy on the spot upon encountering new enemies and terrain. I prefer no fog on small maps (Mortiuri) that have more of a tactics/duel feel. I also like playing no fog when I'm teaching other people, since they learn much less if they can't see what's going on.

*Not joining* fog games is (I agree with Noy) weak sauce, even if that's your preference.
User avatar
Cuyo Quiz
Posts: 1777
Joined: May 21st, 2005, 12:02 am
Location: South America

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Dave, Noy, you made my day.

Don't let anyone tell you the devs are bad, kids.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
ryn
Posts: 196
Joined: August 23rd, 2004, 4:01 am
Location: Israel

Post by ryn »

well, I support the concept of fogless games, but Noy did say (and I have to agree) that all caps is quite annoying. Therefore, (and since my name is just as short as the word fog, which makes fitting 'fogless' or something into it seem quite stupid) I'll be playing as 'ryn' but preferring non-foggy games.

I don't plan to argue against or for fog and how it affects gameplay; the style is completely different, almost as if one is playing a different game. Nor do I plan to refute Noy's statement (forgive me for paraphrasing, I am willing to be corrected) that 'I can't win with fog' after a lost fog match; quite lame, because the skill of a player doesn't matter much if you don't plan to play him (note that Noy did not appear to have the will to play me at the time, and observed said match).
2B |! 2B = 3F
User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin »

Hm... I still don't see an argument for fog that convinces me. ;)

I shall use "No-fog Turin", I guess. It looks a bit odd, but it'll be fine.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Breeblebox
Posts: 209
Joined: October 27th, 2004, 8:24 am
Location: New Zealand

Post by Breeblebox »

Evish Pulmoner wrote:
Braedlepox wrote:
  • The undo feature is for sissies.
    Suprise is a tactic.
    Fun is always had at your opponent's expense.
Duck Pitterson wrote:(No offense to anyone.
...
This Clan is TRASH!
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
User avatar
Dragon of Flame
Posts: 33
Joined: July 18th, 2005, 5:56 pm
Location: U.S.

Post by Dragon of Flame »

Ummm...
You with the troll and those goblins!
What purpose is quoting something someone else said and doing nothing else gonna serve? :?: :?
I still don't understand economy. All our money is based on a shiny rock that's hard to find.
Locked