The old, unbalanced, 0.8.11

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:Instead, it should be northern men, along the lines of the marauders.
With the proposed stats (especially the movetype) of Greylings, they'll be quite complemenary to Dwarves, I think.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
turin wrote:Instead, it should be northern men, along the lines of the marauders.
With the proposed stats (especially the movetype) of Greylings, they'll be quite complemenary to Dwarves, I think.
What else do they have in common?

If they have nothing else in common, it will be just as weird as adding outlaws to dwarves...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Well, uh, WTF is a greyling?

But, if you mean they will be good in water/sand/grass, while dwarves are good in mountains/hills/forest... I agree. They will complement each other nicely.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Disto

Post by Disto »

So me and Shadow here are battling for pride of place.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Disto wrote:So me and Shadow here are battling for pride of place.
I´m not battling I like your marauders and our units are too different to be compared. We will see which one will fit better. I think both will find a place where they fit.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Elvish_Pillager

turin wrote:Well, uh, WTF is a greyling?
Temporary name of a group of humans who are probably going to end up being 'mercenaries'.
turin wrote:But, if you mean they will be good in water/sand/grass, while dwarves are good in mountains/hills/forest... I agree. They will complement each other nicely.
Their movetype gives them better moves and/or defense in Mountains, Cave, Tundra, Swamp, and Sand.
Disto wrote:So me and Shadow here are battling for pride of place.
No, I think that it's actually a good thing 'overloading the game with units'. More human tribes gives more versitality in possible campaign opponents, for instance. Disto's Marauders are good as 'Chaotic non-wimpy Humans', with interestingly dangerous units. Shadow's Mercenaries are also good, since they're neutral humans, and neutral humans are important if you want to have a good variety of human opponents.

As a side note, the Marauders need an archer. Possibly with 9-2 ranged Pierce damage.

Back to Knalgans & Mercs: The Mercenaries have a mage with Heals. Since both 'generic magic' and Healing are things the Knalgans probably shouldn't have, the Mercenary Warlock probably shouldn't join them... And the rest shouldn't either, because then the faction is an ill-formed alliance. Again. :irritated:

In my view, we should set the Ulfserker's resistances to 0, reduce Berserk to three rounds, decrease the Dwarf Fighter's cost to 16, the Thunderer's cost to 17, change the Thunderer's ranged attack to do Fire damage, reduce Steadfast's damage reduction to 30%[1], increase Guardsmen's melee to 6-3 and ranged to 5-1, remove the Thug and Poacher, and see what happens in the next version.

Alas, that doesn't seem like it's going to happen...

[1]I'm going to start a new thread on this, don't comment here.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Back to Knalgans & Mercs: The Mercenaries have a mage with Heals. Since both 'generic magic' and Healing are things the Knalgans probably shouldn't have, the Mercenary Warlock probably shouldn't join them... And the rest shouldn't either, because then the faction is an ill-formed alliance. Again. :irritated:
Eh? Just because you don't add the entire mercenary group doesn't mean you shouldn't add any! I was going to be against adding them all anyway.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

turin wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Back to Knalgans & Mercs: The Mercenaries have a mage with Heals. Since both 'generic magic' and Healing are things the Knalgans probably shouldn't have, the Mercenary Warlock probably shouldn't join them... And the rest shouldn't either, because then the faction is an ill-formed alliance. Again. :irritated:
Eh? Just because you don't add the entire mercenary group doesn't mean you shouldn't add any! I was going to be against adding them all anyway.
No, that wasn't a conclusion from the previous statement; it was a wholly seperate statement (which admittedly was confusing in the context...)
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Um.. EP.. are you sure this is a wise idea? I am thinking the 'mercenaries' would make a fine faction all by themselves.. perhaps under another name.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Elvish_Pillager

Na'enthos wrote:Um.. EP.. are you sure this is a wise idea? I am thinking the 'mercenaries' would make a fine faction all by themselves.. perhaps under another name.
Which idea? The last idea I posed was that nothing should be added to the Knalgans, nay indeed that two units should be taken away.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Wait... huh?!?

The idea, AFAIKnew, was to give the knalgans the Marauders, not the Mercenaries. I agree the mercenaries would be a bad fit, but not, IMHO, the marauders.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

turin wrote:Wait... huh?!?

The idea, AFAIKnew, was to give the knalgans the Marauders, not the Mercenaries.
My idea was to add the Mercenaries. Someone else's idea might have been to add the Marauders, but I don't know about that.
turin wrote:I agree the mercenaries would be a bad fit,
Who the heck are you agreeing with? And why?
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Elvish Pillager wrote: With the proposed stats (especially the movetype) of Greylings, they'll be quite complemenary to Dwarves, I think.
Umm.. Greylings?
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Burnsaber wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: With the proposed stats (especially the movetype) of Greylings, they'll be quite complemenary to Dwarves, I think.
Umm.. Greylings?
Look here
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=15
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
turin wrote:Wait... huh?!?

The idea, AFAIKnew, was to give the knalgans the Marauders, not the Mercenaries.
My idea was to add the Mercenaries. Someone else's idea might have been to add the Marauders, but I don't know about that.
Whatever. I always thought it was the plan to add the marauders, which I agree with.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
turin wrote:I agree the mercenaries would be a bad fit,
Who the heck are you agreeing with? And why?
You! Or is that not what you said?
Elvish Pillager wrote:Which idea? The last idea I posed was that nothing should be added to the Knalgans, nay indeed that two units should be taken away.
The World of Orbivm