Necromancers vs Liches

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Caphriel
Posts: 994
Joined: April 21st, 2008, 4:10 pm

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by Caphriel »

Neither are liches.
quantumfleet
Posts: 38
Joined: June 17th, 2011, 1:26 am

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by quantumfleet »

hhyloc wrote:I'll use Necromancer when facing an army consists mainly of Mage. Namely the A Small Favor Part 2 scenario in DiD. When you have to fight a lot of Red Mages and White Mages to get through.
I wasn't aware that DiD even gives you the choice to level up your dark sorcerers into liches. I certainly couldn't, the last time I played DiD. A month ago.
Currently working on various ideas using 1.9.8.9
User avatar
powershot
Posts: 1193
Joined: May 7th, 2011, 3:03 am
Location: Central America
Contact:

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by powershot »

You can't, it says so in the code.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
User avatar
Great_Mage_Atari
Posts: 932
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Who ever said it was the original coding :whistle:
User avatar
Iris
Site Administrator
Posts: 6757
Joined: November 14th, 2006, 5:54 pm
Location: Chile
Contact:

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by Iris »

You can choose between Liches and Necromancers from the penultimate scenario onwards.
Add-ons server (campaignd) admin and maintainer
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm (now available for Wesnoth 1.14.x and 1.15.4+).
User avatar
hhyloc
Translator
Posts: 234
Joined: July 6th, 2009, 3:19 am
Location: the netherworld

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by hhyloc »

quantumfleet wrote:
hhyloc wrote:I'll use Necromancer when facing an army consists mainly of Mage. Namely the A Small Favor Part 2 scenario in DiD. When you have to fight a lot of Red Mages and White Mages to get through.
I wasn't aware that DiD even gives you the choice to level up your dark sorcerers into liches. I certainly couldn't, the last time I played DiD. A month ago.
My bad, I finished the campaign a long time ago so I didn't remember if I cant level DS into Lich or not. But my statement above will still apply to other scenarios and campaigns.
R.I.P
User avatar
averyimaginativename
Posts: 245
Joined: August 21st, 2010, 12:40 pm
Location: /dev/null

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by averyimaginativename »

Thanks for all the replies.

Listen to everything that's been said, I played DiD again and modified the game so I could level adepts to liches before the penultimate scenario.

The resistances make a much bigger difference in Alone At Last than I had realised. You don't usually face so many Arcane/Fire enemies in one sweep (or rather, they're diluted by other damage types), and you don't normally get liches here either.

But the biggest thing I overlooked was this:
17-2 is more desirable when the enemy has between 12 and 17 HP left. You can take him out in a single successful hit, where it would take 2 with 12-3. Then, again, more valuable between 25 and 34 HP, when you could take out the enemy with two successful hits, but the 12-3 would require 3. Both large-damage low-frequency attacks and large-frequency low-damage attacks are valuable, but in different situations.
The first part, I knew. The second part (between 25 and 34 HP) never occurred to me.

So yeah, I know when to advance Necromancers now.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
ayearhasgone
Posts: 56
Joined: October 28th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by ayearhasgone »

I was pondering the same issue, glad I found this thread.

I will say that the lich's submerge ability is most valuable when dealing with maps with a good deal of water.
User avatar
Great_Mage_Atari
Posts: 932
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Yes, except for the fact that if it gets caught in a melee fight in the middle of shallow water, it's more than likely a goner.
ayearhasgone
Posts: 56
Joined: October 28th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by ayearhasgone »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:Yes, except for the fact that if it gets caught in a melee fight in the middle of shallow water, it's more than likely a goner.
Eh, necromancers don't really fare in water either. Not that I would put one there...
jonadab
Posts: 148
Joined: October 7th, 2005, 2:33 am
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by jonadab »

thespaceinvader wrote:17-2 is more desirable when the enemy has between 12 and 17 HP left. You can take him out in a single successful hit, where it would take 2 with 12-3. Then, again, more valuable between 25 and 34 HP, when you could take out the enemy with two successful hits, but the 12-3 would require 3. Both large-damage low-frequency attacks and large-frequency low-damage attacks are valuable, but in different situations.
That's all assuming your goal is to kill the enemy with your high-level unit. In campaigns the reverse is frequently the case (you want to just weaken it and then give the kill to a lower-level unit), in which case 17-2 would be better than 12-3 when the enemy unit has 18-23 HP left.

Also, don't forget to adjust those numbers for resistances and time of day.

------
ayearhasgone wrote:
Great_Mage_Atari wrote:Eh, necromancers don't really fare in water either. Not that I would put one there...
Not even to attack enemy cuttlefish?
Spoiler:
Last edited by Pentarctagon on September 19th, 2011, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post
I write Bible School materials:
http://bibleschoolmaterials.blogspot.com/
Post Reply