bumbadadabum's WML tags

Discussion of Lua and LuaWML support, development, and ideas.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

bumbadadabum's WML tags

Post by Astoria »

I've decided to put my (limited) knowledge of Lua to use to make some WML tags. So far, I've finished one, but I'll (hopefully) finish the other ideas I have soon.

Tags:

[flash_image]:

This tag blinks an image, like HIGHLIGHT_IMAGE does in core, but in lua, is more compact, and has more options.
Usage:

Code: Select all

[flash_image]
image= --the image to be displayed
x,y= --the location where it will be displayed
delay= --the time the image stays displayed (when blinking more than once, this is also the time between blinks
times= --the amount of times the image is blinked
stays_on_map= (default=yes) --Whether the image stays on the map afterwards
[/flash_image]
coding:
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: bumbadadabum's WML tags

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

First of all, let me say that this tag looks like a solid candidate at least for the WLP. So, keep up the good work. 8)
However, there are two things that ought to be fixed or improved:
1) The x, y keys:

It'll be better if, instead of x and y, you modify the tag to accept a StandardLocationFilter, without the [filter_location] sub-tag.
2) Booleans:

local stays_on_map = cfg.stays_on_map or true
As you may already know, Lua has only two values equivalent to a boolean false: false and nil. Everything else, including zeros, empty strings and empty tables, is always true. Your intention was to have a "if stays_on_map is not supplied, then it's true", right? Then please consider for a moment what will happen in both situations:
stays_on_map is missing -> missing value is translated by WML as nil -> nil is false -> (false OR true) = true
stays_on_map = no -> no is translated by WML as false -> (false OR true) -> true
Considering that every other value is true, and (true OR true) = true, you have a bug. To solve it, I'd suggest to change the line this way:

local stays_on_map
if cfg.stays_on_map == false then
    stays_on_map = false
else
    stays_on_map = true
end
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: bumbadadabum's WML tags

Post by Astoria »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:First of all, let me say that this tag looks like a solid candidate at least for the WLP. So, keep up the good work. 8)
However, there are two things that ought to be fixed or improved:
1) The x, y keys:

It'll be better if, instead of x and y, you modify the tag to accept a StandardLocationFilter, without the [filter_location] sub-tag.
2) Booleans:

local stays_on_map = cfg.stays_on_map or true
As you may already know, Lua has only two values equivalent to a boolean false: false and nil. Everything else, including zeros, empty strings and empty tables, is always true. Your intention was to have a "if stays_on_map is not supplied, then it's true", right? Then please consider for a moment what will happen in both situations:
stays_on_map is missing -> missing value is translated by WML as nil -> nil is false -> (false OR true) = true
stays_on_map = no -> no is translated by WML as false -> (false OR true) -> true
Considering that every other value is true, and (true OR true) = true, you have a bug. To solve it, I'd suggest to change the line this way:

local stays_on_map
if cfg.stays_on_map == false then
    stays_on_map = false
else
    stays_on_map = true
end
Thanks for the tips, I'll change it as soon as I have access to a computer.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.