The Big Change

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Gambit
Loose Screw

The Big Change

Post by Gambit »

No, this thread has nothing to do with middle aged women.

Anywho last time I left Wesnoth for an extended period and came back to find a whole new version (1.2.6 to 1.4.3) all my hard work was broken.

Now I have been keeping up to date on reading but I haven't played or updated any code since 1.4.7

Need I be concerned about GEB when 1.6 comes out? As far as I am aware no major addon breaking changes will be occuring. You've updated the terrain for 2 layers instead of one and added some terrains, but the old ones are intact. You've updated the WML engine and added some new tags and revised some old ones, but mostly its still the same.

So did I just answer my own question?

Basically I plan to release GEB 3.0 the day 1.6 comes out (I've been working on it all week but again I still have 1.4.7), and it would look rather stupid if it didn't work. So what I'm asking is, do I have a reason to be nervous? And if there are going to be major addon breaking changes will wmlint or whatever its called fix them?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: The Big Change

Post by ivanovic »

Add-ons from 1.4.7 will *not* work without any changes for 1.6. This is why we already asked WML creators to port their work once WML was rather stable (as in: "we started the rc series"). Most changes can probably be done via wmllint, but this is not guranteed. You should definitely run wmllint as first step of the conversion to 1.6. Afterwards some more fixes by hand might required, about this I am not sure.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Specifics?

Anywhere I can get WMLint standalone? I don't have time do dl source code right now.

And will downloading one of these "release cantidates" be a good test for it? And after wmlint, will the release cantidates tell me whats wrong (like you know the error messages when you try to load up a multiplayer game it tells you about missing tags and such).

also where can I find a thread (if at all) where there is more info, specifically when you first mentioned that it would be incompatible? "we told them to post their work"

it sucks that during the school year I simply have no time for wesnoth :(
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trunk/data/tools/

wmllint is in there, it requires wmltools and wmliterator, which are located in the wesnoth folder.

These should also be included in the binary package though, so take a look in the data/tools directory.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

AI saves the day again.

I take back everything I've ever said about AI being unintelligent.

Spoiler:
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Okay I can't figure out how to get it to run.. It opens and then closes right away. Where can I find more in depth instructions than the wiki.
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

okay, open up the "run" thing on your startup bar. Then enter "cmd" and press enter, a big black thing opens up. then put in:

python "C:/filepathtowesnoth/data/tools/wmllint" "C:/filepathto/things you want checked" thats how I did it. it took me afew tries and afew people to figure out.

btw. the quotes are supposed to be in the input, and all three of those inputs go in at the same time. not python then wmllint then thing you want checked, all at once. and don't put any / before the last quote, it messed it up for me, that's about all I know.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

what about these WMLtools and wmliterator files? where and how to download them? they open in IE as a ton of text?

save them as .py files? but where to?

pythons not recongnized as a command...
Last edited by Gambit on March 23rd, 2009, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsychoticKittens

for wmliterator (which is the only other I barely know how to use) go to wesnoth/data/tools/wesnoth (yes, /wesnoth again) and doubleclick on wmliterator, it will automatically run on its own unlike wmllint (atleast it did for me) then you input the filepath for what you want checked.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I can't get it and I'm getting really frustrated. I can see my entire last summer vacation... over 1mb solid of text... all floating down the drain.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

It's working but it did a ton of stuff and now it's been sitting here for 20 minutes on "converting filepath blah blah blah crops.cfg"

it freezes on that in dry run too...
PsychoticKittens

yeah, thats essentially what it does. I completely refitted my stuff by hand (thats more than 600 .cfg files)

Edit: Don't be like me though, find someone who can explain what its doing, and tell you how to get that to work for you. It'd likely be faster (although still take awhile because you have no idea whats going on right now).
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Well basically what happens is that the right click menus appear and they work (I think) except they don't change terrain at all...

just checked... I checked several different options and everything is working except for that it isnt chagning the terrain...

[terrain]
x=$x1
y=$y1
letter="Gg"
[/terrain]

must be out of date?

okay just have to go through all my macros with edit->find and replace everywhere it says "letter=" with "terrain="