Gcc internal error

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Leslie

Gcc internal error

Post by Leslie »

Hi all!

I'm a new linux user, and I'm in trouble with compiling wesnoth 0.7. When compiling ".deps/game.Tpo", I've got an error message. Gcc internal error or something like that. I'm using Gcc 3.3.2. I tryed to save the error message with: "make > error" but it didn't save it. How can I save it? How can I compile the game? Can somebody help me?

Yours: Les
Frank

Re: Gcc internal error

Post by Frank »

Leslie wrote:Hi all!

I'm a new linux user, and I'm in trouble with compiling wesnoth 0.7. When compiling ".deps/game.Tpo", I've got an error message. Gcc internal error or something like that. I'm using Gcc 3.3.2. I tryed to save the error message with: "make > error" but it didn't save it. How can I save it? How can I compile the game? Can somebody help me?

Try:
make >error 2>&1

However, if you really have an internal compiler error, people here probably won't be able to help you, since this is either a bug in the compiler or a hardware problem.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Frank wrote:
Leslie wrote:Hi all!

Try:
make >error 2>&1

However, if you really have an internal compiler error, people here probably won't be able to help you, since this is either a bug in the compiler or a hardware problem.
Thanx for the command! Here is the result:
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/leslie/Jatekok/wesnoth-0.7'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/leslie/Jatekok/wesnoth-0.7/src'
Making all in .
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/leslie/Jatekok/wesnoth-0.7/src'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -DWESNOTH_PATH="/usr/local/share/wesnoth" -g -O2 -MT game.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/game.Tpo" \
-c -o game.o `test -f 'game.cpp' || echo './'`game.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/game.Tpo" ".deps/game.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/game.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
g++: Internal error: Megölve (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make[3]: *** [game.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/leslie/Jatekok/wesnoth-0.7/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/leslie/Jatekok/wesnoth-0.7/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/leslie/Jatekok/wesnoth-0.7'
make: *** [all] Error 2
What do you think?
I hope it isn't a hardware problem... I'll try to compile with gcc 3.3.3
How works this command? (make >error 2>&1)

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

These lines:
g++: Internal error: Megölve (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
Are basically saying that it's a gcc bug and you should submit a bug report to gcc.

You could also try a different compiler version.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Frank

Post by Frank »

Leslie wrote: How works this command? (make >error 2>&1)
In Unix, standard output or stdout, is filedescriptor 1, and standard error or stderr, which is usually used for error messages, is filedescriptor 2.

In the shell, > and | work on stdout by default, so they don't capture error messages. To capture only the error messages, you could have done
make 2>error

The 2>&1 says to redirect stderr to stdout, whis is redirected to the file by the >error part.

If you need more information about this, try http://rute.2038bug.com/, which explains this and much more.

Frank
Frank

Post by Frank »

Leslie wrote: What do you think?
I hope it isn't a hardware problem... I'll try to compile with gcc 3.3.3
Try compiling a few more times. If it always stops at exatly the same point, even after rebooting and make clean, it is almost certainly not a hardware problem (these are more random).

Frank
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Thank you very much for the help!
The compiling stops always at the same point... Then there isn't a hardware problem. :) huhh
Do I have to uninstall the old gcc before install the new, or can I simply upgrade it?

thx: Les
Frank

Post by Frank »

Leslie wrote:Thank you very much for the help!
The compiling stops always at the same point... Then there isn't a hardware problem. :) huhh
Do I have to uninstall the old gcc before install the new, or can I simply upgrade it?

What distribution do you use ? Try to find an updated package, which should take care of all upgrading details.
Upgrading gcc by hand is not easy, and not at all recommended for a beginner.

Frank
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Frank wrote:
Leslie wrote:Thank you very much for the help!

What distribution do you use ? Try to find an updated package, which should take care of all upgrading details.
Upgrading gcc by hand is not easy, and not at all recommended for a beginner.

Frank
I'm using the hungarian UHU-linux! There is in the package manager an older gcc (2.95), should I try it? Can I have both, and choose one for compiling?

Leslie
Frank

Post by Frank »

Leslie wrote:
I'm using the hungarian UHU-linux! There is in the package manager an older gcc (2.95), should I try it? Can I have both, and choose one for compiling?
On most distributions, 2.95 can be installed at the same time as 3.x.
If so, the c++ compiler will probably be called g++-2.95, and you can use:

Code: Select all

CXX=g++-2.95 ./configure
I am not sure if wesnoth supports gcc 2.95 however.

Something else you might try is

Code: Select all

CXXFLAGS="" ./configure
, to turn off optimizations. This might avoid the compiler problems.

Also, you should probably submit a bug report with UHU-linux, to make sure they know about the problem, and (try to) can fix it. I can't help you with that however, as I don't understand the website.

Frank
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

Frank wrote: I am not sure if wesnoth supports gcc 2.95 however.
There's no official support for 2.95, but it's tried to maintain compatibility. Wesnoth normally compiles fine with gcc 2.95 but from time to time problems have appeared.

I last compiled in gcc 2.95.3 wesnoth 0.7.1-CVS from some days ago and it worked fine
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

An advice from someone who had to play with gcc compilation/installation for work

don't.

gcc is really complicated, it will install it's own compiling headers and have to have precisely the same header it installed. so try as much as possible to use the compiler provided by your distribution, and avoid compiling/installing it yourself. Mixing various version of gcc is possible but rather tricky, I wouldn't do it unless both versions come from packages provided by my distro