Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Reepurr's stuff: Rainforest shelter

Post by artisticdude »

Well whaddaya know, another unfinished edit! It kinda deviates from your original design a bit in places, but again it's more for the purpose of illustration that an attempt at something polished. :)

So anyway. A few more crits:

The helmet shape was asymmetric, so I did an edit there so it isn't quite as flat looking in the back.

He's leaning backward a bit, due to the position of his feet. Moving his right leg back a bit fixes that impression.

You're relying too heavily on single lines of pixels to define shapes in some areas (the, for example). It's generally more effective (and better looking) to avoid lines if at all possible and use clusters instead.

When AA-ing, you should never place bright pixels immediately next to dark pixels, it becomes very jagged looking (lower rim of the shield, specifically). It doesn't have to be a complete gradient using every color in the palette (that's a form of banding). Usually three colors at most will serve just fine.

This isn't really a big issue for you, but I'll throw it out there anyway: Don't feel like you have to use every color in your palette in every part of your sprite. Armor pieces that are directly illuminated by the lightsource generally won't need the darkest shades in your palette, and by the same logic the areas in shadow won't need the lightest shades in the palette.

Finally, remember that specular highlights are never right at the edge of an object unless the light is coming from directly behind it. For Wesnoth's lightsource, the specular highlight will often end up just to the left of the center of an object, dependent of course on the shape and any shadows cast/light blocked by nearby objects.

...I'm probably annoying the heck out of you by this point, but there it is. :geek:
Attachments
edit.png
edit.png (19.69 KiB) Viewed 958 times
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."