SFault's (franken) art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SFault

SFault's (franken) art

Post by SFault »

I tried to make sprites from the scratch, but didn't manage to do so. They ended up very ugly. So, I decided to do what I'm pretty good at frankensteining. Here are some of my units. My plan is to make some variations of the heroic units so that they can be used in council-type scenarios with only dialogue. Any comments?
Attachments
group1.png
group1.png (70.52 KiB) Viewed 17045 times
Last edited by SFault on July 27th, 2010, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Frogger5

Re: SFault's franken art

Post by Frogger5 »

these
are
awesome
!

I cant actually think of anything wrong. OK I did find one thing. Second from the bottom on the left, the fairy with the spear (or whatever she is) I think her spear could use not being perfectly straight, right now it doesn't look like a very comfortable position. Couple more things.
Bottom left and right's swords need a bit of cleaning up so they don't look so jagged. And top second form the right's beard could probably use being a bit more orange. Thats all I got :D.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

These are really nice for frankensteins. Frogger5 already mentioned the main issues, and I have nothing else to add there except the orcish ruler frankenstein's face seems too undefined.
SFault wrote:I tried to make sprites from the scratch, but didn't manage to do so.
Don't worry about that too much right now, just practice by drawing little additions to frankensteins right now. As you get more skilled and confident, it will be easier to draw larger and and larger portions of the sprites you create, until one day you discover you don't even need to use a frankenstein as a base (alas, I haven't reached that day yet :( , but this is my strategy :) ).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Yup.
Eventually you'll be able to create units from the main frame from other units (like I do) and eventually you'll get more confident. :D
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

The Defaldors are great. It would be good to alternate between his robes oer the HttT levels.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Zigg wrote:The Defaldors are great. It would be good to alternate between his robes oer the HttT levels.
Um, as an elder mage in HttT, Delfador can't level up any more, he can only do the default AMLA. And the next level of a unit should have more than just a recoloring of the clothing to distinguish him from the other levels.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

I mean he could wear 1 in Scenario 1, 2 in Scenario 2 etc.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Oh, okay, got it. :) So he would change his clothes after every battle so as to impress the next enemy by his cleanliness. :P

On a more serious note, the constant color switching might confuse first-time players, plus the fact that they might not recognize that Delfador is and elder mage if his clothes turn different colors all the time.

@SFault, are you gonna try any animation for these guys? :eng: I know it sounds impossible, but, having been in the exact same situation not too long ago, I can tell you that animation is a skill well worth learning. Not only does it make the units look better, it gives you more practice and more power over the creation of your sprites (plus giving you self confidence in your spriting abilities). If you don't feel ready for such a huge leap yet, don't worry. Just keep practicing until you are ready. :)
Last edited by artisticdude on January 10th, 2010, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

NB: delfador's clothes will stay one colour. This sort of thing won't happen in mainline in the foreseeable future.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Ehm...
Are these open for taking? :D
I mean, could I use a few of them, maybe tweak them a little first? If not, that's fine, but these are the best frankens I have ever seen. Seriously, these are incredible. I would love to use a few of them if you're ok with it.
SFault

Post by SFault »

Thanks for the comments. These are free to take, but I recommend to wait until I fix the mentioned thingies. (also noticed that the last one on the middle row has shadow problems). Might be that I also try to animate some of these, but after all the web banners became blinking I haven't really been into animation.

The point having different robed elder mages was to have some other tough dudes than Delfanor. Most likely I will adjust them a little in the head and staff.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
melinath

Post by melinath »

I'd also like to use one of these - specifically, the female archer peasant (last one on the right in the second row) - for my UMC, Brent. Could work well as a base frame for Brynne. Would you be interested in cloning over the woodsman's animations and fixing the shadow?
Captain_Wrathbow

I'm interested in the first one in the third row (the elvish javelineer) and the last one in the fourth row (the elvish knight guy with two swords) if it's ok with you. :)
SFault

Post by SFault »

melinath wrote:I'd also like to use one of these - specifically, the female archer peasant (last one on the right in the second row) - for my UMC, Brent. Could work well as a base frame for Brynne. Would you be interested in cloning over the woodsman's animations and fixing the shadow?
It seems to be only 6 frames, so I think it is possible.

Meanwhile, here are the fixed versions and few more.

@Cptn WB: It's ok with me. I think the helmet looks a bit goofy. Perhaps a breast plate would give some balance?
Attachments
group2.png
group2.png (43.02 KiB) Viewed 16924 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Captain_Wrathbow

SFault wrote:It's ok with me.
Thanks!
SFault wrote:I think the helmet looks a bit goofy. Perhaps a breast plate would give some balance?
Ehh, maybe, but it's good enough for me. I'm not picky. :D