Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
A-Red
Art Contributor

A-Red's sprite art (Sorrow, etc) -- In: Harvester, Thresher

Post by A-Red »

Hey all,

I'm getting into spriting, and will use this thread as a general dump for things I've made for Wesnoth. Critiques welcome. So far, only standing frames, no animations.

Sorrow Campaign - Undead (Cabal):

Wight, Dirigible:
ImageImage

Reaver:

Dreadnought:

Thrall, Heavy Thrall, Thrall Juggernaut:
ImageImageImage

Plague Walker, Plague Bearer, Plague Bringer:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Winnower, Harvester, Thresher:
ImageImageImage

Whisper, Silent:
ImageImage

Flesh Hulk:

Cabal Lich:

Sorrow Campaign - Monsters:

Skaora the Blind:

Mainline

Owaec (pending base animations for cavalry):
ImageImageImage

Elf Lady (rejected):

Chocobone (rejected, but I animated the final version):

I've come a long way from this:

Thanks, and look for more soon!
Last edited by A-Red on October 7th, 2009, 3:33 pm, edited 61 times in total.
woodmouse

Re: A-Red's sprite art (Sorrow, etc)

Post by woodmouse »

A-Red wrote:Specific suggestions for improvement would be very helpful to me.
Well, Wesnoth sprites are in a different angle. But I won't say anything much, because I'm not an art person, even while I make lots of sprites. :lol:
Check out my sprites!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

woodmouse wrote:Well, Wesnoth sprites are in a different angle. But I won't say anything much, because I'm not an art person, even while I make lots of sprites. :lol:
They do tend to have the 3/4 right side angle, but Swordsman+ and Spearman+ are from the front, and most Elves and Undead have still another angle. The stiffness of the pose doesn't help my sprite much, but I wanted him to look pretty stiff and mindless, not even smart enough for a fighting stance. I'm still working on a way to reconcile that aspect of his character with making a somewhat more interesting sprite. The typical Wesnoth angle might indeed help.

I've added a second sprite to the original post--another undead unit, and this time it has the angle.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

The bad thing about making him look at front is that, until you make an animation, the attack would look weird (but very funny).
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Is the Zombie Dude meant to be fat?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For your sprites, particularly the newest one, they appear to be on the smaller side. I know you are not that far off from a mainline sprite, but you are missing the oversized elements used in those sprites to make up for their small size.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Wow, that fat guy is really cool. :)
Check out my sprites!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Turuk wrote:For your sprites, particularly the newest one, they appear to be on the smaller side. I know you are not that far off from a mainline sprite, but you are missing the oversized elements used in those sprites to make up for their small size.
I think I agree, but on the other hand I actually used Wesnoth sprites to create proportion-lines that I used to make these sprites--head, legs, and body. I sized the fat one (wight) from the Walking Corpse, and the other one I think from the Elf Archer. What am I missing? The guidelines I made were for height only, none for girth--is that why they look off?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Perhaps, it does seem a bit on the scrawny side for some reason, though I cannot pin down why either.

Remember that Wesnoth sprites tend to have slightly oversized heads to make room for detail, and that the hands should be large enough to give the impression of a proper hand shape/fingers (though not all of them individually). Given the lack of armor or weaponry on the wight in particular seems to make him look smaller, as that usually provides the extra girth on some other units. You may want to draw him a bit larger then.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Here's an update on the wight:

You can see them side by side in the first post. Is this one better? I've been looking at them too long, and I have a hard time telling.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Indeed, it definitely appears to be much bigger even though it only has a difference of maybe a pixel or two in height? The proportions now make it appear larger as well.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Another unit, the winnower (or soulless, if it wasn't already taken). I've made two versions, one somewhat simpler. I'd like to handle the mystic smoke better than I did, but I'm not sure how yet.

Kind of small again, but in this case it should be. Only half a body. I suspect that when I put in the shadow, the scale will look better.

ImageImage
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

He'll have weapons, but I want to finish the body first. I don't think I've got the crouch stance right on this guy. Can anyone give me some pointers on fixing the pose? This is a frenzy unit, and I want him to look like he's ready to spring at you and tear you to shreds.

I also think it's too small, yet again--it was hard to avoid, given his posture, but I think I need to deal with it somehow. The head is definitely the right size, and I think the arms and legs are too--torso and thighs, maybe? Or do I just need to get the pose right?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

A-Red wrote:He'll have weapons, but I want to finish the body first. I don't think I've got the crouch stance right on this guy. Can anyone give me some pointers on fixing the pose? This is a frenzy unit, and I want him to look like he's ready to spring at you and tear you to shreds.
I believe it has to do with how far apart his legs are spread. He is crouching down, but more in a defensive posture than in an effort to coil his legs under and attack someone.

He still does seem a bit small, and the head, hands, and feet/legs could probably stand to be a little bigger. You should just keep an image of a mainline sprite open next to him to see how he compares.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Reaver update. One with just the new pose, another with weapons added:

ImageImage

It's certainly better, but is it good?

Also, I'm not sure whether the weapons do this image any service.