Using tiles from an add-on

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
1800doctorb

Using tiles from an add-on

Post by 1800doctorb »

Hello!
I recently installed the UMC Terrain Pack, but am struggling to understand how to use it.
The tiles appear within the Map Editor, but I get an "unknown tile in map" error if I try to load anything I've made that includes them.

I tried following some instructions, from elsewhere in this forum, that involved adding something to the '_main.cfg', and ended up with this error when I attempt to open Multiplayer from the title screen...

Details:

Preprocessor symbol 'AQUATIC:KEEP_CORNER_TRANSITION' defined at ~add-ons/UMC_Terrain_Pack/utils/Misc/misc-terrain-graphics.cfg:399 expects 5 arguments, but has 6 arguments
at core/terrain-graphics.cfg:618
included from _main.cfg:95

What is the standard way people use the UMC Terrain Pack, or their own custom terrain, in order to make it work in a multiplayer game? What steps would remote players need to take in order to play these maps with me? Is this even the intended use of such a terrain pack?

Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question.

(It's probably worth mentioning that I don't really know what I'm doing. If you have advice to give, you may need to really spell it out to me)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Using tiles from an add-on

Post by Pentarctagon »

I've not used UMC terrains through the map editor, but it sounds like you'll need to create a minimal add-on and add the UMC Terrain Pack's [binary_path] to that add-on's _main.cfg - this will let Wesnoth find the UMC Terrain Pack's terrains when loading the maps in your add-on. https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Create would be a good place to start, if you haven't already.

Worst case, you can zip and upload everything you have so far so that people can see exactly what's going on.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

It looks like the UMC Terrain Pack is available only for Wesnoth 1.12 - but you're trying to use it with Wesnoth 1.14? That's probably not going to work. (Add-ons for one version of Wesnoth are not necessarily compatible with other versions of Wesnoth.)
1800doctorb

Post by 1800doctorb »

gnombat wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 11:00 am It looks like the UMC Terrain Pack is available only for Wesnoth 1.12 - but you're trying to use it with Wesnoth 1.14? That's probably not going to work. (Add-ons for one version of Wesnoth are not necessarily compatible with other versions of Wesnoth.)
Is there therefore no way to use custom tiles at all anymore?
1800doctorb

Post by 1800doctorb »

Pentarctagon wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 4:44 am I've not used UMC terrains through the map editor, but it sounds like you'll need to create a minimal add-on and add the UMC Terrain Pack's [binary_path] to that add-on's _main.cfg - this will let Wesnoth find the UMC Terrain Pack's terrains when loading the maps in your add-on. https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Create would be a good place to start, if you haven't already.

Worst case, you can zip and upload everything you have so far so that people can see exactly what's going on.
Thank you. I'll try this tonight and see what happens!
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

1800doctorb wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 12:36 am What is the standard way people use the UMC Terrain Pack, or their own custom terrain, in order to make it work in a multiplayer game? What steps would remote players need to take in order to play these maps with me? Is this even the intended use of such a terrain pack?
The UMC Terrain Pack is a loose collection of all sorts of terrains and bugs, from which people copy the few parts they like into their own add-ons. To load anything in mp, you need an #ifdef MULTIPLAYER, and since you included non-core graphics, other people will need the add-on aswell.

I have some strange deja-vu about this thread. Have you followed these steps? Does this thread help?
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
1800doctorb

Post by 1800doctorb »

Apparently during the night SOMETHING that I tried has SORT OF worked as I can now access the maps in multiplayer. It still doesn't work for other players via the server, but the maps can be played in a local game now... so it's a sign that the pack can work in 1.14 ...

Interesting!

I wish I could remember what I've done that may have fixed this.
1800doctorb

Post by 1800doctorb »

MoonyDragon wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 12:46 pm
The UMC Terrain Pack is a loose collection of all sorts of terrains and bugs, from which people copy the few parts they like into their own add-ons. To load anything in mp, you need an #ifdef MULTIPLAYER, and since you included non-core graphics, other people will need the add-on aswell.

I have some strange deja-vu about this thread. Have you followed these steps? Does this thread help?
Yes! It seems that just adding an ifdef multiplayer to the Terrain Pack's _main is what does it. So I didn't make my own addon or anything in the end. I essentially just enabled multiplayer in the existing addon. I got a friend to do the same and it's bingo over the server. Cool.